Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wengers - evo vs evo grip, and Patagonian vs regular, yellow

gb Offline digitaldave

Im planning on getting a Wenger SAK, so I've been looking at some of the different models. On question I have is, evo vs evo grip? Does the extra grip inserts on the evo grip make much difference? I've never handled either, so have no idea if the extra grip inserts are actually worth it...

Also, I believe I've seen a yellow version of the S18 as well as the Patagonia race version of the same SAK. So, apart from the Patagonian branding, is there any difference between them?

se Offline kinskibrain

I have the yellow Evogrip 18 and I like the grip surface a lot. The Evo is fine too but not as comfortable when wet. I prefer the grip, it feels great in hand.
I think the Patagonian edition has the lock (S18). In retrospect I wish I had bought the locking 18 since it is too thick for pocket carry anyway IMO.

I have been looking at the Rangergrip. There is the Patagonian edition but on German Amazon I found a yellow Rangergrip 79 with a lot more red in the yellow. A more warm, more orange kind of yellow. But I think I prefer the red anyway.

I too am curios about how the Ranger compares to the Rangergrip in the hand?

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
I think that the Patagonian markings are the only difference between the two S18s.  I have the standard one, and it's one great SAK.  :tu:  As for the Evo vs. Evogrip, I really haven't noticed a big difference.  I carry my Wengers pretty much interchangeably, not so much caring about which grip as much as which model.  One thing I do like about the EVogrip is that the rubber is an insert underneath the plastic grip, and not about to peel off and leave bare plastic.

I think the Patagonian edition has the lock (S18). In retrospect I wish I had bought the locking 18 since it is too thick for pocket carry anyway IMO.

My S18 is not a Patagonian, and it does have the lock.  I've seen red S18s for sale as well.  The "S" indicates a model with the locking blade.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:32:02 PM by jerseydevil »
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline digitaldave

Thanks for the replies.

The two yellow ones I'm looking at are:

http://www.heinnie.com/Wenger-Knives/Evo-Range-Knives/Evo-Grip-18-Yellow/p-202-349-3180/

and

http://www.heinnie.com/Wenger-Knives/Evo-Range-Knives/Patagonia-P18/p-202-349-6425/

It doesn't look like either is a looking version, which is ok as I don't want a lock. Of course I might just end up getting a different model with fewer tools, but I want to make sure I understand what's going on with these ;).

Thanks,

Dave.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Dave,

My understanding is that any Wenger with the yellow scales is a Patagonia Race model.  I think you're correct about neither of the models you posted links for having locks, but I'd wager that's because you're in the UK.  They're probably special version made for sale in places where locking blades are prohibited.

I have a yellow Ranger 179 with the grip handles, and while it's a different beast, the construction of the scales is pretty much the same.  I like the added feel it gives, but I don't think it's a whole lot more than the regular Evo scales.  Except for the grip surface on the scales, they're identical to the standard Evo models.

You might want to also look at one of the model 16's... same thing as an 18, but no saw.

Wenger has really been upping their game the past few years, and I think they're now a legitimate contender with Victorinox for high quality SAK's.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Wenger has really been upping their game the past few years, and I think they're now a legitimate contender with Victorinox for high quality SAK's.

I agree with your last comment 100%.
I do actually prefer the Wengers over Victorinox.

I now have several wenger models, favourite being the S557, it is fantastic but slightly too thick for EDC as well as being illegal here in the UK due to the locking main blade. I did EDC the Evo16 for a while, but the back spring philips was just infuriating - It never managed to get me out of trouble, I always ended up going back to the van for a real screwdriver.
I'm now back to my ancient Explorer.

NOTE TO SELF :- Back spring philips are truly useless.

I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

• No Life Club

I agree with your last comment 100%.
I do actually prefer the Wengers over Victorinox.

I now have several wenger models, favourite being the S557, it is fantastic but slightly too thick for EDC as well as being illegal here in the UK due to the locking main blade. I did EDC the Evo16 for a while, but the back spring philips was just infuriating - It never managed to get me out of trouble, I always ended up going back to the van for a real screwdriver.
I'm now back to my ancient Explorer.

