Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Trial By Fire

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Trial By Fire
on: February 16, 2008, 06:09:31 PM
Well not really, but I did get an opportunity to use the Flik last night at work, in a typical multitool type setting.  We have a lock at work that often sticks- it's on an exit door, and when folks go through it, the lock sticks open and other folks can sneak in, which isn't a good thing in a bar.

The problem is that these doors are ordinarily somewhat neglected and when the lock sticks, someone fires in a liberal smattering of WD-40 until it loosens up and works again.  This meant that the mechanism was sorely gunked up and needed a cleaning.  I'd been meaning to have a look at this lock for some time, but I finally had the opportunity last night, since the bar wasn't too busy and it wasn't too cold out!

So, I decided to at least do an exploratory last night, try to clean the lock out a bit and also see how well the Flik would perform in a real world task.  It was made a little more challenging by the person who had worked on it previously, and who had re-assembled it using all manner of screws, including Robertson headed wood screws.  Bear in mind, this is a steel and glass door, and there's no wood anywhere near it! :P 

The Phillips screws on the cover plate were easily removed using the Phillips driver, then the cover plate was levered out using the small flathead.  The mechanism itself was what was held in with the wood screws, but they weren't really in there very good, so I managed to turn them out a little bit with the tips of the pliers inside the holes- enough to be able to grab them around the outside of the heads until there was enough to get at them with my fingers.  The the small screw that holds the cylinder was taken out with the small flathead, and the cylinder was removed.  This was about as far as I could get without some more specialized tools, so I had to move the mechanism around a bit and try to clean the gunk out with a napkin.  I used the saw as a probe, but this is one of those times where longer screwdrivers would be an asset.  I managed to remove lots of disgusting gunk from the mechanism and the lock cylinder, but it will need to be completely disassembled and cleaned, or better yet, replaced, but I did manage to allow it a bit better operation.

The Flik performed as well as I could have hoped any multi would have.  It did the jobs it was designed to do, and offered enough flexibility to give options in the jobs it wasn't designed for.  The Robertson  part was one of those things that almost all multitools will fail at since they are a specialized bit in most places.  Here in Canada though you can expect to see them anywhere, but we are too small a market for manufacturers to focus on.  SOG offers a Robertson bit, so a PowerLock (or in my case, PowerPlier, which is where my Robertson is!) may have been a better choice, or even any other multitool that accepts standard bits.  But, you can't always count on what the tool is designed with, and improvisation is important.

The only real drawback I felt with the Flik were the drivers themselves.  They are not only too stubby to reach recessed screws or poke into places your fingers won't reach, they are also a pain to access.  The nail nicks are on the least accessible side of each tool, and the Phillips is tucked in so well that you have to pull out the can opener to get at it.  Of course, the can opener doesn't come without a fight, as the nail nick is on the side that sits flush with the liner, rather than the exposed side between it and the Phillips.  To get at it, the can opener has to be pushed away from the liner enough to get your nail in there, while the nail nick on the Phillips is closer to the pivot and therefore can't be accessed.  This is kind of a stupid design, as there is ample space between the implements to have put the nail nicks. 

The flathead and bottle opener on the other side aren't as bad though- the bottle opener's nail nick is on the "outside" but it's spaced far enough from the liner that it's accessible.  There is a microscopic, folding lanyard ring that acts like a spacer to allow you access to the nail nick- finally, a use for folding lanyard rings! :D  The nail nick on the flathead is a little more awkward to get to, but not impossible like on the Phillips.  This is not the tool for folks without thumbnails though!

I have also had another problem, but this was mostly when playing with the neat "double lock pliers" feature.  Sometimes the handle on one side will lock a little too far over and the other cannot lock at all.  Next time this happens I'll try to take pictures to illustrate it, but it basically means that while the pliers still function, they are stuck to one side, and cannot be unlocked by hand.  I need to use another multi to unlock and straighten them out again.  Whether this is a design flaw that would be apparent with all of them, or whether it's just a defect in mine is too soon to tell.  It's possible that I am also just incompetent and opening the tool wrong, but if it can happen to me, it can happen to lots of other incompetent people out there too!

One nice thing is that if it does get trapped in the open position, or if you are doing work like I was on the lock and you don;t want to keep folding the pliers in, the sheath is designed to accept the tool just as comfortably in the open or closed position.  Most sheaths sacrifice a bit to accept the tool open, but not this one.  It seems as if it was designed to hold the tool open, just as much as it's designed to hold it closed. 

All in all, the Flik really impressed me last night.  It's not without it's shortcomings, but then no tool is perfect either.  This may change with some actual use, but for now, I'd certainly say this isn't too shabby a tool!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Trial By Fire
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 06:55:48 PM
I am glad Gerber have come back with this tool.  It has been a shame to hear some bad stories recently involving a name I am quite fond of.

Hopefully this is the beginning of a fresh new start for Gerber. :)
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 07:08:26 PM
It illustrates that not everything from China is by definition a hunk of junk.  It appears to be on par, quality wise, with my MP600, which is made in the US.  It is also significantly more complex than the MP600, so that's very impressive.  It's a bit heavier than the MP600 at 8.74oz (247.9g) while the MP600 is 7.89oz (223.6g) but not by a significant amount, and I'd have to say that functionally speaking, the Flik is an excellent update of the MP600 type design.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 07:36:17 PM
Good to see some information coming out about this tool. My Freehand had the same plier problem as yours when I first got it, it seemed to become less common as the tool got some wear. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 07:46:24 PM
That's good to know.  I have to say that the Flik has really whetted my appetite for a Freehand now.  I would love to put them side by side and compare the two.

