Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alternative sheath for Surge, bit kit, bit extender and flashlight?

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Hey guys. Can you recommend a decent sheath for my surge and whatnot. I have the sheath that came with it (leather/nylon, the newer one). I like it somewhat, but i'm always afraid to lose the bit extender and flashlight. I'd carry it horizontal but that would make me even more paranoid. Any ideas? All in all it will be:

-Surge
-Streamlight Microstream flashlight
-little pouch with file and a hack saw blade
-Bit kit card or two if new sheath allows
-bit extender

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
A Metropolicity Skinth. :tu:

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
A Metropolicity Skinth. :tu:

+1  :tu: Another excellent choice: http://www.skinthsolutions.com/

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

So in your opinion what would the minimal size skinth be for all that?

wales Offline RICHJ

I'm keen to know this too as i have the same problem :(
Is there a leatherman branded item that would do the the job ?

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
You'll need a Skinth PLus with

1. Penta Pocket
2. Side Tube Flaps
3. Velcro Closure (standard)
4. Horizontal Carry Straps

Personally, no sheath is made to be carried sideways with accessories correctly, gravity is a cruel mistress.
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
I'm keen to know this too as i have the same problem :(
Is there a leatherman branded item that would do the the job ?

There is the large MOLLE sheath that would work. Everything would fit, but it would end up quite bulky when compared to a Skinth.

wales Offline RICHJ

How wide are the side tubes ? can they be elasticated ?

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
How wide are the side tubes ? can they be elasticated ?

They are about 20mm wide, but it's got some give. I don't do elastic, elastic breaks down and it's why I started making sheaths withOUT elastic.

To retain the side tube contents, you'll need the side tube flaps
Why stop now?

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

58$ for a skinth?! are there any alternate website which are cheaper, or alternate sheaths? I could get a new leatherman or fill up my car twice for that amount lol

wales Offline RICHJ

I was thinking the same but daren't post such lol...

They are really nice and just whats needed but out of my price range :(

wales Offline RICHJ

I may go down the route of the Leatherman nylon sheath plus additional bit kit sheath ???

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
58$ for a skinth?! are there any alternate website which are cheaper, or alternate sheaths? I could get a new leatherman or fill up my car twice for that amount lol

It's your call, I am not trying to defend myself but by the time you search, find, buy, mod, hope it works..you could have a Skinth :)

Also...some of gotta eat too ;)
Why stop now?

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
The Original “Pock-Its Utility Holster”

(Image removed from quote.)

I am not sure that a Surge will fit in the original Pock-Its.   A better fit would be the Pock-Its XL, a larger version:

http://www.mypockits.com/product_info.php?cPath=17&products_id=33
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline radiotecha1234

I always liked Nite Ize cases. But, that is just me.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
I always liked Nite Ize cases. But, that is just me.

Nite ize is just a distributor. Bob form Pockits, a member here and has a store on edcsource, makes them.

us Offline radiotecha1234

Thanks for the tip.

wales Offline RICHJ

It's your call, I am not trying to defend myself but by the time you search, find, buy, mod, hope it works..you could have a Skinth :)

Also...some of gotta eat too ;)

I hear what you're saying Eric  :D

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

I also understand and I think your product is awesome, I'm just not rich enough to be able to afford it. I'll wash dishes for a reduction in price...

wales Offline RICHJ

I also understand and I think your product is awesome, I'm just not rich enough to be able to afford it. I'll wash dishes for a reduction in price...

I'll dry  :D

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club

I hear you, but as far as i can see, those sheaths don´t drop off of a Mass production line in china. The sold volume is rather low and teh engineering and prototyping is high, especially compared to the OEM sheaths.

I´m just waiting what tool will make my future EDC (Spirit or MP 600) and will order one, regardless teh higher cost. If it fits my needs better than the Gerber/Vic sheath, I´m willing to pay not only the material and workmanship but the great idea, too.

Offline Viix

I carry my wave, bit card and extender in the molle sheath (that came with the BO wave). Horizontal carry is fine with it as long as everything is tight and cozy as the sides covers more of the tool ( sides are higher) than the nylon and leather sheath but gravity still has a way of slowly pulling the bit extender out of place..
If only there is a slot in there someone under the flap then I'm sure the extender would be secured..

I also have the nite ize multi pockits and while I like the pocket divisions, the cover flaps they make are a tad to small for personal comfort if you want to horizontal carry.. The work mighty well for horizontal carry though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 06:19:00 PM by Viix »

au Offline PPCAPache

Hey SuzukiGS750EZ,

Here is my Skinth OG that I got from Eric. Very Similar setup that you are asking about, I carry the LM Surge, Led Lenser P3 (Left tube), and for now the LM Micra (Right Tube) I also have one of my Bit cards and the replacement Saw as well in the Skinth.

I now carry the P3 with the face down not up as in the below photo.

You are right the Skinth's are not cheap, however I did my research and couldn't find any that is near that of the Skinth in Size, Material used and genuine feed back from forums like this, so for me it was an "Investment" rather than just a purchase, Yes I did use the Leatherman Leather case the Surge came with, I also had an old Neoprene Camera case that fitted the Surge and P3 next to each other but they just didn't feel right or carry well, until I got my Skinth it is small and looks great, I have mine in black as my uniform is black it blends in very well.

So for me and yes I do say "For Me" the Skinth was the best option, I am not rich by any amount however both my wife and I look at our purchases based on Workmanship, durability, usefulness and ROI (Return of Investment), the last one is more about ok if I buy "A" how long will it last, will it meet my needs?, Will I be able to use it everyday for the purpose I need it for? And I do need the Skinth to last as I use it everyday with my Surge which is not the Smallest of Multi-tools.

I have now decided to get the Skinth Plus which is a bit bigger than the OG as the OG is for Full Multi-tools like my LM Rebar, which my Wife now uses so she will get the Skinth OG. The Plus will give me just a larger side tubes and more room for the Surge to fit in, I have also gone for the Stainless Steel belt clip as my OG sheath just has the belt loop.

Well I know this thread hasn't seen anyone else add to it for over 120 days, I just wanted to show you what I have gained from the Skinth sheaths and would highly recommend one, I would say if and when you can afford one go for either the Skinth plus or XL.

Cheers Jace
Founder & Chief UAV Pilot at Elevated Drone Control Zone

Rotation EDC: LM MUT, LM OHT, Fenix LD12 / LD22, Benchmade Mini Griptilian, Bit Card, Bit Extender, TEC Ti-Pry Bar, Garmin Tactix Delta, LM Tread LT, iPhone XS Max, iPad Pro (2020) 12.9”,

Other EDC: LM Surge, LM Wave, LM Wave BO, Skeletool & Skeletool KBX Coyote Tan, The RIT [Rapid Intervention Tool], Zippo Lighter,

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Believe me the Skinth price seems high.   But one you get one you understand why.   It is not going to fall apart, the material is super high quality.   The stitching is strong.

I won a Skinth M7.  That is when I knew I was going to invest the money for a Skinth

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

If I can help, let me know 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69