Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Poll

Do you use your parking brake?

Yes, all the time
53 (68.8%)
No, I don't see a point to it
3 (3.9%)
Maybe, if I'm parked on a hill or something
15 (19.5%)
Do cars still come with those?
1 (1.3%)
Only when I drive a stick
5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted 77

Am I the only one who uses a parking brake? 5303

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 5,220 buh
Re: Am I the only one who uses a parking brake?
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2012, 11:02:09 PM »
does that not just wear out your clutch?

I
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,507 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2012, 11:15:53 PM »
I've put 50,000 miles on my jeep and not had clutch issues yet.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
Hero Member Posts: 562
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2012, 11:55:33 PM »
What's fuel for ya, diesel or gasoline? Here fuel means both of them. Gasoline engines usually has less byte (less torque) than diesel ones. So on gasoline cars I tend to get the help of the handbrake on inclines. On diesel cars, I just let go the clutch and it moves.
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,507 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2012, 01:31:03 AM »
Fuel is a generic term here but generally refers to as gasoline as that's what 95% of cars and trucks here run on.  When I say fuel injected I mean the engine has fuel (whatever kind) pumped into it constantly, as opposed to the old naturally aspirated ones where you actually had to be on the accelerator to put enough fuel into the engine to sit on the clutch.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,694 The MTO handshake.
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2012, 07:12:38 AM »

+1  :ahhh :ahhh

Ya buncha clutch abusers  :twak: :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D
Hero Member Posts: 968
Re: Re: Am I the only one who uses a parking brake?
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2012, 07:18:09 AM »

+1  :ahhh :ahhh

Ya buncha clutch abusers  :twak: :D :D

I would think clutch abuse would be related to how long it is in the bite position on the hill start.

The brief amount of time I am talking about should be relatively normal use.

If it helps you any, I make up for it by not using the clutch at brief stops and every once in a while I skip it completely when changing gears.  :poke:

Sent from my MB860

“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,404
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2020, 12:33:32 PM »
Park brake on whenever parked and when stopped at an intersection on a slope.
If parked downhill, wheels pointing to the kerb and left in reverse gear.
If parked uphill, wheels pointing 'away from' the kerb and left in a forward gear.
(I always step on the clutch and partially on the accelerator whenever starting a manual transmission vehicle so being in gear isn't an issue)

I had a partner who was also taught to use park brake when stopped at every intersection, something about being hit from behind and your foot might come off the brake pedal... not sure about that one.

Show content
Pretty cool being able to vote in an 8-year-old thread huh?  :D

No Life Club Posts: 2,382
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2020, 03:12:08 PM »
Grew up and learnt with manual cars so it's automatic despite having driven autos most of my life. That and I don't like the wobble of small cars on hills when you get out and back in if the hand brake is off.

I have been known to remember to release it before driving off though it's far less common that I could wish.  :rofl:

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,374 Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2020, 03:30:41 PM »
I do not use my hand-break other than to test it on occasion to make sure it still works and not seized. I drive an automatic.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 19,021 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2020, 03:54:20 PM »
Park brake on whenever parked and when stopped at an intersection on a slope.
If parked downhill, wheels pointing to the kerb and left in reverse gear.
If parked uphill, wheels pointing 'away from' the kerb and left in a forward gear.
(I always step on the clutch and partially on the accelerator whenever starting a manual transmission vehicle so being in gear isn't an issue)

I had a partner who was also taught to use park brake when stopped at every intersection, something about being hit from behind and your foot might come off the brake pedal... not sure about that one.

Show content
Pretty cool being able to vote in an 8-year-old thread huh?  :D

Pretty much the same, except I awlways point the wheels to the curb. If the breaks fail, the car ends up going onto the curb and stopping there.

Update: I can see why when parked uphll the wheels should point away from the curb. The motion would bring them agains the curb, too, and at a wider angle than if pointing to it. I might change my ways from now on...

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Sr. Member Posts: 289
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2020, 09:50:19 PM »
Holy thread necro  :pok:

Don't generally use the parking brake on automatics but always with manual. They do need to be exercised regularly though or they will stick when you go to use it (even within a few years), as I found out the hard way  :twak: .

