Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

For Powerlock Carriers...

Biru · 16 · 3356

Offline Biru

For Powerlock Carriers...
on: February 19, 2008, 06:15:44 PM
I've been toying with retiring my old Wave and carrying my Powerlock. While comparing it to my Supertool, the only thing that bugged me was the handle width/jaw gap ratio. You have to open the handles VERY wide to get the jaws open much. Does that ever hinder you?

Also, does ANYBODY here actually use the socket attachment? A) I don't carry sockets around with me and B) If I did, I'd probably carry a ratchet with them. I'm toying with ordering one of the replacement tools (like the V-cutter) and replacing that thing.

Thanks for your input! Bill.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Re: For Powerlock Carriers...
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 10:13:13 PM
I have used them for smaller prodjects around my Haunt last year. It is handy just to be able to fix something quickly while kids and adults run around.

However outside of my haunt I have no use for 1/4 inch drive.
S

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 12:15:42 AM
A V-cutter won't fit where the 1/4" drive will...the plier head won't be able to close.  I know SOG sells a snall adapter that fits on the 1/4" drive so you can use regular driver bits. If you cane across another large flathead bit, you could file it down into a chisel and replace the 1/4" drive with that.

The jaws open wider than any tool I've had, BUT, if you're trying to grip something really wide, you need to use two hands (one on each handle).  I don't mind; if it was another tool you woulden't even be able to do that.
[

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 01:51:01 AM
I would reserve a powerlock if your looking to use a very large tool alot of the time, and most certainly don't mind hefting it around. I own a PL but prefer the wave/charge due to weight and size, there is nothing in my day that requires anything bigger. If it did I would most certainly carry a powerlock or a Swisstool.

David

Offline Biru

Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 01:56:36 AM
As always, you fellows have been a font of advice! I think I'm going to carry the PL a few days and see how I like it. I'm trying to decide whether I want the tool covers. The socket drive just seems so odd that I wondered about changing it. Corrugated, I thank you MUCH for advising me before I got the V-cutter. Regards, Bill.

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 04:54:56 AM
     You can use the compound leverage to really torque down with the tool in the almost closed position but be warned you may get a good pinch if you slip off what you are gripping.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 05:36:56 AM
Believe it or not, I actually use the socket adapter more than I thought I would.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 11:01:58 AM
Biru, I see the main use of the 1/4" drive as a bit adapter rather than for use with sockets.  Would you not find that more useful?  You could then carry around many different screw types and be prepared for most things then.
I'm back!!

Offline Biru

Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 03:15:32 PM
Ahhh... Good idea, Benner. I may try that. I have tons of those bits lying around. I think I'll check and see if I have a bit holder handy. I have a sheath with a built-in bit holder in which I used to carry my Gerber Legend 800. I just couldn't get on with the Gerber and retired it for my Wave. I'll see if its bit holder works with that.

My thanks to you all, Bill.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 09:17:07 PM
... The jaws open wider than any tool I've had, BUT, if you're trying to grip something really wide, you need to use two hands (one on each handle).  ...

Or position the PowerLock's handles as shown below.  The jaws open wider and the gearing permits you to apply force.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 05:05:26 AM
I've never had to use it in that way, but for an oddly placed nut it might make all the difference if you can't fit the whole extended tool in the area.
[

Offline bobofish

Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 01:07:38 PM
The super wide opening jaws are actually the reason I traded mine away; for me it was an achilles heel. Never seemed right on anything I tried it on, although to be fair I basically just played with my PL and didn't use it heavily. I have to say though, the reason I only played with it instead of actually using it was that it was just so impractically awkward on the few things I tried to use it on the first few days I had it.

To each their own however, it's definitely well made!

Offline skylinedo

Reply #12 on: March 26, 2008, 10:34:17 AM
... The jaws open wider than any tool I've had, BUT, if you're trying to grip something really wide, you need to use two hands (one on each handle).  ...

Or position the PowerLock's handles as shown below.  The jaws open wider and the gearing permits you to apply force.

(Image removed from quote.)

Just don't don't do not donut let the clamped item slip out or else expect a nasty pinch that would be the envy of leathermans.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 08:59:25 PM
Ahhh... Good idea, Benner. I may try that. I have tons of those bits lying around. I think I'll check and see if I have a bit holder handy. I have a sheath with a built-in bit holder in which I used to carry my Gerber Legend 800. I just couldn't get on with the Gerber and retired it for my Wave. I'll see if its bit holder works with that.

My thanks to you all, Bill.

Sorry I missed this earlier.....

Bill, you've probably noted by now that the Gerber bit holder doesn't work on the SOG. The SOG bit driver is made to fit diagonally into a 1/4" square drive socket.

What you need for driving hex bits is an ordinary 1/4" drive, 1/4" socket.  (1/4" square hole in one end and 1/4" hex hole in the other) You've probably got one in your toolbox somewhere. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 12:00:20 AM
Also the socket needs to hold the bit somehow...something with either one of those retention wires (don't know the correct term), or a magnet.

I still haven't found anything that would work.
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 12:06:57 AM
Also the socket needs to hold the bit somehow...something with either one of those retention wires (don't know the correct term), or a magnet.

I still haven't found anything that would work.

My oops, you're right about that. A 1/4" socket will work, but the hex bit will fall out.  :-\

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%