Def

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 07:55:17 PM
I am really looking foward to this tool once I can get my paws on one! BTW, I don't like how the saw has a point. Also, why do the blade edges not go to the bottom?
B

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 08:51:41 PM
I most likely will ending up biting on this one. I kinda think the tools might be a tad to short, but hopefully it will work out. I really however look forward to a tool with a proper sized warncliff.
S

Offline Biru

Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 09:55:21 PM
I'd really like Gerber MTs more if it weren't for the stubbiness of their drivers (and the unusually wide flare of the Legend's plier handles). Their interchangeable plier heads on their technician tool used to interest me. I work with recessed screws and the Gerber screwdrivers won't often reach or are too wide. This forum isn't the only place I've seen this complaint. One would imagine Gerber would address such issues.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 10:55:21 PM
Good to see the Gerber's earning it's keep already :), and the quality's up there with it's US equivelents :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: Trial By Fireconsciousnessconsciousness
Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 10:58:51 PM
Today's Top Tip:

Break up your long arse posts with pictures, it makes them less intimidating, and stops people losing consciousness half way through.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 11:00:13 PM
I like long posts.  If we didn't like to read we wouldn't be on a forum.  :P
I'm back!!

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 11:01:10 PM
I like long posts.  If we didn't like to read we wouldn't be on a forum.

Reading?

Blech.

I'm just here to pick up girls.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 11:02:12 PM
I second that, I would rather long posts that go into vivid detail then pictures and short sentences...
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 11:02:36 PM
I like long posts.  If we didn't like to read we wouldn't be on a forum.

Reading?

Blech.

I'm just here to pick up girls.

Have you seen the forum stats?   :D
I'm back!!

Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 11:02:51 PM
You picked the wrong forum to meet girls mate :D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 11:04:46 PM
I second that, I would rather long posts that go into vivid detail then pictures and short sentences...

Although a pic can make life a lot easier than trying to understand someone's description of a part/mechanism/tool. So i like a mix of the two, although i'm not afraid of long passages of text.
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 11:06:53 PM
Plus the fact that our glorious leader works nights, so he's probably short on time and will put the pics up later :)

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 11:08:09 PM
I'm sure he will, he's good like that! :)

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 16, 2008, 11:11:24 PM

What can I say, I seem to learn better with pictures and badly drawn red circles in Paint illustrating the area in question.

You picked the wrong forum to meet girls mate
Ah well,

I guess it's backing to wooing you then.

As for the original topic -
Half the reason I carry a second multi is to access hard to get at tools on the first one!
I need my Pioneer to open the Hook and Awl on my Climber!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - The Rise of The Robertson irks me.

time was you could carry 2 screwdrivers and the world was your playground, now you need (lets count, and this are just the most common culprits)

2 Robertsons (I don't know how their sizes work)
3 Phillips (1,2,3)
3ish Slot heads(lets say a 3, 7, and something else)
2 Allen (2.5 and 4?)
2 torx (I'd have to check sizing)
and some Pozi for good measure!

If you're lucky, all that will let you dismantle your Toaster.

Reply #19 on: February 16, 2008, 11:15:24 PM
I don't think your my type mate :D, but feel free to try and buy my affections :D

I total agree with what your saying regarding the profution of screw types >:(, it's more than a little bloody stupid if you ask me ::)

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 16, 2008, 11:57:11 PM
In some way its a good idea, especially some of the security bits as it keeps people who shouldn't be allowed to mess with something from messing with it. For example I did a project last year with Siemens on a gas turbine engine, and they had lots of problems with people in the field adjusting the engines parameters when they really shouldn't, a proprietary security bit is one of the few solutions to a problem like that. A lot of the different bits/screws come from developing technology that enables more complex heads to be put on, this can allow much better torque to be applied with a lot less chance of slippage. Does get annoying though doesn't it!

Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 12:01:48 AM
Yeah, I appreciate the benifits, it's just a bugger when all you've got is a camper :D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 12:02:57 AM
Just take a cordless drill everywhere and drill the beggar out!

Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 12:05:08 AM
Just take a cordless drill everywhere and drill the beggar out!
Till I tell you how I loath powertools  :D

I'm off to bed, but I'll bore you tommorow about it if ya like :D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 12:06:28 AM
Oh please no, not another rant anything but that! :D :P

Edit: Oh yeah, night!

Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 12:07:28 AM
Oh please no, not another rant anything but that! :D :P
I make no promises :D

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 12:24:40 AM
I guess it's another reason to carry a LM Crunch

Then it doesn't really matter what fancy doodad it was designed for  :D

(Unless it is a CSK  >:( )

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 12:45:18 AM
To be fair, they're usually ovals.  :D

I like how the Flik is slimmer on the end than the Freehand.

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 12:48:57 AM
Bah, Cheat!

(Also: Shift key makes Circles)

Your table cloth, or whatever that is, is a little...untraditional?

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 12:51:48 AM
It's a placemat, I like my guests to be uneasy and distracted while dining. Allows me to spout off with very unconventional political views with little fear of recourse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Star

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD