Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chinese Higonokami knives.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Chinese Higonokami knives.
on: March 16, 2024, 08:15:14 PM
I'd been looking for another brass Higonokami knife for a while and found these on the AliExpress site.  Really good and cheap price so I plopped down the debit card and placed my order.
I ordered 2 of the polished and 2 of the forged patterns and 1 Damascus.
They came in this morning and I figured I'd share my thoughts.

higotrio.jpg
* higotrio.jpg (Filesize: 255.27 KB)

First off, instead of pinned pivots these have torx fasteners.  Not really an issue but still...
Second, instead of a traditional flat grind these have a secondary bevel, which is less noticable on the Damascus.  They were all pretty sharp so I can live with that.
Third, I can easily tell that the Damascus blade is real, not sure of the composition though.  I can't really tell if the polished and forged blades are SanMai or not, yet, until I do some work on them.
Fourth,  the handles may or may not be brass and are simply brass plated.  IDK.

They were cheap enough and I'm more pleased, than not, so I'd have to say that they're  "Cheap and Cheerful".
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: Chinese Higonokami knives.
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 09:45:57 PM
   There's something to be said for minimalist knives.  I wondered today where I left my Opinel.  Then I patted my shirt pocket and there it was.  My knife dealer pal used to order cheap little folding boxcutter type knives.  Held together with a hollow rivet.  He gave them away.  Plastic handles.  They were made with the same design as the nicer ones you have, but small.
    He went to UPS to ship something and left several of the things for the drivers.  Next time he went back, the gal at the desk asked if he had any more of them.  She said the drivers fought over them.  I would like to think she meant just some loud words.  Best wishes.  G
 :cheers: 

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 08:03:42 PM
I've got a couple more, with black handles, on the way now just to add on to these.

Should be in this week.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 12:10:21 AM
    Looking forward to the new arrival photos.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :hatsoff:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 08:23:29 PM
I'm actually quite pleased with the ones that I got from AliExpress, Gary.  Took some heat on another form about the "Chinese " aspect, but in some ways they perform better than a true Higo.
First, and most obvious, is the torx pivot which should allow adjustability.  No more hammers to tighten them up.
Second,  the kick keeps the blade from hitting the metal handle.  On a few of my true Higos I've had to add a leather bumper to the inside of the handle.
The one that I'm currently carrying I've removed the bevil and made more of a traditional flat grind which is holding up quite well considering the uncertainty of the steel.  I can say that I'm certain that it's just a stainless blade and not a San Mai.
I'm also happy with the patina that the handle is taking which is why I ordered the brass handled set.

* 0410241419.jpg (Filesize: 389.59 KB)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024, 08:49:07 PM
  Looks good to me.  Seems like Echotech or somebody had some of these type knives on the Country of Origin challenge.  He had lots of neat Japanese knives.  People used to take grief for having anything made in Japan.  Once upon a time.  Probably somewhere else got the scorn in the generation before that.  Best wishes.  G

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 12:15:32 AM
True Higos are a simple work of art, IMHO.
Just 3 pieces; handle, blade and pin.

I like the brass handled ones.

True blade is a reverse tanto shape in San Mai Damascus and is razor sharp.

The Japanese definitely took a lot of grief after WW II, more so than the Germans did.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 06:29:02 PM
Alrighty now.
Well the Pony Express delivered my black handled Higo clone yesterday after a 12 day journey from the Chinese mainland.  Not too bad but they used the UPS - USPS handoff for some reason.  Sat in limbo for 3 days while UPS decided to pick it up.

Oh well, I'm happy.

Same build quality as the brass ones.  The temu description says that the handle is aluminum, but unless they've made a new alloy, it's steel because it stuck to the magnet on my phone case.

* 0413241537a.jpg (Filesize: 501.34 KB)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 09:46:47 PM
   Looks good, Pit.  I might like the brass better.  Have to see both before deciding.  Are you going to carry one of them?  Best wishes.  G

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 12:02:04 AM
I like the brass better also.  Darned expensive for a true Higo in brass, so these were a no brainer.  I've already put one of the brass ones in my EDC bag.  The black one is in a pocket pouch ATM.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD