Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2012 SUMMER OLYMPICS THREAD

sawman · 100 · 7412

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: 2012 SUMMER OLYMPICS THREAD
Reply #60 on: August 03, 2012, 07:10:06 PM
I don't know whether to post this in the "what makes you laugh?" thread or here.  When I fist heard this from a friend I thought he was just messing with me.  Sadly he wasn't.....
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/us-news-blog/2012/apr/13/keith-moon-london-olympics-organisers

:facepalm:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #61 on: August 03, 2012, 07:17:08 PM
Oh good grief. ::)

:doh:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #62 on: August 03, 2012, 09:58:13 PM
I've always liked the Olympics, but unfortunately can't get much TV time now... I've heard our gymnast Jordan Jovchev has qualified for the finals and also that our volleyball team killed Poland and Australia and is moving forward too. At least something to compensate for our hopeless football in general :D :D

I'm crazy about Jordan Jovchev - one of my favourite all time Olympians :tu:

Looks like our women's footy team is on the way out :(
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #63 on: August 05, 2012, 12:06:43 AM
Well that was quite a day for team GB. :o  Also kudos to Michael Phelps going out on an excellent high.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #64 on: August 05, 2012, 12:29:18 AM
Its been a good games so far.  Today of course was a bit special but even when Team GB haven't been taking medals I've enjoyed it and sometimes surprised myself.  Never been into basketball ... before now. Funny old world :)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: August 05, 2012, 12:37:45 AM
Well that was quite a day for team GB. :o  Also kudos to Michael Phelps going out on an excellent high.

Congratulations to Jessica Ennis
Fantastic performance and a well deserved gold for a true beauty both inside and out.

Also great performance by Mo Farah and the ginger long jumper, he seemed a bit of a cocky git but fair play to him he earned it.
I did not see the rowing but I did see the clips of the disbelief on the faces of the young ladies who won the gold, what a picture.

I really hope Christine Ohuruogu can dig deep and does well tomorrow.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #66 on: August 05, 2012, 09:48:03 AM
You're so right chip - nailed the day's highlights! :D

As for out Jess.... woah :salute:

Somehow for me, heptathlon and decathlon athletes impress me the most. The connection with the original spirit of the games, and being the best all round takes something special. She showed incredible emotional fortitude as well as being physically supreme.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: August 05, 2012, 10:06:16 AM
You're so right chip - nailed the day's highlights! :D

As for out Jess.... woah :salute:

Somehow for me, heptathlon and decathlon athletes impress me the most. The connection with the original spirit of the games, and being the best all round takes something special. She showed incredible emotional fortitude as well as being physically supreme.

she is amazing and a top athlete  :salute:  and thos abs  :o  :D  great day saturday and was even better as was around my brothers doing the BBQ and plenty of guiness  :tu:

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #68 on: August 06, 2012, 03:57:32 AM
Filed under "I live in a country full of idiots":

I was watching the news this afternoon, hearing about how great the UK is doing, and then they hand the story over to a reporter that does a short introspective on the team. Typical stuff, emotional music, quick heart warming bio's, and then she says it:

"Having faced so many financial problems recently, this just may be the turning point for the country"

:facepalm:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #69 on: August 06, 2012, 09:12:41 PM
We got an unexpected gold medal today. Mens trap shooting, Cernogoraz won with alsmost a perfect score. We counted on the gold in disc throw and Sandra Perkovic got it with authority. Makes me sad that Blanka Vlasic couldn't come due to health issues. She's been dominating the womens high jump for years and now had to miss the olimpics. We have high hopes for our handball and waterpolo teams. Especially after the match the handball players played against the current european champions, the Danes. :viking:

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #70 on: August 09, 2012, 05:45:50 PM
I llloooove the Bulgarian volleyball team! We have to win against Russia at the semi-final tomorrow  :popcorn:

And Stanka Zlateva got at least silver today in wrestling and will go for the gold soon  :woohoo:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #71 on: August 09, 2012, 09:58:10 PM
I'm almost proud to say I don't know who won the Euro2012 football championship, Same goes for tour de france and I don't know a single name of any of the 9 danish goldmedal winners.. ::)

Sent from my Iphone

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #72 on: August 12, 2012, 11:56:46 AM
See how well your nation actually did!  :ahhh

http://www.medalspercapita.com/

Grenada and Jamaica are kicking behinds!!

Basically you have a better chance of getting a medal if you are from these two countries, as they got more medals per capita than the rest.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #73 on: August 12, 2012, 12:31:28 PM
Smurf, couldn't get the bronze in volleyball *sigh*

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #74 on: August 12, 2012, 02:59:36 PM
See how well your nation actually did!  :ahhh

http://www.medalspercapita.com/

Grenada and Jamaica are kicking behinds!!

