Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spartan with no scale tools?

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Spartan with no scale tools?
on: February 17, 2013, 05:26:30 PM
I was wondering if you could help me with something I've always been a bit confused about. I got my first SAK when I was very little as a gift from my dad who'd got it from someone at work. Despite talking about them in the instructions it hasn't got an tools in the scales and I was wondering if that was common? Most of the rest of it looks like a Spartan apart from the lack of tweezers/toothpick and the colour. Is there an "economy Spartan" that was used as corporate advertising or something?

Sorry about the state of the blade, a few years ago it was "sharpened" really badly by someone and it's badly scratched. As for the rest of it, well, it's been a user!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Spartan with no scale tools?
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 05:31:12 PM
That would be a Standard.  See the Variations section here; http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Spartan
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 06:08:18 PM
Wow I didn't know that. I just realized my mom has a Marlboro standard.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 07:35:31 PM
That would be a Standard.  See the Variations section here; http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Spartan

Well I thought so too at first, except it has a key ring.
So unless the wiki is wrong and some Standards *do* have a key ring, I guess it can't be that?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 07:45:02 PM by Cupboard »

Offline jrp316

Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 07:47:00 PM
There is a Spartan variant without the scale tools that still has the keyring and cellidor scales. I have a NIB one from the 80s.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 08:47:56 PM
So it's just the vintage then. Thanks for the help :)

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 09:32:07 PM

Well I thought so too at first, except it has a key ring.
So unless the wiki is wrong and some Standards *do* have a key ring, I guess it can't be that?
There is a Spartan variant without the scale tools that still has the keyring and cellidor scales. I have a NIB one from the 80s.

So it's just the vintage then. Thanks for the help :)

It could be there was also a "Standard" with keyring.  The wiki may not be exactly right on that point.  Vic was open to making most models with and without the keyring at one time.  The Standard being of military origins, may not have had the ring, but I'll try to check the more recent information on the transition of the Standard to the Spartan.

In any case it really does just come down to the vintage of the knife.

us Offline WoodMan

Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 09:53:03 PM
I also have a red cellidor Spartan with keyring, without scale tools, and with a grooved corkscrew.  Would it be safe to conclude that it's a US SABI 5064 Spartan as listed on SAKWiki and not a Standard?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 11:10:19 PM
I also have a red cellidor Spartan with keyring, without scale tools, and with a grooved corkscrew.  Would it be safe to conclude that it's a US SABI 5064 Spartan as listed on SAKWiki and not a Standard?

Interesting, a grooved corkscrew... must of been a feature on how it was designed. Wonder how many different designs a corkscrew can have?

¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline WoodMan

Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 12:08:01 AM

Interesting, a grooved corkscrew... must of been a feature on how it was designed. Wonder how many different designs a corkscrew can have?

(Image removed from quote.)

SAKWiki indicates the groove was dropped from the corkscrew sometime between 1991 and 1994: http://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Corkscrew

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 12:15:53 AM
There have probbaly been many different variations on the corkscrew and as we recently learned it is not even made in Switzerland anymore, but imported from France.

I believe the original way they were manufactured by twisting two pieces of metal together did result in the nice groove... later however they used different techniques to make them and the grove was created differently.  Now they just forget the groove, but that seems OK for the cork material that is used on wine these days.

The earlier corkscrews have a nice groove that I think is effective, at some point there was one that was really shallow and seems decoration only.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 09:54:44 AM
There have probbaly been many different variations on the corkscrew and as we recently learned it is not even made in Switzerland anymore, but imported from France.

I believe the original way they were manufactured by twisting two pieces of metal together did result in the nice groove... later however they used different techniques to make them and the grove was created differently.  Now they just forget the groove, but that seems OK for the cork material that is used on wine these days.

The earlier corkscrews have a nice groove that I think is effective, at some point there was one that was really shallow and seems decoration only.

:o I must have missed the memo on that one  :P For such an integral component on hundreds of thousands (?) of knives a year, I'm really surprised this isn't made in house

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD