Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your least favorite SAK?

us Offline bushidomosquito

on: July 14, 2012, 03:18:18 AM
For me it's those 108mm monstrosities. I just can't stand to look at them. Bottle opener on the end of a saw (WTSmurf is up with that?), crummy looking plastic scales and the worst tool selection. Gaaah!

But they more than make up for those with their other stuff.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 03:43:59 AM
Least favorite is the classic. It's just to small unless you have miniature fingers IMO.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Re: What's your least favorite SAK?
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 04:07:22 AM
Least favorite is the classic. It's just to small unless you have miniature fingers IMO.
Yup... anything 58 mm, with the exception of the combo tool.  But, even that needs to be sized up for the 74 mm models...
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 04:22:14 AM
Probably partly because I have ape size hands, but I can't use anything smaller than the 84mm size, so I have little interest in the tiny 58s. I do own one, the manager which is decent, but its just too small for me.  Also since im an ebay searcher of bargains, the 58 classic is littered throughout ebay and Im just tired of see them paired with knives I actually want, just so sellers can get rid of the things.  Soo... 58s... ya.. no use for them personally.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 04:25:50 AM
Another 'NO' vote for the 58mm. I have a 65mm Pocket Tool Chest I carry on occasions where anything larger might be too much, but normally prefer the 85mms and 91mms.

Karl

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 05:35:01 AM
While I have no great love for the 58s, my true loathing is for the 74s. They have the same slender, thin, fragile blade as the 58s, but even more leverage to snap it with. The ratios are all wrong, not only aesthetically but also ergonomically.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline austin83

Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 07:56:01 AM
The BSA Explorer.  I really get tired of searching eBay for an original Yeoman, and finding the BSA Explorer which they named a Yeoman. Anyone who has looked for a true Yeoman on eBay knows my frustration

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 08:50:18 AM
At the moment i'm going to have to say the Pocket Pal.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 10:49:02 AM
I'm surprised that so many dislike the 58s. It's like a little pocket back up gun. Not to be relied upon by itself but small enough to always have on you and much better than nothing in a pinch.

I use a blue Classic for a zipper pull on the inside pocket of my winter coat. There's so many places you can stash those little things and never know you have it until you need it.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

england Offline macabee

Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 04:28:31 PM
SAK's with a shackle [bail] a real love hate thing with me as I have managed twice :facepalm: to damage the blade with it. Grrrrrrr :ahhh
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 04:35:42 PM
SAK's with a shackle [bail] a real love hate thing with me as I have managed twice :facepalm: to damage the blade with it. Grrrrrrr :ahhh

I bought one bail model to try out and I agree, but they come off easily and I like the hollow pivot look much better.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline cannonball

Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 05:01:55 PM
Alox solo. For a little more thickness you can have a Pioneer or Soldier. If they are still to large, a Cadet should do. These give many more tools than just a blade.

nl Offline Waterlander

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too..
Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 05:28:38 PM
My least favorite is the one in my pocket: Victorinox Compact.
Why? It does not even have a decent nailcleaner/file, nor an awl.
Main reason: for a compact SAK it should be 84mm. Victorinox wake up! :rant:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:32:37 PM by Waterlander »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 05:37:46 PM
Skipper

Even though I've modded the blade to non-locking (I really didn't like that lock) there's something not quite right about it all  :think:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nl Offline Waterlander

Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 05:43:09 PM

I bought one bail model to try out and I agree, but they come off easily and I like the hollow pivot look much better.

For looks I quite like them both, a keyring just looks cheap to me.
Unfortunately the hollow rivet on alox is not nearly big enough to put a lanyard through.

For me it's those 108mm monstrosities. I just can't stand to look at them. Bottle opener on the end of a saw (WTSmurf is up with that?), crummy looking plastic scales and the worst tool selection. Gaaah!

But they more than make up for those with their other stuff.

