Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New military victorinox

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
New military victorinox
on: June 25, 2012, 10:24:51 PM
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Re: New military victorinox
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 02:03:08 AM
Very cool, I like it.
T

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 02:24:28 AM
I'd love me the bottom one but with those black scales. Those look great. :tu:

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 02:35:59 AM
Too bad the bottom one (with scissors) has the smaller, not lockable, large flat screwdriver.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 08:22:56 AM
They look pretty good :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 01:56:31 PM
Nice... but I'd lose them straight away :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 02:01:46 PM
So the bottom one must be side lock or no lock. Only the top one appears to be liner lock.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 04:43:31 PM
So the bottom one must be side lock or no lock. Only the top one appears to be liner lock.

Correct, also there are no 111mm models with liner lock & scissors, if I'm not mistaken.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 08:25:38 PM
The scales colour on the Trekker also looks new; black with green. But the million dollar question is can we get one!!!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

de Offline duder

Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 08:44:09 PM
I`m afraid no, as far as I know these are just prototypes.
Do I get a million dollars now ?  :D

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 09:39:48 PM
The one on the bottom is a slightly modified Outrider; the Phillips driver on the back is a corkscrew on the Outrider. 

To my knowledge there is no OHO 111 mm model with scissors.  I would love to know if the scissors/small Phillips layer from an Outrider or Work Champ could be put in something like a Soldier, OHT, or a OH Forester.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 10:46:25 PM
A little bird told me that scissors won't work on a liner lock model without modification (read: enlarging the mounting hole the rivet goes through). Why the liner lock 111mm have this reduced set of tools available compared with the side lock/no lock 111mm, perhaps comparable with 91mm versus 93mm.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 12:16:16 AM
Once again Victorinox produces a tool that's.............. a compromise !!!!!

Why don't they stop being so bloody arrogant and give us - the paying customer - what we really want.   :rant:

I want a Juice szed Spirit
I want a Farmer with both scissors and inline philips
I'd like a RangerGrip style  SAK  that's legal for UK EDC
Etc Etc Etc.....

It's such a shame they now own Wenger - who to my mind, were far more innovative.
You almost get the impression the mighty Vic has grown to BIG for his boots!

Deep Rumbing Bellow 

" You'll have it like this, or not at all "
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:10:03 AM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 12:38:02 AM
Oh nice find!  Let's hope they sign a new contract for these and someone is able to get us some.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 06:24:18 PM
It's such a shame they now own Wenger - who to my mind, were far more innovative.
You almost get the impression the mighty Vic has grown to BIG for his boots!

As a good Vic fanboy, I respectfully disagree.

Grown? They have rather shrunk. Buying Wenger was a bail-out of a bankrupt company to save the brand from becoming a knock-off and thus diluting Victorinox' own brand, it was not a growth strategy. It was the first time ever Victorinox went into debt, AFAIK. After 9/11 30% of their revenue disappeared pretty much overnight, but they didn't fire a single person. Wenger is still run as an independent company AFAIK, so it is not obvious whether the new ownership has been a hindrance for innovation and oddball designs.

The reason "all" the designs are compromises are probably boring and economic, just like the thinner blades, the weaker scales, etc, and looking at the shrinking selection, I guess the 93 mm line is nearing the end of the line too. Also, multitools are compromises by nature, and most buyers aren't enthusiasts, like us, they're people who probably aren't even interested in knives. From threads here we see the idea of what the ideal multitool is like vary extremely, just within this self-selected pool of people.

Military/LEO/etc knives like those in the original post are what the customer requests from the options Vic presents, not what designed by Vic to meet the needs of the enthusiast market.

To cut it short: You obviously don't like Victorinox' direction (as I mentioned, I'm not too keen on much of it myself), but I'd rather have Victorinox be run competently and last in the centuries to come than go out in a blaze of wonderful designs that weren't what the customer ordered or too expensive to compete.

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 06:52:32 PM
Steinar, I think you hit the nail right on the head...

I'd say I'm a Vic fanboy too, although I have become more interested and impressed with Wenger's products myself.

That said, I certainly can see where Vic could take a page or two from Wenger's book.  For one, the scissors; I find the Wenger scissors to be superior to Vic scissors.  Not just in terms of the spring mechanism, but also the edging.  Aside from the "self sharpening" serrated edges the Wenger scissors have, their edges are also straight.  Vic scissors (as nice as they are) are slightly curved.  So when the scissors of one of my Vics get dull, sharpening them is a bit of a PITA because I end up having to reprofile the edges.  I also find that after doing so, they tend to stay sharper longer.

I'd also love to see Vic take the locking blade design from the 84 mm S models and put it in their 91 mm models.  Or even the push button release of the liner lock that's on the Rangers.

I've been fighting with myself over getting a PER S16... It looks like a great little knife, and Smaug's review of it really has tempted me even more...  I keep telling myself I don't need another SAK!   :facepalm:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 08:56:55 PM

To cut it short: You obviously don't like Victorinox' direction (as I mentioned, I'm not too keen on much of it myself), but I'd rather have Victorinox be run competently and last in the centuries to come than go out in a blaze of wonderful designs that weren't what the customer ordered or too expensive to compete.

Actually Steinar

I do like victorinox - certainly hope so, given that i've got possibly 20 or so of their SAKs (minute collection I agree).
But, lets not be coy, I'm pretty sure Vic are right on the ball of what would be a "Clear  Winner" allround.
I suspect the real reason is more to do with following the advice of so called ""Marketing Strategists".

Why. when you have had the playing field all to yourself, along comes young Tim with a radical design concept of an All-In-One  pocket tool, would you sit there and watch.
It doesn't make sense.
The clever swiss more or less had that market to themselves prior to the multitool explosion - there cannot be many who have had more experiance in that area than both Wenger and Victorinox. But yet, they simply stepped aside and let the BIG three monopolise the multitool market. And now as the big guns battle it out for supremacy, Vic' seems to have all but lost interest.

I really don't get it - the brand name itself is renowned throughout the world. The almost mythical swiss cross is synominous with unriveled precision, workmanship and absolute quality, even amongst the very elite brand names - and not just in pocketknives.
But, they simply refuse to give what the modern consumer wants - which I might add is a very different consumer to that of 10 or so years ago.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:49:38 PM by tosh »
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 12:36:06 AM
Why can't the Philippine military issue cool knives the Malaysia? :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline Currahee

• Merely a figbar of your immigration.
Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 06:41:28 AM
  I keep telling myself I don't need another SAK!   :facepalm:

That's crazy talk, Heinz! Go to your room! :pok:
Shoot low, they might be crawlin'

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 07:41:06 AM
  I keep telling myself I don't need another SAK!   :facepalm:

That's crazy talk, Heinz! Go to your room! :pok:
No, no, no... I don't have to... I just got a new one yesterday... a pre '05 Explorer in a trade with Lynn.  And, I have a standard 111 mm Hunter on the way that should be here tomorrow...
 :whistle:

Offline silentio

Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 04:35:55 PM
Nice. I hope these get made. I'll be making a few calls to my friends in Malaysia if so.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 02:22:20 AM
I wonder if Felinevet has an FVEAP branch office in Maylaysia? :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%