Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool/Spirit questions re: curved handles, disassembly, etc.

carl · 24 · 7236

us Offline carl

1)  The handles on the Spirit are curved more than on the Swisstool.  Why?
2)  Are the Spirit handles more comfortable because of this or because they're thinner or both?
3)  Does the Swisstool have some strengths over the Spirit because of straighter handles?
4)  If more curved is more ergonomic, Is there any indication that Vic will incorporate more curved handles onto the Swisstool as part of their ongoing improvements?
5)  If the Swisstool spring retention feature is too stiff to open the tools, can the spring be "worked" a bit to loosen up?
6)  The new bigger plier head on the Swisstool looks unpolished and unrefined compared to older ones.  why?
7)  Regarding some disassembly pics on this forum, how is the pivot taken apart?  Has anyone installed hex nuts or allen heads in their place upon reassembly?  Are there replacement bolts with the exact same diameter to fit the tool center hole without slop?  Vic has so many individual tools to select from that it would be a shame not to be able to "make your own" tool.
thanks for your help.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: Swisstool/Spirit questions re: curved handles, disassembly, etc.
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 09:08:28 AM
1)  The handles on the Spirit are curved more than on the Swisstool.  Why?

Same reason handles are curved on Reg. medium sized pliers.

space monkeys, that's why.

2)  Are the Spirit handles more comfortable because of this or because they're thinner or both?

I don't know about thinner, but it turns out the hand is kinda dish shaped. Huh.

3)  Does the Swisstool have some strengths over the Spirit because of straighter handles?

It fits nicely 9x9 in a box?

4)  If more curved is more ergonomic, Is there any indication that Vic will incorporate more curved handles onto the Swisstool as part of their ongoing improvements?
I hope not.

5)  If the Swisstool spring retention feature is too stiff to open the tools, can the spring be "worked" a bit to loosen up?

I have no idea, never seen the mechanism.
6)  The new bigger plier head on the Swisstool looks unpolished and unrefined compared to older ones.  why?
'cause hairy men get mo' respect.
7)  Regarding some disassembly pics on this forum, how is the pivot taken apart?  Has anyone installed hex nuts or allen heads in their place upon reassembly?  Are there replacement bolts with the exact same diameter to fit the tool center hole without slop?  Vic has so many individual tools to select from that it would be a shame not to be able to "make your own" tool.

With a drill and a pin punch, I'm guessing.

That doesn't really address the issue of making other tools fit back into it though.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 06:53:43 PM
1.  Comfort and ergonomics

2.  I like them- as usual, your mileage may vary.

3.  The Spirit will handle any task within reason.  The SwissTool will handle any task without reason.

4.  It's possible, but I doubt we'll see nay redesigned SwissTools any time soon.

5.  Nope.  It loosens a slight amount after the initial few uses, but it is designed to last a lifetime without loosening or wearing out.

6.  Possibly a cost cutting measure.  Victorinox is giving out more metal and shipping more weight without an increase in price.  While one tool may not weigh much more than it's predecessors, the crates full of tools that are shipped out constantly add up.

7.  Victorinox does not encourage modding or disassembly.  The tools are crafted with suck precision that the average Joe wouldn't be able to rebuild it without ruining a few first.  Ask Scibeer about his junk box!  The rivets have to be drilled out and replaced, and the most reasonable place to start looking for more pinstock is www.rototkid.sosakonline.com but since he may not have it listed, you will also want to email him at tom@sosakonline.com and ask.  The screw and nut theory has been experimented with by SOSAK (and Multitool.org) member Spudley, and he recently reported that the mod seems to be holding up well after extended use.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline ufox9al

Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 07:33:23 PM
... The tools are crafted with suck precision ...
I am sure you meant "such"  :D
-------
Alexei

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 07:40:36 PM
All the forums in all the world and I get members who can read! :D

I did indeed mean "such!" 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Thargor

Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 08:30:27 PM
3. Nobody mentioned the excellent ruler you get with the Swisstools straight handles.

us Offline carl

Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 12:37:02 AM
thanks for all your replies.  I still don't know which one to get.  I want:  easy to use, no significant nail pulling to deploy a tool, no need for daily carry - just odd jobs around the house, cost is not a consideration within reason, fun to use, fun to play with, solid.   

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 01:24:09 AM
no need for daily carry - just odd jobs around the house

I would go for the SwissTool in your case. The larger size is going to a plus for home work and there isn't any size penalty since you aren't going to be rolling around town with it.

