Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thoughts on .22 pistols?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Thoughts on .22 pistols?
on: June 27, 2012, 08:47:05 PM
I live in the state of Illinois, in the U.S.

In Illinois, before you can purchase a firearm, you have to get a Firearm Owner Identification card... a 'FOID'.

Both my husband and I applied for them about a month ago, and they arrived Monday. We're looking at getting a good .22 pistol for target shooting. Not competition, just recreational shooting. And... as with everything, price is a factor.

I'm a personal fan of the Ruger 'mark' series (mark II and III). The Ruger 22/45 (both mk II and III) are also a possibility. I know some folks swear by the Walther P22, but I've seen a number of reviews that have said the Ruger SR22 is a better gun. Then again, I've seen a few reviews where there are some mechanical problems creeping up with the SR22. So...?

As a left handed shooter, I like the ambidextrous controls on the SR22, but I think it being as new as it is, I might want to wait out the shake-down period, until all the bugs are worked out. Some of the safety features of the mkIII bug me, so... is a good used mkII a my best option for now?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Thoughts on .22 pistols?
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 09:01:10 PM
I have my dad's Ruger Mk I (that's right, Mk I) and it is a pure joy to shoot.  I'm pretty sure the MkII is quite similar.  We also have a Sig Sauer 22 Misquito, which is also quite fun.

22's are very friendly guns because the ammo is cheap (ish) and there is little kickback. 

The longer the barrel, the more accurate it will be, if that matters much to you.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 09:36:43 PM
I am not at home so I cannot get in depth with this right now, but once I get home I would love to share my opinions with you. Just something to think about. Have you considered a .22 revolver?
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:27:46 PM
Captain... I've looked at the Ruger Single 6, just as a comparison. I haven't shot a revolver in ages, and those were almost all 38/.357s. I'm not sure why I don't care much for .22 lr revolvers, but they don't appeal to me much.

However, if the price was right, sure, I'd go for it.

Mr. Whippy... I've been looking at some youtube videos about the differences, and I'm sure the mk I pistols are just as much fun as the mk II/III. I'm not seeing a lot of differences in the three. I understand all three handle bulk ammo quite well.

The cheap (ish) thing is the EXACT reason the .22 is on my list. A good pistol can be had for about $300 new and ammo can be under 5 cents per round. I rather think of shooting like someone standing there with a little machine than launches money. Every time you pull the trigger in a .22, it's like flinging a nickel. Every time you shoot lots of other guns, It's more like throwing 2 quarters. I honestly don't know how folks afford to shoot big stuff, even if you take into account reloading.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:59:04 PM
A Ruger is hard to beat, IMO.  I don't have one, but my father has had a Ruger Bearcat revolver forever, and a buddy a MkII.  Both are great guns.  As a lefty I find the Bearcat especially easy to use.  Like almost all single action revolvers, the loading gate is on the right side of the frame.  No need to switch hands to eject/reload.  Another possibility in a double action is the S&W Kit Gun, either the older Model 63 or the current 317.  Both are J (small) frame revolvers with 8-shot cylinders.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 11:53:38 PM
   You cant go wrong with the Mark series pistols that Ruger offers. The Mark I,II, and III are basically the same gun. When you get into the 22/45 version is when things get a bit different. The most apparent being the grip/grip angle and use of polymer for the frame. I personally find the older more slanted grip angle much more comfortable. The 22/45 is widely known for its ''1911 like'' grip. They do make a 22/45 with replaceable grips which is also a option.

The only real complaint I have with the 22/45 and I assume all the mark series pistols is the daunting task of disassemble and reassembly. With practice and following directions to the letter it will be just fine and is honestly worth the hassle considering what a great gun you are getting.
   As for revolvers I think it would be a viable option. It really depends on your intent of use for the gun. A revolver is very versatile and are very reliable. They can be had in 5-10 round cylinders (depending on Make/Model). The Mark Series uses 10 round magazines if you did not know. There is much, much less worry of jams of malfunctions when dealing with revolvers. They can be found in Single action only, Double action only, or Single and Double action.
   I feel like i'm ranting now so I better stop myself.   :D The last thing I will say is it all depends on what "you" want and what works best for your needs and what you feel you can shoot with most comfortably/accurately.  :tu: Hope you can pull some information from this.  :D If you have any questions feel free to ask.   :salute:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:55:44 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 07:50:35 PM
My hubby has a half day of comp-time we'll use tomorrow to go to an in-door range near us. They have a good selection of rental guns, and we'll probably be trying out the Walther p22, some Ruger (mkII or mkIII, maybe a 22/45), and probably the Ruger Single 6.

