Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Vic Cadet Bottle Opener Design

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
New Vic Cadet Bottle Opener Design
on: July 10, 2012, 02:27:35 PM
Has anyone noticed the new design of the bottle opener on the newer Cadets? It's on the ones that have the half stop (we knew about the addition of the backstop a few months back, right?). This is a comparison between the 53044 (with half stop) and the 53042

The back portion of the bottle opener is shorter on the 53044.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: New Vic Cadet Bottle Opener Design
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 02:43:47 PM
Wow well spotted, I hadn't noticed, but now I'll have to check mine.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 04:18:59 PM
Confirmed. Well spotted.

Although I bought it recently, the red one wasn't one of the new coloured cadets with the sheath so I assumed it part of the same batch as the green one. Red has half stop, green doesn't. Green opener looks exactly the same as the Cadet II's.

Red one's number is 53043.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 04:27:29 PM by user24 »
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 12:43:30 AM
Great pic User24, it really shows the difference. Can someone of the guys that bought the new ones with the sheath check if they have this kind of bottle opener as well?

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 08:19:36 AM
Great pic User24, it really shows the difference. Can someone of the guys that bought the new ones with the sheath check if they have this kind of bottle opener as well?
I just checked and the new wo/ keyring ones with the sheath have the design change and the 1/2 stop.  Probably safe to say that this change happened with the addition of the 1/2 stop.

I didn't check the new 2012 black or red cadet runs with the keyring because Vic here is now using new sealed boxes and I didn't want to open one right now.  I'm guessing User24's must be one of the new Red cadets, since it was a recent purchase and has the 1/2 stop.

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 10:13:14 AM
I didn't check the new 2012 black or red cadet runs with the keyring because Vic here is now using new sealed boxes and I didn't want to open one right now.  I'm guessing User24's must be one of the new Red cadets, since it was a recent purchase and has the 1/2 stop.

I'm pretty sure it is one of those. Square cross section silver box and 53043 model number on the sticker.
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:21:57 PM
I broke down 4 regular silver cadets today and they were all the half stop type. 

Here's a picture of the new layer vs the old layer.  The spring is very different.  The length from the pivot center to opener tip is exactly the same comparing old and new however.  Note the pivots hole sizes are larger on the bottom layer since I've already drilled these out for a mod.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 10:27:49 PM
The spring is very different.  The length from the pivot center to opener tip is exactly the same comparing old and new however. 

OK, I understand the design of the bottle opener side of the backspring, but what's the point of the cut out on the can opener side?  :think:

Note the pivots hole sizes are larger on the bottom layer since I've already drilled these out for a mod.

A 84mm mod you say , I thought you don't do those. Tell us more. :popcorn:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 10:49:07 PM
The spring is very different.  The length from the pivot center to opener tip is exactly the same comparing old and new however. 

OK, I understand the design of the bottle opener side of the backspring, but what's the point of the cut out on the can opener side?  :think:

Note the pivots hole sizes are larger on the bottom layer since I've already drilled these out for a mod.

A 84mm mod you say (Image removed from quote.), I thought you don't do those. Tell us more. :popcorn:

I'm not quite sure the logic in the spring design, unless its to save a very tiny bit of metal?   :think:

I got more interested in alox cadet modding lately so I'm putting together a bunch of cadets with scissors and bantoms with scissors.  I have some HA 84mm scales in red and black to test out, and some stock Vic orange.  Im also testing to see if I can fit 91mm saw layers to make a super compact 4 layer.  :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 10:55:40 PM
Sounds interesting, will be waiting for that thread. :gimme: What are you using for the 84mm scissor backspring? 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:57:29 PM by enki_ck »

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 04:42:19 AM
I'm not quite sure the logic in the spring design, unless its to save a very tiny bit of metal?   :think:
Looks like no more modifying the can-opener to a long screwdriver without leaving the hook/catch in place or the tool will drop into the knife like some of the cellidor models.

....  so I'm putting together a bunch of cadets with scissors and bantoms with scissors.  I have some HA 84mm scales in red and black to test out, .... :D

Sign me up!!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 05:21:39 AM
Sounds interesting, will be waiting for that thread. :gimme: What are you using for the 84mm scissor backspring?

91 mm old school backsprings before the hook was added, can be cut down to work.  Ive got the cut process a bit more refined than my first try, and once they are sanded and polished up, I think they should look just fine. 

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 08:31:12 PM
I finally had a chance to put these modified 91's on an 84 frame and posted a bunch of pix in my mod thread.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,34772.msg623575.html#msg623575

I wont tell you how many sets of scissors I ruined with 'practice' runs, but I have it dialed in now. :D

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 08:36:45 PM by Syph007 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20