Having said that, our current car (A250) has an automatic parking brake so I don't really have a choice, nor does it matter really (until it brakes... errr, breaks  :hatsoff: ) If I put it in park and turn off the car or open the door, it puts the parking brake on. Probably makes it easier for the electronic transmission to disengage from park if it's on a hill.
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2020, 10:25:29 PM »
I should clarify, when I say "away from" that's as if the car was moving forward, which it won't if parked uphill.
Really they are pointing to the kerb as the car will be rolling backwards.
I could have said pointed to the right but we all drive on different sides of the road (hopefully not in the same place :ahhh ).
But yeah I think everyone gets what I mean - turn the wheels so that if the car rolls they will hit the kerb.

|
| /--/
|        \/ slope
| |--|
|

|
| \--\
|        /\ slope
| |--|
|

Pretty much the same, except I awlways point the wheels to the curb. If the breaks fail, the car ends up going onto the curb and stopping there.

Update: I can see why when parked uphll the wheels should point away from the curb. The motion would bring them agains the curb, too, and at a wider angle than if pointing to it. I might change my ways from now on...
Yeah the front wheels will hit the kerb much sooner than the back wheels and the car won't swing out into the street.  :tu:

Holy thread necro  :pok:
:D :hatsoff:

Incidentally, when about to move again after stopping on a gentle slope I have a bad habit of releasing the hand brake before gettiing the clutch and accelerator working together. I'm trying to retrain myself.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 10:31:22 PM by Syncop8r »

No Life Club Posts: 1,267
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2020, 10:34:42 PM »
As an american I only drive automatics.  I only use the parking brake when on a hill.  When I do use it, I put the car in Neutral, press the brake pedal down firmly, then apply the parking brake.  Then I release the brakes and verify the car doesn't roll before putting it in park.

- Steve
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2020, 01:11:37 AM »
I should clarify, when I say "away from" that's as if the car was moving forward, which it won't if parked uphill.
Really they are pointing to the kerb as the car will be rolling backwards.
I could have said pointed to the right but we all drive on different sides of the road (hopefully not in the same place :ahhh ).
But yeah I think everyone gets what I mean - turn the wheels so that if the car rolls they will hit the kerb.

|
| /--/
|        \/ slope
| |--|
|

|
| \--\
|        /\ slope
| |--|
|
Yeah the front wheels will hit the kerb much sooner than the back wheels and the car won't swing out into the street.  :tu:
 :D :hatsoff:

Incidentally, when about to move again after stopping on a gentle slope I have a bad habit of releasing the hand brake before gettiing the clutch and accelerator working together. I'm trying to retrain myself.

My current car has assisted break (or something like that). When you release the break, it takes a moment for the brakes to actually release the wheels. It's about the time it takes for you to reposition your foot from the break to the accelerator and manage to use the clutch ("embraiagem" in portuguese) to stand still without using the breaks (we call this "ponto de embraiagem"=clutch control?).

It's nice, but it makes you forget those fine motor skills it took you some time to learn.

:cheers:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

No Life Club Posts: 1,027
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2020, 01:30:49 AM »
My current car has assisted break (or something like that). When you release the break, it takes a moment for the brakes to actually release the wheels. It's about the time it takes for you to reposition your foot from the break to the accelerator and manage to use the clutch ("embraiagem" in portuguese) to stand still without using the breaks (we call this "ponto de embraiagem"=clutch control?).

It's nice, but it makes you forget those fine motor skills it took you some time to learn.

:cheers:
I use the handbrake on the same way as you. Wheels to the curb also.

Even in automatic cars.

Is always nice read words in portuguese here.

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

Hero Member Posts: 667 Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2020, 02:01:16 AM »
I always use it on an incline even if it's a slight incline. I had a company pickup where the parking pin in transmission was sheared (coworkers knew but didnt tell me of course) and and I got out of the truck and it started rolling off!  :ahhh Ever since then I use the parking brake as well.

~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,949 Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2020, 11:48:05 AM »
I'm learning to drive on an auto.
Parking brake, always. :)
Gotta treat that transmission right!

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!
Hero Member Posts: 630
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2020, 12:24:21 PM »
I was never taught this wheels to the curb business, but why on earth would you not put the parking break on? Could you not just... Roll an auto away if doesn't employ a parking break?

Tbh though from what I've seen on TV I just assumed that when you put it in Park that meant parking break+neutral...