The only pistol he's ever shot was a Ruger mkIII 5 1/2" bull barrel, and a SIG a few weeks ago. He liked it. Had it not had that crappy right-hand specific target pistol grips, I would have liked it, but then, I've got enough time shooting Ruger semi auto pistols that I know I like them.

no Offline JRB65

• Dutchman by birth, living in Norway by choice...
Thoughts on .22 pistols?
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 08:39:31 PM
Hmm... The last weapon I've owned was a S&W revolver, a 617 (.22 LR).
And, I was very pleased with that gun.
Reliable, accurate, easy to handle and maintain :)

Memories... maybe it'll soon be time to join the local pistol club again?

us Offline David

Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 08:45:47 PM
I hear the Ruger Mark series are good pistols but I`ve never owned one. I prefer the S&W M-17.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 10:13:24 PM
My hubby has a half day of comp-time we'll use tomorrow to go to an in-door range near us. They have a good selection of rental guns, and we'll probably be trying out the Walther p22, some Ruger (mkII or mkIII, maybe a 22/45), and probably the Ruger Single 6.

The only pistol he's ever shot was a Ruger mkIII 5 1/2" bull barrel, and a SIG a few weeks ago. He liked it. Had it not had that crappy right-hand specific target pistol grips, I would have liked it, but then, I've got enough time shooting Ruger semi auto pistols that I know I like them.

Hands on is the best way to decide.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 01:46:11 AM
Don't forget to check out the Browning Buckmark :tu:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 04:12:03 AM
Buckmark... right. That one keeps slipping my mind.

Well... Instead of tomorrow, I actually talked him into going this evening.

We found out that the range has $1 pistol rentals on Wednesdays. So, we'll likely do future visits on Wednesdays. But this evening, we rented a Ruger SR22. It was a LOT of fun. I'd say it's not as accurate as a mark series, mostly I think due to its shorter sight radius, but it was fun to shoot, and fit very comfortably in our hands. My husband and I have very similar hand sizes, which will make selecting a pistol we both like a good deal easier, I hope.

fi Offline mtool78

Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 11:17:34 AM
Here is pic of my S&W - I've had it almost for 20 years now. It's nice but maybe a little bit too light.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 09:06:15 PM
So... we found a really good price on a Ruger SR22 locally, and snatched it up. Just to make sure we don't go on a crazy target shooting spree... and because of the 4th being a national holiday, it won't actually be in our possession until Thursday, the 5th. (sigh)

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 09:12:35 PM
Very cool, Lynn.  :tu: 
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 10:34:56 PM
Awesome. Let me know how the SR22 shoots as I have been eyeing one for a while now.   :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 12:51:36 AM
My initial impressions... Due to its low mass, the barrel riding fairly high, it has much more barrel jump when fired than a mark series. Less than a 9mm, but much more than any other .22 pistol I've ever fired. This, coupled with a pretty short sight radius means it takes more patience and effort to recover your sight picture. It's loud, and there tends to be more muzzle flash than I'm used to in the longer barreled mark II and IIIs I've fired. These couple to make the gun ... kind of more 'exciting'. It's really fun to shoot.

Safety and mag release are both ambidextrous, but slide lock-back/release is only accessible to right-handed users (I couldn't unlock the slide with my left index finger. It required too much force). However, I've been told that racking the slide back will release the slide. Didn't try it yet.

Sights were fine.White dots front and rear. I saw in a video that the back blade can be flipped so you have a plain rear.

Standard 10-shot mags. And the pistol comes with two! The button on the side used to compress the spring while you load the clip was pretty comfortable, and has nice jimping for grip.

I shot the following group at 7 yards, feeding CCI ammo, standing position, 2-hand grip, taking my time. The group might have been a bit better, except the range we went to hung their targets on a single line, and they swayed somewhat. I'm still very satisfied with the accuracy of the pistol. It's better than my eyes, most likely. :)  Leatherman PST for scale.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 12:42:04 AM
The good Captain summed up my thoughts in the Rugers pretty well. Personally, I'm not a fan of the standard model's grip angle, and haven't had the pleasure of trying the 22/45. The take-down procedure is ridiculous, though.

I've owned several .22 autos, the one I kept is the Browning Buckmark, specifically the Bullseye model. I love the thing, it's well-built, handles well, accurate as all git-out.

Only problem is, the controls aren't ambi, so it's not lefty-friendly. Of course, not many are...

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 02:53:11 AM
Safety and mag release are both ambidextrous, but slide lock-back/release is only accessible to right-handed users (I couldn't unlock the slide with my left index finger. It required too much force). However, I've been told that racking the slide back will release the slide. Didn't try it yet.

The slide lock is technically not a slide release and I would not suggest using it as one. Sure people do, but the part that holds your slide back is not meant for it and will wear down which can cause the slide to no longer lock back after the last round is fired. It is a cheap fix if it happens, but easily avoidable. Using the "slingshot" method is what I would suggest. Just my 2 cents though.