NOTE TO SELF :- Back spring philips are truly useless.
I really find no use at all in the backside phillips drivers...  they're an exercise in frustration in my opinion.   :rant:

I do a lot of walking, hiking, camping, and cycling, and while I can't remember the last time I used a SAK corkscrew to actually open a bottle of wine (though I actually have), they're very helpful for undoing knotted laces and untangling cord.  (I've found they can be damaging on para-cord though.)  While a real marlin spike would be better, I'd rather have a SAK corkscrew than nothing at all!

I've got an S16, S17, and S557 on my wish list!  Someday...   :angel:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

se Offline kinskibrain

Dave,

My understanding is that any Wenger with the yellow scales is a Patagonia Race model.  I think you're correct about neither of the models you posted links for having locks, but I'd wager that's because you're in the UK.  They're probably special version made for sale in places where locking blades are prohibited.

In Europe there are yellow models as well as the Patagonian edition. I have a yellow Evogrip 18 as I first thought the "S" lock mechanism to be too protrusive.

se Offline kinskibrain

The two yellow ones I'm looking at are:

The Patagonian should have the lock although I can't see it on that Heinnie pic. It says in the text that it is the S18 and the "S" indicates the lock.

A tip: I usually by my Wenger knives from german Amazon.de. You can get some good prices and shipping is not much (at least to Sweden). I use the auto page translation function in Google Chrome to find my way around the page.

Yellow Rangergrip 79 for 34.90 Euro (around 28£). In the text is says 'orange' but I think that is just a mistake. I have been doing some research since last night and in some stock pictures the yellow scales have that more reddish warm tint but I don't think it's a different colour, just different photographs.
http://www.amazon.de/Wenger-Original-Schweizer-Einhandmesser-RangerGrip/dp/B004J96XCC/ref=sr_1_6?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1342165727&sr=1-6

Here is the S18 PER for a similar price
http://www.amazon.de/Wenger-Evo-Grip-Taschenmesser-gelb/dp/B003BQLR66/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1342168179&sr=1-1

Personally I prefer the red Evogrips but the yellow scales actually work! I hike a lot and the yellow scales makes it very easy to see the knife. It also gives it a more 'outdoorsy' feel.

I agree with other posters and find a corkscrew a lot more useful than the philips in that position. I drink wine quite often though  :)

de Offline Storky

• A happy fart never comes from a miserable ass.
I own Wengers with classic scales, some with Evo scales
and with EvoGrip.
For me the EvoGrip is the best choice!
The Wenger 17 and 18 are truelly winners, but if the more
of weight and size does not matter than the S557 is my
suggestion.
Well in GB the lock would be a problem, so go for the yellow
Wenger 18  :tu:

Best regards.

Markus

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Wengers - evo vs evo grip, and Patagonian vs regular, yellow
Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 01:47:18 PM
Dave,

My understanding is that any Wenger with the yellow scales is a Patagonia Race model.

Wenger made  yellow saks for the US and Europe that are not Patagonia race models.  I will try to get a pic of my s18 up later.

As far as the scales go, evogrips are the way to go.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 02:01:48 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline digitaldave

Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 10:08:47 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I've been looking at the sizes, it looks like the Evogrip 18 is a similar weight and thickness as the Victorinox Huntsman (which I already own) - can anyone confirm this?

I've also been looking at the Evogrip 14, as I don't really need the saw if I'm being honest ;). Plus it's thinner and lighter. The downside is it doesn't come in the yellow, which I quite like and was what drew me to the 18 in the first place.

Hmm... Decisions....

And don't just say "buy both"! >:D

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 11:38:30 PM
Dave,

My understanding is that any Wenger with the yellow scales is a Patagonia Race model.

Wenger made  yellow saks for the US and Europe that are not Patagonia race models.  I will try to get a pic of my s18 up later.

As far as the scales go, evogrips are the way to go.

