Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2012 SUMMER OLYMPICS THREAD

sawman · 100 · 7439

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
on: July 12, 2012, 05:10:03 AM
Who else can't wait for this most eagerly awaited event of the year?   :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
SAW

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: 2012 SUMMER OLYMPICS THREAD
Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 01:05:11 PM
I have to say I've never really gotten Olympic fever.  Of course I'm not really a sports guy, so maybe that has a lot to do with it.  I don't mind watching some of it here and there but for the most part it passes largely unnoticed for me.

I imagine it'll have a bigger impact on the forum this year given the large number of UK members and the fact that it's happening in London.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 01:42:43 PM
I have to say I've never really gotten Olympic fever.  Of course I'm not really a sports guy, so maybe that has a lot to do with it.  I don't mind watching some of it here and there but for the most part it passes largely unnoticed for me.

I imagine it'll have a bigger impact on the forum this year given the large number of UK members and the fact that it's happening in London.

Def

....Womens beach voleyball....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 01:46:56 PM
I can't wait!  There are so many stories during the olympics of sacrifice, coming through as the underdog and sometimes the stories of champions you just want to see stay on top. 

I hope the coverage is good.  They usually do a better job of summer olympics coverage it seems.   

Sent from my MB860
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 03:46:35 PM

Def

:think:  i wonder if this is on in weymouth ? might have to pop over and visit my mum  :D but no olympic fever here im afraid, i might watch the torch on friday as going near my house  :tu:

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 04:00:12 PM
Currently working on a dance school show, where one of the props we are using is one of the torches used to get the flame around the country.  It is being handles VERY carefully as it has a value of £5000.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 04:11:35 PM

Def

:think:  i wonder if this is on in weymouth ? might have to pop over and visit my mum  :D but no olympic fever here im afraid, i might watch the torch on friday as going near my house  :tu:

Torch came by this way recently. I kept out of the way. I just had to set off for work a bit early to make sure I didn't get too snarled up in it all :-\ Looks like a nice bit of metalwork, but there's no way I want to get snarled up in a crowd just so someone I've never heard of can trot past me holding it with a daft grin on their face expecting a round of applause and cheers for it ::)

Might be tempted to watch a bit of the opening ceremony to see what kind of a show get's put on if I can be bothered going anywhere to watch it (no TV at home), but I'll not be following the games themselves :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 05:18:04 PM
The only event I am really interested in is the Heptathlon. Hopefully Jessica Ennis will get gold.

If they show any Taekwondo, I'll watch that as well.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:29:06 PM by Millhouse »
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 05:19:15 PM
I really hope it's not a shambles ::)

We're billions over budget from original projections. The road works have brought utter chaos to the city and cars have been diverted all over the place. The private "security" staff aren't trained yet; we just sacked loads of trained armed forces people due to public spending cutbacks and paid some idiots £258mil to train people without any experience. Now they are talking about calling in thousands of army personnel to cover the security needed.

Yep, getting the logic so far  >:(

However, wherever the Olympics is, I usually watch a fair bit of it. It's exciting to see excellent in any arena I think :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 05:32:30 PM
 :D

Well I think it's fair to say that other than picking up my own personal share of the £100,000,000,000+ bill :o :o :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh as a UK taxpayer from direct costs and accumulated interest on the debt over the next few decades ... this little two week event will have pretty much no effect on my life, or anyone else I know. I was not one of the people celebrating when London was picked. My response was more like ....

:facepalm:

That said ... I do hope we put on a good show, that we do our nation proud in our responsibilities as hosts, and that the event brings enjoyment and benefit to less cynical people all around the globe  :D :D :D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:34:22 PM by 50ft-trad »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 05:35:19 PM
I generally feel pretty indifferent about the Olympics, but Im glad they aren't in Canada.  I dont like all the money wasted to build things that dont get used again.  Im looking at you BC when we did the winter Olympics.  So overall, feels like kind of a waste of money to me.  It would make more sense if they held them in the same country or location each year so keep using the same facilities.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 05:53:43 PM
 :tu: ... not here though please  :rofl:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 06:13:18 PM
:tu: ... not here though please  :rofl:

:rofl:   :tu:  please not here  :D

my brother text me the other week to see if i want to go and watch the road cycling, i dont mind but the last section of the race will probably be a circuit in london itself and i cant be doing with all the traffic and people as i hate crowds, ill watch it on tv  ;) I also hope we do well in the bmx this year as i enjoy wathing it as much as i loved doing it ,

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 08:07:18 PM
Under the category of "Priceless":

Just heard on the radio that the US Senate and Congress are all up in arms and screaming because someone noticed that all of the United States Olympic Uniforms say "Made in China" on the tags.
 :rofl:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 10:56:22 PM
oh god now ive got to hear about them hear too, bloody waste of money in my opinion
I