Become the night and join us for the Batman Challenge in January!
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,685 Bored

dks cy

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2020, 01:05:17 PM »
Newer cars I drive have the hill start assist so you use the parking brake, manual or auto. whatever.
pain if you want to let the car slide backwards.
Older ones, my reactions are lighting fast so it doesn't matter

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
Hero Member Posts: 558 Brick Bradford of multitool universe
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2020, 03:20:16 PM »
Manual or automatic, if gearbox is needed for retention I'll use the hand brake. Normally I shift to neutral first to verify and then apply parking brake as/if needed. Start and stop on wife's car has a habit of shutting off when engaging neutral and then startung again when applying park, annoying, so I just apply based on feel

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2020, 04:48:01 PM »
Since this thread started, I have replaced my old yellow Jeep with the newer green one, which is automatic because I decided I wanted remote start for cold mornings.  Yeah, yeah, I know, I am a wussy.   :twak:

Even though the new one (not really new as it is almost 8 years old with 216,000kms on it  :facepalm:) I still use the emergency brake every time I park, regardless of whether I am on a hill or not.  It's just a habit- something I have always done.  Of course, for a while, the hand brake didn't work, and I still pulled up the lever every time. 

It's just one of those things that I have always done, and probably always will.

Def

No Life Club Posts: 4,663 Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2020, 04:53:38 PM »
It's just one of those things that I have always done, and probably always will.

That's what I thought too, but after a couple of years driving a station wagon without a manual handbrake I seem to have gotten out of the habit, and have to remind myself to apply the handbrake on the rare times when I drive our other wagon (strangely enough I seem to remember OK when driving my van, it must be different enough to trigger the muscle memory).  But I still remember to push the clutch in OK when driving a manual 'box (thank goodness).

babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2020, 05:05:51 PM »
Yes, it is entirely possible that when I no longer have easy access to a hand brake I may stop using it, but then I don't intend to look at new vehicles any time soon!  Short of someone deciding to run into my Jeep (harder than the last two Kias did anyway!) I think I'll be in this one for a while.

Def

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 16,644 Little to the right...
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2020, 06:29:59 PM »
As an american I only drive automatics.
:think: 

As a Canadian, I drive both.   :D

Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 32,544
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2020, 10:01:27 PM »
:think: 

As a Canadian, I drive both.   :D

As a Brit I've only driven an automatic a handful of times in my entire life. :D

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 16,644 Little to the right...
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2020, 01:54:56 PM »
As a Brit I've only driven an automatic a handful of times in my entire life. :D
Cheeky bugger you!  :pok:  :rofl:

If it were possible to buy only stick shifts, I would.  But most cars here are only autos, which is sad.

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2020, 08:17:09 PM »
And you are seeing fewer and fewer standards, especially since everyone seems to be going to a sequential, shiftable automatic transmission.  Frankly I have no use for those.  My Jeep does it, and it frustrates me as anyone shifting position in the passenger seat often also downshifts the transmission.  You pee yourself a little bit when you are on the highway and suddenly for no apparent reason the Jeep downshifts and the engine revs like crazy....  :ahhh

Until you realize what happened and shift back.   :facepalm:

I hate this half assed stuff if I'm honest.

My parents have a new Honda Pilot that they really seem to like, but it has taken them a while to get used to the driver aids, like the lane changing doodads etc.  I would find those endlessly annoying.  Either give me a self driving car, or let me drive, I don't need the car second guessing me and telling me what to do and what not to do.

Just like the transmission.  Give me a standard, or give me an automatic, leave this halfway stuff at home.

Rant over.

For now.

:P

Def

« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2020, 09:07:46 PM »
I much prefer manual gear changing when driving through the hills.  :dd:

« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2020, 12:26:21 PM »
And you are seeing fewer and fewer standards, especially since everyone seems to be going to a sequential, shiftable automatic transmission.  Frankly I have no use for those.  My Jeep does it, and it frustrates me as anyone shifting position in the passenger seat often also downshifts the transmission.  You pee yourself a little bit when you are on the highway and suddenly for no apparent reason the Jeep downshifts and the engine revs like crazy....  :ahhh

Until you realize what happened and shift back.   :facepalm:

I hate this half assed stuff if I'm honest.

My parents have a new Honda Pilot that they really seem to like, but it has taken them a while to get used to the driver aids, like the lane changing doodads etc.  I would find those endlessly annoying.  Either give me a self driving car, or let me drive, I don't need the car second guessing me and telling me what to do and what not to do.

Just like the transmission.  Give me a standard, or give me an automatic, leave this halfway stuff at home.

Rant over.

For now.

:P

Def

Pretty much this! Why do you have to take an exam, before going on the road and driving by yourself, if you are going to be in a car that decides what you should or shouldn't do?!

Either learn how to drive properly and control your car or, if you don't know how to do it, stay home or take a bus!

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,798
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2020, 04:10:28 PM »
Since I got an automatic I usually just put it in park and don't bother using the parking brake (which is a foot pedal in my car) unless I'm on a hill.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
January Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: $121.83
PayPal Fees: $7.17
Net Balance: $114.66
Below Goal: $185.34
Site Currency: USD
38%