P.S. Good shooting there.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 09:55:53 AM
Gryffin, I've seen some videos on the basic take-down of the SR22, which is ridiculously easy. One of the considerations when getting it, for us.

I've never fired the 22/45 either, but have handled it. I prefer the handle on the standard mark pistols, but I have somewhat short fingers, and the 1911 grip style is too big for my hand. I'm certain I could fire the 22/45 without a problem, but it's uncomfortable to me.

The SR22 grip is not like either the 22/45 or the mark series, and in any case comes with 2 sizes of grip cover, for smaller and large grip sizes, as well as 2 kinds of floor plates for the mags, one plain and one extended for pinky rest for folks with small hands. I find it very ergonomic, personally, but I'd certainly recommend giving it a try before purchase. It might not be for everyone.

And, obviously, the lefty thing is important to me... being a lefty and all.

Captain... Thanks. I wasn't thrilled with the group, but considering the circumstances, ah well. BTW, that was the PST I got off of you in the pic there! :D

Yeah, been reading about the wear issue. Guess I learn something every day.

We hope to take it out next weekend, and I'll hopefully have more pics then.

Offline Biru

Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 05:01:47 AM
I have a 60's Colt Huntsman which shoots like a laser. For what you need it wouldn't be a wise choice as it's discontinued and I have no idea about the ease of service. It's somewhat reminiscent of a Luger. GREAT feel and points wonderfully. When I got my 1911 I thought it would shoot like the Huntsman (both were John Browning-designed), but I couldn't hit the inside of a barn with my 11 if I were inside with the doors and windows closed.

us Offline DIYMultiTool

Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 09:50:49 AM
U.S. RSOG cadre choose a 22LR pistol as a realistic survival firearm.

http://www.sererescuesog.addr.com/USRSOG-Firearm.htm
Buck Collectors Club Inc., (BCCI) Life Member

Offline traprmike

Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 09:01:39 AM
Old thread, just found it.
1. I hope you found a .22 that fits you and what you want to do.  big disissiion for first time handgun buyer.
2. if not, my couple of cents; I have owned the Ruger Single six for a long time. I liked the .22 mag option. I had the stainless steel w/6 1/2 " bbl. great gun. very safe. I traded it off because i started to shoot at  the local club once a month in the handgun shoots ( just a fun shoot no prizes or anything. ) and bought the .22/45 as it holds more rds and reloading is faster. it's another great gun. I have quit shooting at that club, but still have the .22/45. it's now my trapping/coon hunting handgun.
3. given a choice now for hunting/trapping, I'd go with a 4 in bbl stainless revolver. like a Smith + wesson.
good luck and happy shooting

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 09:58:28 AM
Don't forget to check out the Browning Buckmark :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)

:tu:  +1 on the Buckmark.  I had one of those and it took me to the 10 Pin Nationals and helped win the Teams Roller-coaster event.

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Thoughts on .22 pistols?
Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 01:35:55 PM
I think EVERY house should have a
.22 pistol & rifle and a 12 gauge pump.

I have a  6 rifles and two .22 pistols.

We have a
Ruger Mark I and a Walther P22.

I would suggest both for fun / plinking.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 01:44:31 PM
I think EVERY house should have a
.22 pistol & rifle and a 12 gauge pump.

I have a  6 rifles and two .22 pistols.

We have a
Ruger Mark I and a Walther P22.

I would suggest both for fun / plinking.

20 gauge pump action for me... :(

:D

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #26 on: December 24, 2012, 03:51:04 AM

us Offline Grail Knight

• Who Dares Wins!
Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 04:29:39 AM
I own a few .22lr pistols.
Ruger Mk II, III, SR22,  (2) North American Arms a PUG & Mini-Revolver. The PUG is 22mag.
Next on my list is a Sig Mosquito .22LR
Own 2 Ruger 10/22s one of which is stock and the other is tweaked.

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #28 on: December 25, 2012, 01:58:12 AM
I had a Mark II that my father in law left me when he passed. I loved that gun!¡! Cheap to soot and handled so well. When I got it I was stationed in Korea and my wife was living at Ft Stewart, Ga. We couldn't take it with us and left it with her older brother (shady smurf). I went to get it after I came back from Korea and found out he sold it. I was furious  :rant: :rant: :rant:

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #29 on: December 28, 2012, 02:54:05 AM
I own a few .22lr pistols.
Ruger Mk II, III, SR22,  (2) North American Arms a PUG & Mini-Revolver. The PUG is 22mag.
Next on my list is a Sig Mosquito .22LR
Own 2 Ruger 10/22s one of which is stock and the other is tweaked.

How do you like the NAA Pug? I'm seriously considering the Black Widow, with a conversion cylinder. We've been quite happy with the SR22 for target shooting. Fun and inexpensive.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%