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 11:03:44 PM
Not too big on the Olympics honestly.  I'm sure I'll have it on a bit though.  I remember watching the '98 Winter Olympics on CBC at college.  Now THAT was fun.  Curling at 3am, and how the hell was Don Cherry not kicked out of Japan for those outfits?   :think: 
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 01:44:33 AM
Who else can't wait for this most eagerly awaited event of the year?   :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Me.  I love the Olympics.  I liked it even more when we had to wait 4 long years to see it - like God intended.  But aside from basketball, which I think has been perverted with the usage of NBA players, I'll be watching as much as I can.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Re: Re: 2012 SUMMER OLYMPICS THREAD
Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 02:34:13 AM

Me.  I love the Olympics.  I liked it even more when we had to wait 4 long years to see it - like God intended.  But aside from basketball, which I think has been perverted with the usage of NBA players, I'll be watching as much as I can.

We always watch as much of the Olympics as we can, both summer and winter.  It does seem like there's no break in between them though. 

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

wales Offline RICHJ

Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 02:15:40 PM

Well I think it's fair to say that other than picking up my own personal share of the £100,000,000,000+ bill :o :o :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh as a UK taxpayer from direct costs and accumulated interest on the debt over the next few decades ... this little two week event will have pretty much no effect on my life, or anyone else I know. I was not one of the people celebrating when London was picked. My response was more like ....

That said ... I do hope we put on a good show, that we do our nation proud in our responsibilities as hosts, and that the event brings enjoyment and benefit to less cynical people all around the globe  :D :D :D

I'll second this  :tu:
I lost interest in this when I read they've built/developed a course for the mountain biking in or around London when we already have world class courses in Wales, Scotland and the N. of England.
Basically everyone in the Uk is paying for it to benefit London

Incredible amounts of money being spent when there are pensioners dying because they can't afford to pay for their heating, 20 week waiting lists for hospital scans, the country is on the bones of its *RS* .

Rediculous if you ask me  :twak:

Not that I'm bitter lol...

us Offline Pacu

Reply #19 on: July 14, 2012, 11:15:35 AM
Wife and I alway watch the games. Gymnastics are our fav. We love it when they are perfect on the contraptions..but also love it when they f up royally too.  :facepalm:

also the triathlon, volleyball, beach volleyball, cycling and of course swimming!

i swam from 6th grade thru high school. Thought i was fast going to state but i might as well been sitting on the side of the pool compared to olympic times. ::)

:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 04:11:21 PM
Hit my town on friday  :tu: Dont tell the wife she is on the net  :D  ;)

england Offline thesuper

Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 05:48:36 PM

I'll second this  :tu:
I lost interest in this when I read they've built/developed a course for the mountain biking in or around London when we already have world class courses in Wales, Scotland and the N. of England.
Basically everyone in the Uk is paying for it to benefit London

Incredible amounts of money being spent when there are pensioners dying because they can't afford to pay for their heating, 20 week waiting lists for hospital scans, the country is on the bones of its *RS* .

Rediculous if you ask me  :twak:

Not that I'm bitter lol...
+1 on all that :tu: I live in central London and work on the "tube" so my life will be disrupted for months and I'll be even busier at work all summer. My son is a cop and he isnt allowed any time off till September, with huge ammounts of compulsery overtime. Better be a bleeding good show for all this aggro :ahhh
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 10:08:00 AM
Better be a bleeding good show for all this aggro :ahhh

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/olympics/4431334/Olympic-womens-beach-volleyball-in-cover-up-shock.html

FANS of women’s beach volleyball were distraught last night after it was revealed competitors may have to hide their curves at the Olympics.
Bad weather could deny male spectators the sight of tanned and toned athletes cavorting in bikinis.

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline RICHJ

Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 02:15:26 PM
Thats it !! not worth bothering at all now  :(

england Offline macabee

Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 02:23:21 PM
Never mind Olympic fever, it's more like sodding rain fever at the moment :ahhh
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 05:49:41 AM
Great show tonight!   :D   :cheers:
SAW

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #26 on: July 28, 2012, 09:47:37 AM
Anyone else notice the "salute" when the German team walked in?

:o
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: July 28, 2012, 10:24:26 AM

lol i did  :D

was a good show, although found the first bit a little odd  :D we stayed up till 1am even though i was very tired from work, but off for 2 weeks now  :ahhh  watching the archery now  :salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: July 28, 2012, 10:35:09 AM

Oh yes.  In truth it's just the studio director playing silly beggars, the guy was just waving his arm in time to the Bee Gees.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 10:39:45 AM
BTW I suspect we'll be watching quite a lot of the Olympics, my daughter loves almost any kind of competitive sport; F1, tennis, running, swimming, cricket.....the list goes on. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%