Basically you have a better chance of getting a medal if you are from these two countries, as they got more medals per capita than the rest.
4th New Zealand. Very happy with our team. I've been waking the kids up yelling support at the tv. So worth it though.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #75 on: August 12, 2012, 10:37:46 PM
So today I did something I usually try to avoid - watch a basketball game.  the gold medal game was a good one though, Spain certainly gave the US a run for their money, very close game right until the end.  :salute:  Afterwards I ended up watching...Water Polo.  Are there rules to water polo?  How does one get a penalty in this game, trying to drown an opposing defenseman?  :think:  The really cool thing is that the announcer was Doc Emerick, the former play by play guy for my Devils!
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #76 on: August 12, 2012, 10:52:29 PM
I saw a little bit of that water polo game too. The scoring made sense and all, but I couldn't follow some of the other rules. :P

(Congrats to Croatia by the way) :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #77 on: August 12, 2012, 10:52:48 PM
There are quite some rules to water polo, but yes, it can get brutal unterneath the water. I think Gojkan said once he played water polo so he may explain it better, or you can google it. The most important thing is we won gold at it. :) So we now have European, World and Olimpic gold in water polo. :woohoo: I wish we had managed to win the gold in handball too, but played poorly against the French in the semifinal. At least we got bronze.   

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #78 on: August 12, 2012, 11:08:05 PM
It looked very physical, that's for sure. (I'd be floating face-down before the match was half over if I were out there) :P
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #79 on: August 12, 2012, 11:20:54 PM

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: August 13, 2012, 02:08:50 AM
Well, it's all over... been an excellent couple of weeks viewing. I will have to watch other stuff now :D

Did anyone watch the closing ceremony? Apart from the odd abhorrence (mostly Russell Brand), I thought it was a pretty good gig. Also, the big bonus of Ireland being separate meant Bono couldn't be involved like he always is in every other bloody thing! ::)

Seb Coe made a rather poignant remark while thanking everyone involved; something about the people who stood guard to keep us safe. Read: Private firm GS4 fecked up big time and our troops made sure it happened without incident instead whist giving up hard earned leave :salute:

My crush on Jessie J got more serious too - interesting choice for lead vocals with Queen, and extremely easy on the eye ;)

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #81 on: August 13, 2012, 03:55:54 AM
Shhhh, we're still watching the closing ceremonies.  :))

What tool if best for post olympic depression?  :tu:

Sent from my MB860
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #82 on: August 13, 2012, 04:11:05 AM
Yeah, post olympics depression is about right. :-\ No more sitting back in my easy chair with a beer and a bag of cheetos, watching the soccer teams play their hearts out. No more water polo, no more pole vaulting, no more long jumping. No more armchair judging the diving competition simply by how small of a splash they make. No more wondering how many times those little girls had to bang their heads on the balance beam before they got it right. No more watching the men's sprint races and trying not to see their crotch bulges. No more noticing what nice behinds and what flat chests all the women's beach volleyball players have. No more anything. :cry:

<sigh> Here's looking forward to 2016 :salute:

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 04:13:50 AM by J-sews »

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #83 on: August 13, 2012, 04:11:12 AM
From what I've seen so far,  Eric idle has saved the show for me.  I was never a spice girl fan, but they are all still pretty attractive.

Sent from my MB860
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #84 on: August 13, 2012, 09:51:50 AM
 Broadly I did enjoy it. :)  Sadly Suggs seems to not be able to sing any more. :-\

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: August 13, 2012, 10:06:41 AM
Yeah, post olympics depression is about right. :-\ No more sitting back in my easy chair with a beer and a bag of cheetos, watching the soccer teams play their hearts out. No more water polo, no more pole vaulting, no more long jumping. No more armchair judging the diving competition simply by how small of a splash they make. No more wondering how many times those little girls had to bang their heads on the balance beam before they got it right. No more watching the men's sprint races and trying not to see their crotch bulges. No more noticing what nice behinds and what flat chests all the women's beach volleyball players have. No more anything. :cry:

<sigh> Here's looking forward to 2016 :salute:

wasnt just me then  :rofl:  and what about jessica ennis abs  :o   loved the closing cerimony and the spice girls have kept themselves fit  :D  tired today as up late but worth it, was cool too see all the music and fashion from the UK, we can do somethings right and Team GB done well for such a small island   :salute:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #86 on: August 13, 2012, 10:12:04 AM
Team GB Don't Stop Me Now
How many dudes you know row like this...

gb Offline nuphoria

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: August 13, 2012, 01:09:21 PM
Broadly I did enjoy it. :)  Sadly Suggs seems to not be able to sing any more. :-\

He was a lot better than Sir Paul at the opening gig - time to retire with some dignity intact me thinks ::)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #88 on: August 13, 2012, 06:40:19 PM

He was a lot better than Sir Paul at the opening gig - time to retire with some dignity intact me thinks ::)

I think this everytime i see him sing chrissy, he's had his time and done dame well but time to hang up the guitar  :D the who did ok though but as well getting old , although arnt we all  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #89 on: August 13, 2012, 07:28:19 PM

Very true. :(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%