Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

At the Movies

Poll

What type of movie does the MT nut like most?

Horror
1 (5.9%)
Action
5 (29.4%)
Sci Fi
9 (52.9%)
Love Story
0 (0%)
Period Drama
1 (5.9%)
Political
0 (0%)
Comedy
0 (0%)
Cheese
1 (5.9%)
Westerns
0 (0%)
Anime
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
At the Movies
on: February 15, 2008, 11:13:08 AM
So what type of movie do you guy's like best, I've kinda gone off films, as the last decent film I saw was probably the Last Samurai ::)

What about you then ???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: At the Movies
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 11:20:26 AM
Well unsurprisingly I voted for horror.  Horror cheese movies are the best though.  Evil Dead is just awesome.  :D
I'm back!!

Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 11:23:10 AM
I just can't get into horror's there just a bit not scarry :D

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 11:23:44 AM
No Horror for me but I do love the Bourne Series!!
S

Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 11:25:06 AM
No Horror for me but I do love the Bourne Series!!
I've not seen the 3rd one, but I thought the first two were pretty good, despite Matt Damon being in them :D

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 11:29:38 AM
Plus the fight scenes in it are a trip. Also very well scripted.
S

Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 11:38:35 AM
Well R ludlum knows a thing or two about writing a good story :)

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 11:40:18 AM
Yup But in the books, wasnt Jason Irish?
S

Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 11:41:26 AM
Yup But in the books, wasnt Jason Irish?
I think so, to be honest I work in a book shop so I really ought to know :D

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 11:42:23 AM
Well Off to work I go maybe to stop at a book shop on the way home. I ran out of  Brian Lumley.
S

Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 11:43:25 AM
Well Off to work I go maybe to stop at a book shop on the way home. I ran out of  Brian Lumley.
Have a good day mate, and don't work to hard :)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 03:05:46 PM
The Bourne movies have very little to do with the books.  The first movie was sort of along the same lines, only updated for the times, but that's where it ends.

Jason Bourne, or at least the man we think is Jason Bourne in the movies is actually David Webb, a US special ops soldier who ran a black bag unit in Vietnam, and who killed the real Jason Bourne in a jungle in Cambodia.  He later adopted the name Jason Bourne to masquerade as an assassin for hire in order to draw out another assassin that the US was trying to kill, called the Jackal.  I believe the Jackal's real name was Carlos Illyich Ramirez Sanchez, but I could be wrong, it has been a while.

While "stealing" a contract from the Jackal, which was the plan to draw him out, Bourne was injured (just like in the movie) and lost his memory.  He spent a few months at sea and in France with the doctor from the fishing boat, who was a brilliant surgeon at one point until he became an alcoholic and lost his job.  He took the only job he could, as a doctor on a small fishing boat. 

Bourne eventually set out to try and piece together his life again while everyone tried to kill him.  The movie makes a sharp turn from the book when Jason meets Marie, in the movie a German woman who is trying to convince the US Embassy to pay her rent for some reason.  In the book, Jason kidnaps her when he's trapped in a hotel- he crashes a conference, where Marie, a French Canadian woman is in attendance, and he takes her hostage in order to escape.

She doesn't die in the second book like she did in the second movie, there is no Nikki (Julia Styles) character in the book, and Conklin also stays alive until the third book.  He's Bourne's contact person, who authorizes a sanction when Bourne goes astray.  Of course he's an old friend of Bourne's and feels awful about trying to have his friend killed, so he becomes an alcoholic, and supports Bourne in just about everything trying to make amends.

Over all, both were good, but I don't think Ludlum had anything to do with the movies- in fact, I think they were waiting until he died to make the second and third films because they knew he'd probably pull the licensing when he saw them!

For the record, there are at least two new books in the series, supposedly co-written by Robert Ludlum.  One is The Bourne Legacy and I'm not certain what the other one is.  The truth is, Ludlum is a little bit too dead to co-write anything, and if you read the fine print it is "written in the style of Ludlum."  I'm warning you now, I actually paid real money to buy the Legacy and I am waiting for my "Sucker of the Year" award.  Stay away from it- it's a colossal hunk of crap, and I'm sure the next one, whatever it is, isn't much better.

:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 03:48:48 PM
Nice little book review and hatchet job there boss :D

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 04:19:54 PM
I had to vote for sci-fi.  The Star-Wars series is the greatest collection of movies of all time. 

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 04:58:34 PM
The Star-Wars series is the greatest collection of movies of all time.

I agree. But other than Star Wars I don't watch much science fiction. Hell I don't watch many movies. We rented 'Mr Bean's Vacation', 'Mr Woodcock' and 'A bug's life'(for the boy) and the only one we watched all the way through was 'A Bugs Life'. We started watching the other 2 but we were too bored to continue. So it'll probably be another few months  before we watch another movie.

