Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Never Forget, what were you doing?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
on: September 11, 2020, 06:40:06 PM
Just a little something to put out for those who had fallen back on 9/11,

What were you doing at the time this all went down?

I was running my crew of plumbers, a Hilton gardens was going up and we were installing all the plumbing, at the time we were installing some of the bathtubs, when my wife calls me and says she was watching tv with the little guy (well old now) and something happened and I thought it was bs, She then called back saying it happened again and I should get my crew home, I looked around and noticed that a bunch of the carpenters and electricians had gathered up and were listening to radios so I told one of the crew to gather the guys and grab the radio, needless to say all work had stopped on the job site, things had cooled down and gone back to work except one guy, he pretty much sat in the stairwell with the radio tucked between his legs, I told him I’d have to dock him hours but he didn’t care, but I didn’t I just told him to keep everyone up to date on everything happening, when it really sunk in was when I stepped outside to get a tool and looked up, not a single plane, and where we were was a high air traffic area but nothing, air was grounded! That’s something you really don’t see,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Never Forget, what were you doing?
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 06:50:15 PM
I was at home getting ready to go and do a job when the first plane hit. My dad had the tv on and we were both stuck to the screen all morning as things played out.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 07:01:14 PM
I was at my office job.  Someone got a projection tv set up in the conference room and I spent some time in there.  A lot of dazed people wondered in and out of that conference room all morning watching the coverage.
- Steve

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 07:24:03 PM
I just can’t believe it’s been so long, to me it still feels like it was only a couple years ago, yet the little guy the time was only 17months old at the time, and now isn’t so little and he’s moved out of the house,, little did we know we’d have another who’s stuck with us for a minimal 2yrs although if he keeps his schooling going the way it is he’ll grad HS a week before he turns 17 if not sooner!
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 07:40:17 PM
I was at work, we always had a tv on in the office, nothing got done for the rest of the day.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 07:45:30 PM
I had rarely turned on the TV at that time for reason I did and I froze as I watched.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 07:45:53 PM
Here’s another question to think of to remember that day, can you remember what knife, sak or mt you had on you?
I believe I had the leatherman crunch and a pocket knife at the time, the pocket knife I still have, the crunch I broke the jaw, so I sent it in and they gave me a brand new one that someone on here has,,
JR

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 07:59:54 PM
I was supply teaching at the time waiting for a phone call telling me if I was working that day or not, when my mother called from downstairs, telling me how a plane crashed into one of the towers. I went down quickly and watched it with her. I saw the second plane strike, and my immediate thought...that was no accident. I did not get called in to supply that day which meant I watched the news.

I will never ever forget the people jumping.  :cry:

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 08:05:38 PM
6th grade science class. ms didario.
Just started.

se Offline RF52

Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 08:18:29 PM
I was playing around outside with my Vic explorer and ran inside to look at the tv what happened, couldn't really believe it at first.

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Sos24

Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 08:36:37 PM
I was the operations officer on a Navy ship transiting from the Pacific Ocean towards the Indian Ocean on a planned deployment.

I had just walked into the comms shack and the radiomen had a small TV playing the Armed Forces Network on a shelf but the volume was so low you couldn’t hear over the other sounds and they were all busy doing various things.  When I saw the screen, I thought it “must be” a movie and asked what it was.  They said it was suppose to be the news.  That got me to turn up the volume as we all discovered what was happening.  I immediately went to the Combat Information Center(CIC) to see if there was more information.  As I walked in some of the officials reports and orders were coming in. 

I had graduated Department Head school in July, stepped onboard just a few days before deploying, and turned over with the guy I was relieving enroute Hawaii from Washington.  I remember the Captain telling me that he knew I was still l getting up to speed on my job, but all the rules had just changed and he needed me to figure them out quick.

Here’s another question to think of to remember that day, can you remember what knife, sak or mt you had on you?

I had a kershaw Leek in one pocket and I think a Gerber on my belt.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 08:54:48 PM
I was fitting new windows and doors in the tea rooms of the lensbury, a posh hotel. When someone wheeled in a big tv on a stand and turned it on. And everyone stopped what they were doing to watch the rolling news of the events unfolding.

It was very surreal, I had a job to do and had to try and stay focused on that while keepZing one eye on the tv.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 10:46:25 PM
I was in primary school, aged 10.
I still remember understanding what happened and could feel the vibe throughout the school turn depressive.
I'm in Europe by the way.

us Offline ambulance22

• I love knaves.
Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 11:04:31 PM
At home. I was 3 or 4 and my sister just born on july 20th. My dad knew some of the guys from Memphis fire’s task force. He took time off from the FD when my sister was born. I have a vague memory of me sitting on the floor playing with some toy emergency vehicles and my eyes on the T.V.
"Ah, Kirk, my old friend. Do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold? It is very cold in space." -KHANNNN!!!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 01:21:21 AM
I was in Cash Converters in Watford,getting my mountain bikes back out of hock. The news flow showing the scenes from New York was in every TV
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Pacu

Reply #15 on: September 12, 2020, 04:40:04 AM
I slept right thru it all. Worked at Target on the logistics team 9/10 and then had to close the store that evening 9-11. No shoppers at all that day.

When I woke up to watch the tube a bit before work I was like WTF . :o
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: September 12, 2020, 05:20:56 AM
I was working on a firehall, we were laying block and one of the excavating crew guys was talking about it and our boss started listening to the radio and telling us what was happening :-[ It was very surreal and we couldn't believe what was taking place! Was a very odd day at work that day. Just an eerie feeling all the way home even! We were talking about it today at work and I remember it like it was yesterday :salute: RIP to all those that lost their lives that day :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: September 12, 2020, 05:22:31 AM
At home. I was 3 or 4 and my sister just born on july 20th. My dad knew some of the guys from Memphis fire’s task force. He took time off from the FD when my sister was born. I have a vague memory of me sitting on the floor playing with some toy emergency vehicles and my eyes on the T.V.

Welcome to :MTO: :cheers:

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 12, 2020, 02:58:54 PM
I was in math class junior year of high school. Another teacher ran into our classroom and said a plane crashed into the first tower. Needless to say no lessons got taught that day. Someone in my science class later that day actually had trouble reaching her dad who worked in New York (due to the cell networks being clogged up). She heard from him and he was okay but she was nervous until she got word from him. Hard to believe it's been 19 years. I remember like it was yesterday.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #19 on: September 12, 2020, 03:29:10 PM
I was ridind shotgun in my brothers Transit. We were driving towards my house after some foresting or simliar and heard it in the news.

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 13, 2020, 04:44:51 PM
I was a sophomore in college, and had an early (7:00 or 7:30) electrical lab in the basement of one of the buildings.  Most college students (including me) did not have cell phones in those days, and even those that did would probably not have had any signal in that basement.  The lab finished mid-morning, and I walked back to my dorm, still ignorant of the events that had already taken place.  When I got back to my room, I saw my roomate (still in his pajamas) raptly watching the news, and quickly joined him.

As for the knife/MT I had on me, it definitely would have been my old Vic Spartan.  At the time, it was the only SAK I owned, and the only knife/MT I carried.  i still have it, though it is retired now.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #21 on: September 14, 2020, 01:32:41 PM
I was in an ESL class in a church. My family just imigrated to the US about 2.5 months prior. I was asked to help with explaining to other Vietnameses what was happening.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%