Good to know.  It seems to me that (at least here in the US), there's a bit of a mark-up in price for the PER models, even though they're functionally identical to the EvoGrip models.   :rant:  I really like the yellow scales, but I'm honestly not willing to pay the premium for them.  From what I've seen, an S17 is a good $20 less than an S18 for almost exactly the same knife, except for the scales and the backside corkscrew instead of the phillips..

se Offline kinskibrain

Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 12:20:15 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

I've been looking at the sizes, it looks like the Evogrip 18 is a similar weight and thickness as the Victorinox Huntsman (which I already own) - can anyone confirm this?

I've also been looking at the Evogrip 14, as I don't really need the saw if I'm being honest ;). Plus it's thinner and lighter. The downside is it doesn't come in the yellow, which I quite like and was what drew me to the 18 in the first place.

Hmm... Decisions....

And don't just say "buy both"! >:D

Get the PER S16. It has the yellow colour but not the saw. To be honest I find the saw on my 18 a bit on the small side. The Huntsman is little longer. As far as thickness is concerned I am not sure. The Evoscales are thicker than standard red SAK scales but I think the Wenger layers are a little thinner. Anyway I'd get the S16 and possible a PER Rangergrip to complete the kit.

http://www.amazon.de/Wenger-EvoGrip-S16-PER/dp/B007UVVAXS/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342217956&sr=8-2-fkmr1

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 01:23:28 AM
To be honest I find the saw on my 18 a bit on the small side.

I feel exactly the same way.  I find little usefulness in the saw on any small SAK, Vic or Wenger. 

The only thing I've found them truly useful for so far is cutting the notch into the hearth-board to catch the embers made when using a fire bow or hand-drill.  Much easier and more efficient than trying to carve one with just a knife blade.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 05:11:33 AM
I must be odd man out. For a 85 mm, I think it does good. Making staffs, cutting small branches, pvp pipe, black plastic pipe. Not as fast a 91mm sak or a Lm Wave, but still pretty good.
Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 08:33:13 AM
The usefulness of the "grip" model entirely depends on how you hold your knife. If you hold it in saber grip then you won't ever touch them, but with pinch grip they are somewhat useful.

gb Offline digitaldave

Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 07:45:42 PM
I've managed to find a store that's not too far away that sells Wengers, and I think they may have the yellow 18, plus they are open tomorrow, so I'll pop along to have a look. If I like the look of the yellow enough, I may overlook the fact that I don't really need the saw...

gb Offline digitaldave

Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 03:02:12 PM
If anyone is still following this ;), I bought the yellow Evogrip 18, mainly because the saw doesn't add that much over something like the 14 that doesn't have the saw. And the yellow looks cool!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 03:16:10 PM
Saws are always useful - lets see some pics of your new Wenger - I'm (im)patiently waiting for my minigrip to come back from Wenger on a warranty repair - the 4-6 weeks ended this week.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline digitaldave

Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 04:06:39 PM
Here's some pics:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 04:10:29 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: July 16, 2012, 02:20:08 AM
Nice! Good choose.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #23 on: July 16, 2012, 02:28:06 AM
Very nice knife.  :tu:  My S18 sees a fair amount of pocket time.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

se Offline kinskibrain

Reply #24 on: July 16, 2012, 03:47:19 PM
Here's some pics:

:tu: So what are your thoughts on the ergonomics et cetera now that you have it?

gb Offline digitaldave

Reply #25 on: July 16, 2012, 09:16:33 PM
:tu: So what are your thoughts on the ergonomics et cetera now that you have it?

I like the evogrip, I'm glad I went for it over the regular version.

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 21, 2012, 07:42:34 AM
Nice!   :tu:

I too, love those yellow scales...  I'd love to have an S18, but I haven't found the regular 18 or 16 in yellow anywhere here in the states, even online, only the PER versions.  I don't like the yellow enough to pay the approximately $20 premium for a PER compared to a regular evo model.

gb Offline digitaldave

Reply #27 on: July 21, 2012, 03:21:19 PM
One thing I really like on the Wenger is the position of the tweezers and tooth pick - putting them on the inside of the scales is a really good idea I think.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%