On the 108mm models the lanyard hole is just right for paracord. They are ugly as hell, scales look cheap, but build like a tank. Sizewise and handle shape great for a hard using pocketknife if you ask me (besides the corkscrew). It's one of those knives you start to trust and appreciate by use, like a Mora. I wish Victorinox made more setups on this frame. Or a modder in da house..Modified Mauser..hmm..I see some alox competition here! :pok:
BTW, it's not just a bottle opener, it's a tincan opener too. Truely a combo tool, and I don't like it either :D eating up my precious saw blade (aggressive cutting, scary sharp teeth, a ripper!)
Mauser.jpg
* Mauser.jpg (Filesize: 78.48 KB)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 06:29:01 PM by Waterlander »

hu Offline borgwarrior

• Wait,what?
Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 09:58:39 PM
Least favourite is the old GAK. Only 'cause I can't find any NIB pieces to buy... :facepalm:
Small collection of SAK's, (but growing rapidly. :D) not so fast at this time. :( And the most important of all: Ze Zuper Zoldier by Steve!  :ahhh
Wishlist for 2014: Rangergrip 88, Victorinox: CT41, Spirit X BO CC, Swisstool X BO, Some limited Alox stuffs and so on

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 10:32:02 PM
58's for me. Too small to use except for an emergency. Wife calls them girly knives. She has one in purse.

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 10:45:04 PM
I agree about the lack of a real nail file on the Compact; the one on the back of the parcel hook just doesn't cut the mustard.

The awl/reamer is no big deal for me; I rarely use one.  Otherwise, I like the Compact just fine. 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #18 on: July 15, 2012, 01:23:28 AM
I agree about the lack of a real nail file on the Compact; the one on the back of the parcel hook just doesn't cut the mustard.

The awl/reamer is no big deal for me; I rarely use one.  Otherwise, I like the Compact just fine.

A real nail file would make the Compact just about perfect.  Even without it though, it still sees a lot of pocket time.  58mms, on the other hand, are pretty much useless to me.  I much prefer a 74 like the Executive.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline austin83

Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 02:03:31 AM
If the Compact had some sort of phillips driver on it then it would be the perfect knife.  I need something for phillips screws.

nl Offline Waterlander

Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 09:22:57 AM
If the Compact had some sort of phillips driver on it then it would be the perfect knife.  I need something for phillips screws.

Try finding the B+ Yeoman. Basicly a 3 layer Compact with added inline phillips and magnifier.

Ofcourse the Compact is not my least favorite. I really like 2 layers. But it could be perfect in 84mm and that is a pity. (Sportsman-with-scissors is what I want).

I'm switching to the 3 layer Trailmaster. It's a Compact with file!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 09:28:15 AM by Waterlander »

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 12:08:39 PM

Like this?  :)

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=DofE+Pocket+Tool

Don't know how common they are in the US. Tim (felinevet) could probably help though.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:19:43 PM by Craig »
Prone to daydreaming.

us Offline Grateful

Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 12:20:52 PM
 Wenger's with a corkscrew instead of a phillips. Unless
they have a in-line phillips driver.
Jim

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 15, 2012, 04:45:25 PM
my least favorite SAKs are the cheap Chinese fakes.

gr Offline Aleister

Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 05:56:12 PM
Pioneer, or at least my Pioneer. Why? Because it doesn't have a ring and the only way I carry SAKs is hanged in pocket by a split ring, no deep carry and no sheaths. So, I can't carry it the way I want :-\

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #25 on: July 15, 2012, 06:35:37 PM
My least favourite is that big Wenger - if I had a pound for each time I've put my back out EDC'ing it, I have enough to buy a much smaller SAK. :whistle:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: July 15, 2012, 09:12:12 PM
111mil range!Just cant carry them cos they lock!Also locking Wenger Scout models!Could be a great EDC but for that lock!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 07:47:29 AM

Like this?  :)

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=DofE+Pocket+Tool

Don't know how common they are in the US. Tim (felinevet) could probably help though.
Backside phillips drivers are an exercise in frustration IMHO.  Much rather have a corkscrew and an in-line phillips, like on the Explorer.

Once I can finally get my hands on some brass rod stock that's the right diameter, I'm going to pull apart an old CT 34 I have sitting around, and add the bit driver layer to my Compact.  That will be a pretty sweet pocket EDC...   :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%