Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

91mm Hardwood scales....Any tips??

tosh · 11 · 1838

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
91mm Hardwood scales....Any tips??
on: July 12, 2012, 01:47:11 AM
I'm toying with the idea of making a jig of sorts.. :ahhh, so as to knock out hardwood, bone etc etc scales for the popular 91mm Victorinox's.
I'm also considering....I'll say that again..Considering,   putting a chequer pattern and maybe even some form of profile, i.e similar to the wenger evo range.

Has anyone out there attempted to build such a jig?
Or, even better can anyone offer some words of wisdom.

I'm assuming that the holes for the rivits on standard scales could/can be replicated onto either wood or bone OR is there a serious problem that I've overlooked.

Cheers
Tosh
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: 91mm Hardwood scales....Any tips??
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 02:03:04 AM
Hm, :think: what kind of a jig did you have in mind? To do what? Just cut the scales shape, profile them, drill rivet holes (and yes, no problem there) or all of the above? What tools did you intend to use? I'll probably be making plus scales out of oak this week so I can beta test it for you. :D

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 02:23:42 AM
Hm, :think: what kind of a jig did you have in mind? To do what? Just cut the scales shape, profile them, drill rivet holes (and yes, no problem there) or all of the above? What tools did you intend to use? I'll probably be making plus scales out of oak this week so I can beta test it for you. :D

I've got most if not all the tools I could possibly wish for...except maybe a CNC router :ahhh.

However, I'm pretty certain that it should be feasible to build jigs (10mm acrylic) for every stage, except for the chequering. The jigs themselves will obviously be trial and error thus making progress very slow at the beginning. However, once they're actually perfected, they could be duplicated and hopefuly the scales could be knocked out in almost any medium.
As much as I love the idea of a profiled, chequer grip,  burr elm scale on a SAK. I do worry that given the very nature of wood, stability is going to be a serious problem.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 02:29:27 AM
The only jig making I did was for liner making, but it worked perfect. I still use the same method to cut liner from brass and 6061 aluminum, although Ive refined my jig somewhat, the principle is the same still.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,35639.0.html

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 10:44:10 AM
The only jig making I did was for liner making, but it worked perfect. I still use the same method to cut liner from brass and 6061 aluminum, although Ive refined my jig somewhat, the principle is the same still.

That's more or less the route I intend to take, Syph'
Lots and lots of acrylic templates.
That router base for the dremel, has shocking reviews on amazon.uk.
The general consensus is that it wobbles like crazy - which, if the case makes it totally pointless.
What are your views on it? Because if it could be used "Accurately" I'll definitely get one.
Would be a damn sight easier than using any of the 1/2" beasts I currently use. :ahhh

Tosh

But without a shadow of doubt, CNC Routering is definately the way to go with this idea.
Then the only limitation is your imagination - (hey, that sounds like a good song)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 12:23:09 PM

That's more or less the route I intend to take, Syph'
Lots and lots of acrylic templates.
That router base for the dremel, has shocking reviews on amazon.uk.
The general consensus is that it wobbles like crazy - which, if the case makes it totally pointless.
What are your views on it? Because if it could be used "Accurately" I'll definitely get one.
Would be a damn sight easier than using any of the 1/2" beasts I currently use. :ahhh

Tosh

But without a shadow of doubt, CNC Routering is definately the way to go with this idea.
Then the only limitation is your imagination - (hey, that sounds like a good song)

Ya the dremel base is not a super quality item, but it suits my needs since im removing such a small amount of material, and the bit is guided by the template that is very close to it, its worked out fine.   A proper router would work better, you'd just have to scale up the templates.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 02:01:12 PM
Have you thought of using a laminate trimmer? they are easier to control than a full sized router
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 02:30:00 PM
Have you thought of using a laminate trimmer? they are easier to control than a full sized router

I have, But off hand I don't know of any with the plunge facility.
I really don't fancy  trying to drop the spinning bit into, what will be a very thin piece of wood.

However, I'm warming to the idea of building a small but way over the top pantograph - the laminate trimmer would then be my first choice, either that or a Dremel. At present, I can't really afford to waste any money, so I need to be as sure as I can that which ever path I take will offer a certain degree of success.

I'm doing as much research via the web as I can on Glides, Bearings, Rollers etc etc.
Personally, I think it's perfectly feasible.

I'm totally new to this idea, so forgive my ignorance.
But, how about:-

- A jig simply to create the outside profile.
- Another 2 Jigs, 1 to hold the "New" blank & 1 to hold a genuine scale  - or build both jigs on  the same platform, the distance between them will ultimately be the distance the Pantograph requires.
- Then simply mill out.

"SIMPLY"......!!   :twak: :twak: :twak:

.........what do you think??  :think:

Offline richs2891

Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 02:57:10 PM
I wish you luck - if I only had the time I would love to try this,

Looking forward to seeing the end result and hopefully will be buying some off you.

ps bit of a carbon fibre junkie so if do any CF scales

Richard

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 04:24:09 PM
If you do go with the trimmer Makita make a plunge base for theirs
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 05:11:43 PM
If you do go with the trimmer Makita make a plunge base for theirs

I take it you mean this:-

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=plunge+base+for+makita+laminate+trimmer&view=detail&id=4B689C687B745B926AF72D15CBBF91094133E98A&FORM=IDFRIR

Yep, that would do nicely.

I'll have go first with what I currently own - I've got a garage full of tools including the bosch gkf600 laminate trimmer (colt to you guys in the US). I think with a bit of perseverance and plenty of "where there's a will there's a way" attitude it should be feasable.

If I then think the idea will definitely work, then maybe it's toy time! :ahhh

Tosh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%