Try to find a well-used SwissTool if you're worried about excessive nail pulling. I bought a used Spirit from another poster on this board and it feels a lot better than my SAKs since it was obviously used quite a bit.

us Offline carl

Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 01:40:37 AM
I gotta get new - are most new Swisstools stifftools?

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 01:45:14 AM
I gotta get new - are most new Swisstools stifftools?

I haven't done a wide survery but the few I've handled have been slightly too stiff for me, but a little bit less so than a typical SAK. I am kind of a nail wuss though, so take it at face value.

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 01:50:37 AM
You could always get a LM Core

It has drivers in the Std. Sizes Professionals Use!

Seriously!

us Offline carl

Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 03:04:16 AM
thanks, I'll look up the Core

us Offline carl

Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 06:48:25 AM
well, I just checked out the Core and its tools open inward....its got nice drivers like you mentioned but those inward tools... 

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 06:59:46 AM
I've got "standard" to short fingernails and I don't have problems with either the Swisstool or the Spirit. 

I do find opening the plier handles on the Swisstool is stiffer and has more of a CLICK than the smoother Spirit.  Both are solid tools, it all depends on what size you feel more comfortable with, and which plier head you prefer; the Spirits more needlenose kind or the blunter, thincker pliers of the Swisstool.  The inner tools are almost identical.
[

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 07:57:07 AM
well, I just checked out the Core and its tools open inward....its got nice drivers like you mentioned but those inward tools...

People moan about that, but it seems Vic and Bear share the Patent on outside tools for the moment, at least in that standard configuaration (Leatherman's One-handers and SOG's Powerassist are evidently different enough to be allowed to exist) - so if you don't want stiff tools with nail nicks, your options become
A. Get an inside opening tools or
B. Get nothing.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 11:29:07 AM
You could always get a LM Core

It has drivers in the Std. Sizes Professionals Use!

Seriously!

Wow!  The sarcasm meter went through the roof with that one! :D
I'm back!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 03:57:06 PM
I just recently bought a Spirit and my short weak fingernails can open it easily. Much better than I expected.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline Thargor

Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 04:06:39 PM
thanks for all your replies.  I still don't know which one to get.  I want:  easy to use, no significant nail pulling to deploy a tool, no need for daily carry - just odd jobs around the house, cost is not a consideration within reason, fun to use, fun to play with, solid.   
Get a Charge TTi then, great tools, one hand opening on the blades and no need for nails whatsoever, especially since I gave the handles a little tweak:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,3410.0.html

As for fun to use, you'll find yourself playing with it non-stop when you're at the pc or watching tv, and wandering around the house looking for excuses to use it.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 12:04:56 AM
I have medium-sized hands, and I find that the Spirit is much more comfortable to use than the standard Swisstool.  The handles of the newer Swisstools seem a bit too far apart for me.  I only use my Swisstool for heavy-duty work, and use the Spirit for everything else.
- Terry

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence

I'd go for the full size swisstool if weight isnt an issue for you . That way you'll have one of if not THE strongest plier based multitools on the market .
  If you do go for a Swisstool what model will you choose , the Std , X or RS ?

Dunc

us Offline carl

I gotta have scissors, saw, file, and either type blade.  One reason i'm leaning toward the Spirit is because of the general consensus on this forum of it being "tighter" than the Swisstool in regards to the lock-tightness and side-play even if function isn't affected by the extra play in the Swisstool.  It may be that SAK cleaned up their design a bit on the Spirit, their newer model of the two.   thanks to all of you for all your input.  I've also decided not to the get the "Plus" version because I mostly need sockets rather than screwdriver tips so I'll go elsewhere to get a separate small socket/drive set.     
By the way, both MTs have the same number of tools right?       

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
I gotta have scissors, saw, file, and either type blade.  One reason i'm leaning toward the Spirit is because of the general consensus on this forum of it being "tighter" than the Swisstool in regards to the lock-tightness and side-play even if function isn't affected by the extra play in the Swisstool.  It may be that SAK cleaned up their design a bit on the Spirit, their newer model of the two.   thanks to all of you for all your input.  I've also decided not to the get the "Plus" version because I mostly need sockets rather than screwdriver tips so I'll go elsewhere to get a separate small socket/drive set.     
By the way, both MTs have the same number of tools right?       

You may enjoy these pics

Dunc

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Very nice pix Dunc! Thanks.

us Offline carl

Now those are some great comparison pics!   Both tools sure are nice.  The tools on the Swisstool look really burly.  The drivers look unbreakable.  thanks Dunc! 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%