Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox service with discontinued models.

us Offline Gulfport

• New User
Victorinox service with discontinued models.
on: July 23, 2012, 01:53:13 AM
I am a newbie, and I did use the search, but I was unable to find what I was looking for.  My Vic Scientist is showing signs of corrosion (maybe?) on the edge of the liners  I would like to send it to Victorinox to see if they would replace the liners, but I'm unsure if they would even work on it due to it being discontinued.  I've heard great things about their service, but this knife has always been of my favorites, and I am obviously not interested in receiving a new Explorer instead.  Does anyone here have any experience with Victorinox repairing any discontinued models?  Great forum, thank you.

Gulfport

us Offline austin83

Re: Victorinox service with discontinued models.
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 02:37:55 AM
I just bought a scientist that has a couple small dark corrosion areas.  I have no intentions of fixing them, but I'll keep them oiled.  I do not have any experience though with their warranty service.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 12:10:11 PM
I have sent a few Vics to service in Ibach myself - It seems they will replace current models but repair old ones, especially if you point out teh sentimental value.

Not sure if they always do or if it depends on teh state of teh knife or teh mood teh Swiss man is in when unwrapping your knife.

au Offline T.J. Hooker

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 01:06:01 PM
I got a old 84 mm knife with a bail.
Its a large one(file, scissors,saw plus the usual).

The liners have all broken. All in the same place. The cracks go from bottom to almost top.

I hope it does not break any further.

If I send it to Victorinox Switzerland will they fix it or send me a new knife?

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 03:11:25 AM
Swiss Army (Victorinox) USA will not repair discontinued or older models. They will send you a new replacement knife as close to your model as possible. Switzerland will sometimes repair but not always.
T

us Offline Prof. Gadget

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 02:40:04 PM
 :ahhh I bought an old Vic Mechanic at a flee market, the tip of the large blade was broken and the small blade was bent, it  also  looked like it was dipped in molasses. I sent it to Vic USA along with  $5. They repaired the knife and put new handles on it all under warrenty. I now have a great user to stick in my pocket or knife pouch. I am very well satisfied with their work.      Prof. Gadget
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:43:14 PM by Prof. Gadget »

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 03:34:25 PM
I remember a somewhat older video in which they showed a workshop at the Victorinox factory where older, discontinued knives were being repaired. I don't remember where I saw it though :think:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 08:52:54 PM
I sent to Victorinox Canada recently for repair (scissors broken) a pre-2005 (2000, to be more exact) SwissChamp, asking for some parts to ke kept if possible (which they did). They repaired it - replaced the scissors, the liners (not all) and some secondary tools (keeping all the tools I asked to remain, including main blade, metal saw, mag glass, Phillips) and some backsprings as well, plus new cellidor scales. However I wish they did not change that many parts... the new (may have been the wrong one even, not sure) backspring for the older style main blade made it rest on metal when closed, the new divider (liner) between the main blade and the metal saw was thinner and more open, appropriate with the new SS saw but not as much with the older saw this SAK had (resulting in an apparent unused 'hole' between the layers), and to top it off, one of the exterior liners was bent, probably in the process of trying to fit it all together. So they may repair old (cellidor) models as long as have similar parts in stock but the fit may be not that great in the end (not like new). I do not think they repair alox or wood/horn scaled SAKs here but maybe send them to Switzerland.

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 01:29:03 AM
Well in my case i have send to Switzerland 3 Sak's for repair.
One of them was old (1950-1960) and they repaired it like i told them.
(The inner spring was broken but i didn't want to change any of the tools.)
Also they repair a old explorer with exactly an old magnifying glass,excellent job. :tu:
I didn't payed anything for the repairs and also for the shipping.
But a few months ago i have contact them again for some Sak's that i want to fix,
and the write to me that for old Sak's from now on they will charge a few bucks because they
employed only one qualified service technician for the repairs of old knives. :-[
If you want i can give you the email of Ms Marlies Stadler which is responsible for the customers.
But don't forget to send them a mail (if possible with photos) and write to them exactly what you want.
 :tool:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 01:36:49 AM by MARIOS7319 »

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 01:32:30 AM
When I was at one of those Vic road tour (with their airstream wagon) someone brought in a knife with beat up main blade. The rep said they can replace it easily by cut the pin and put a new one in, but he doesn't have the tool there to do it. So I guess they will replace the blade but not other tools.

nl Offline Waterlander

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too..
Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 06:31:52 PM
If you want i can give you the email of Ms Marlies Stadler which is responsible for the customers.
But don't forget to send them a mail (if possible with photos) and write to them exactly what you want.

Hey mate, could you pls send me that email adress of Ms Stadler?

I have an old Victoria Armee Suisse from the '50s (with bail and rivets), but I'm hesitating if I should send it in for repairs to Ibach. It has been in my familie ever since, it is very VERY special to me as you can imagine.

All the tools are working well, but it is missing the original scales. Years ago I removed the old broken scales and replaced them for wood (see picture). I'm not happy with it. I would LOVE it if it could be brought back in original condition. Can this be done?? Any information on the matter much appreciated!
IMG_0613 (Medium).JPG
* IMG_0613 (Medium).JPG (Filesize: 86.79 KB)

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 09:14:08 PM
I have an old Victoria Armee Suisse from the '50s (with bail and rivets), but I'm hesitating if I should send it in for repairs to Ibach. It has been in my familie ever since, it is very VERY special to me as you can imagine.

My personal advice would be to not send it. I'd either keep as-is, for its emotional value, or find better made custom scales for it if you want to use it and you are not happy with the current ones.

nl Offline Waterlander

Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 07:58:59 AM
Thanks for your advice, Marius. I might write an email to Ibach and just ask.
I can't imagine they have vintage cellidor or rosewood scales laying around, but who knows..

Edit: how do you think pinned Sambar Stag would look?  ::)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 08:08:57 AM by Waterlander »

gr Offline MARIOS7319

Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 04:43:40 PM
I will agree with Marius (this time ! :D)
It's very nice, if i was you i will leave it as it is. ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 04:47:12 PM by MARIOS7319 »

gr Offline MARIOS7319

Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 04:49:11 PM

Hey mate, could you pls send me that email adress of Ms Stadler?

All the tools are working well, but it is missing the original scales. Years ago I removed the old broken scales and replaced them for wood (see picture). I'm not happy with it. I would LOVE it if it could be brought back in original condition. Can this be done?? Any information on the matter much appreciated!

Here is her email: Marlis.Stadler@victorinox.ch
and the address to the factory of Victorinox is:

Victorinox AG
Attn. Mrs. Marlies Stadler
Schmiedgasse 57
CH-6438 Ibach-Schwyz
Switzerland

All the best
Marios

nl Offline Waterlander

Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 04:55:26 PM
Thanks for the contact adress, much appreciated!  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21