Of course now that Football is over I need to find SOMETHING to watch.  :-\
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline Biru

Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 08:30:08 PM
Not necessarily my favorite type, but are Westerns lumped in with Action? What about Anime? Not that I like Japanese animated cowboy films, but...

Like food, my movie likes tend to vary depending on what I have a taste for. I mostly pass on comedies and romance just as I tend not to eat meat and broccoli. I can't think of the last time I went to see a film made in the last 5 years that wasn't done by Hayao Miyazaki (uh,I have a young niece...). Perhaps I live too much in the past. Just personal taste or lack thereof, perhaps.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 10:02:19 PM
never had teh will to like anime. However son #2 has a very large collection of it. Westerns however I believe are not to be lumped into action. They deserve a thier own catagory.
S

Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 10:10:55 PM
Poll edited fella's, westerns and manga/anime's now included :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 12:17:13 AM
The Star-Wars series is the greatest collection of movies of all time.

I agree. But other than Star Wars I don't watch much science fiction. Hell I don't watch many movies. We rented 'Mr Bean's Vacation', 'Mr Woodcock' and 'A bug's life'(for the boy) and the only one we watched all the way through was 'A Bugs Life'. We started watching the other 2 but we were too bored to continue. So it'll probably be another few months  before we watch another movie.

Of course now that Football is over I need to find SOMETHING to watch.  :-\

Mr Beans Vacation (or holiday over here) was pretty awful which was a shame really as I really like Rowan Atkinson and am a huge fan of Blackadder.
I'm back!!

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 12:27:13 AM
For me, this question is impossible to answer.  It would be like saying "What type of tool is your favorite?  Hammers? Screwdrivers? Wrenches? Cutters?

As a film lover for ever since I can remember and a avid collector (Over 2000 titles- mostly DVD's and recently Blu-Ray) I can't say one genre or the other.  I love them all!!!

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 01:30:00 AM
I see quite a bit of movies and don't prefer any specific genre but most of my favorites are Sci-Fi/Action movies.

Cloverfield, Children of Men, and I am Legend are some of the really good ones I've seen lately. I like the bleak hopelessness a lot of Sci-Fi films delve into, it makes the struggle seem more realistic and charged.

Judge Dredd is another good one. It has all the items that make visions of the future interesting; enourmous overpopulated cities with lots of Neon lights, a bleak wasteland and a harsh law enforcement factor.

Every time I see a good post-apocalyptic film I still grumble that they need to make a film based on the first two Fallout games. I get this a lot from my girlfriend:  ::)

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 16, 2008, 02:01:35 AM
Judge Dredd is another good one. It has all the items that make visions of the future interesting; enourmous overpopulated cities with lots of Neon lights, a bleak wasteland and a harsh law enforcement factor.

Judge Dredd is simultaneously utterly revolting garbage, and a good watch.
I rent it every now and again, but hate myself afterwards.

The Dirt won't come off!

Every time I see a good post-apocalyptic film I still grumble that they need to make a film based on the first two Fallout games. I get this a lot from my girlfriend:

I would make one hell of a Killian Darkwater, if we're doing try outs.

I just hope Richard Dean Anderson doesn't also apply, then I'm buggered.

Magnificent Seven (both Western and Oriental) as well as War and other Western movies (ideally fictional, or only vaguely based on true stories. History takes a back seat to Entertainment in my books)

Braveheart, Gladiator, Spartacus, 300, Joan of Arc, Excalibur, Sinbad -
I'm a big "Sword and Sandle" fan.

James Bond (Esp. Pre-Brosnan, but his and Craig's movies are good too)

Harley Davidson and the Marlboro man is nice.

Alien, Starship Troopers, and other BugFight movies are nice.

Matrix, Hackers are good for nerdy sort of fun.

Folk have already mentioned quality humour such as Airplane and Spaceballs.

Of course, I wouldn't be any sort of middle class twit if I didn't have a vote for the People's Hero, Darryl Kerrigan.

from the 2000s - Pirates of the Caribbean, ehh, not sure what else. I seem to be about 7 years behind everyone else when it comes to actually seeing movies.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 02:18:04 AM
Spoony
OK what the hell attacked the planet in cloverfield. I cant make any sence of the comercials so I dont know if it is something I would want to see.
S

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 16, 2008, 02:37:15 AM
Spoony
OK what the hell attacked the planet in cloverfield. I cant make any sence of the comercials so I dont know if it is something I would want to see.

You've seen the trailers? If you don't mind the shaky camera then it's a good flick. I went into it fully expecting to leave halfway through the film due to the camera but found that it actually pulled me into the film, it's like every Godzilla movie from the "man-on-the-street" perspective. It's the only movie I've paid to see in the theater twice. It's also a good film to see from the EDC perspective, makes you really evaluate your disaster gear.

Don't go in expecting a typical monster film. You don't see a lot of the monster on camera but this creates a real air of suspense and tension. It's basically a chase movie, the characters are trying to get from point A to B to E and then back to B while avoiding horrific death.

:Possible SPOILER:

Now, in depth information about the actual monster is clouded in viral marketing and misinformation. As best as I can tell the monster comes from the sea and is woken by a falling object, an object which some say can be seen plummeting into the harbor by New York in the last flashback seen.

The main monster is enourmous and drops smaller monsters that bear a resemblance to the bugs from Starship Troopers. I can't seem to find any good pictures or concept art so the short version is that it is large, has lots of limbs and apparently can't be killed.

The best pic I can find is on this page: http://1-18-08.blogspot.com/

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 02:43:25 AM
It looks like a combo Preying mantis and a spider. Now I really got to see it. Also enjoyed the Indiana Jones preview!
S

Offline Biru

Reply #25 on: February 16, 2008, 02:53:16 AM
I had forgotten them until one of the previous posts, but the Connery-era Bonds are huge fun (I still can't believe Tim Leatherman beat "Q" to the true multitool!). Bond would have been one of those guys who had to have a corkscrew on HIS multitool.

"The Seven Samurai"-especially the Criterion version- is staggeringly good. It's probably the only subtitled film that I've never minded "reading."

I'm not a big "Dredd" fan, but I will admit to owning "First Blood" and "Rambo III." Guilty pleasures, those. For Sci-Fi, I like "2001" for its vision, even though parts bore me to tears and I sit there and go "Huh?" a lot. "Excalibur" is awesome.

In defense of Westerns, I MUST mention "The Wild Bunch" and "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly." "The Wild Bunch" and "The Godfather" would get my votes as the two best non-dumb guy movies of the 70's.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 03:11:36 AM
Bond would have been one of those guys who had to have a corkscrew on HIS multitool

Except he doesn't drink wine.

If he's in a romance moment, it's Champagne, and his other beverage of choice needs no mention.

Oh, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is quite a romp!

Along with others in the Nameless "series"

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 03:33:58 AM
"The Seven Samurai"-especially the Criterion version- is staggeringly good. It's probably the only subtitled film that I've never minded "reading."
In defense of Westerns, I MUST mention "The Wild Bunch" and "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly." "The Wild Bunch" and "The Godfather" would get my votes as the two best non-dumb guy movies of the 70's.

"Seven Samurai" is an all time classic film!  Far superior to its American adaptation "The Magnificent Seven."

"The Wild Bunch" is my all time favorite Western-Action film!

Sam Peckinpah, the director, knew how to make a great "shoot 'em up" - which is what he called this movie.

No fancy trick shooting BS or phony special effects in this movie!  Peckinpah strives for gritty realism and delivers, Big Time.

These guys make a living with firearms and use them to kill in a workmanlike fashion.  They favor Colt 1911 autopistols and Winchester 97 pump shotguns, but will use whatever is handy to get the job done.

William Holden and Ernest Borgnine are amazing in their roles as murderous gang leaders - the best acting of their careers.  Robert Ryan, Strother Martin, Albert Dekker - the whole cast of supporting actors is also excellent.

The opening scenes show the gang decimating a Women's Christian Temperance Union parade that gets in the way as they attempt to rob a bank.  That sets the tone for the rest of the movie.  Unremitting brutality and death, casually dispensed.

If you've never seen it, rent this movie!

N

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #28 on: February 16, 2008, 04:44:50 AM
I picked Sci-Fi since overall I like it more than the others.  Sci-Fi/Horror movies are my favorite though; Carpenters The Thing, the Alien movies (especially the first two), etc..

A Fallout movie series of three films would be awesome, BUT, it would have to be written by some of the diehard FANS of the games.  I'm sure that in the whole diehard Fallout fan community there's a few producers, directors, writers, etc...Hell, I could reduce Fallout and Fallout 2 into a basic story using the best characters and missions...

And it would have to be rated R!
[

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 16, 2008, 06:55:04 AM
A Fallout movie series of three films would be awesome, BUT, it would have to be written by some of the diehard FANS of the games.  I'm sure that in the whole diehard Fallout fan community there's a few producers, directors, writers, etc...Hell, I could reduce Fallout and Fallout 2 into a basic story using the best characters and missions...

And it would have to be rated R!

Seeing the Cathedral or the mutant vats on the big screen would be amazing. New Reno! or the Glow! The characters, locations, soundtracks, everything about the game is so well-crafted and developed that it would be a monumental undertaking but totally worth it.

I never could get into Tactics, I prefer the straight turn-based combat of the first two games to the smurfized system of the third.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%