Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Problem Pioneer Pruner?

Offline knifewing

Problem Pioneer Pruner?
on: July 31, 2012, 12:02:42 AM
I recently purchased a new silver Alox Pioneer Pruner. I like everything about it EXCEPT when I open the pruning blade using the nail nick there's a "click" as the point of the hook blade seems to slide against the closed spearpoint blade. I'm new to the Alox models but I've never noticed anything like it on any other Victorinox knife I've ever had. Is this normal on a two-bladed Alox model to have this kind of sideways blade play/interaction? Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Re: Problem Pioneer Pruner?
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 01:44:09 AM
It is not normal IMO but not that unexpected. None of my Pruners do this but there is not much play allowed there and I can see how it happen. When the pruning blade is slowly closing you should see its tip being about equally spaced between the alox scale and the main blade.

Is the main blade flush (from tang to tip) when closed with the scale on the other side? It may happen that your Pruner got a less twisted or heavier main blade, like the Solo has, not leaving sufficient room for the pruning blade.

Do you have a photo of your SAK with both blades closed, from above (spines)?

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 06:14:39 AM
I've had a few that did that but they were bought for mod parts so it didn't bug me too much. They stamp a bend in those pruner blades like they do for the main blades to make them close up a bit diagonally and clear the neighbor blade but if the angle of that bend is off they will rub. Once I put them back together in mods I was able to clamp the pruner in a padded vice and tweak them a little at a time until they cleared everything. That's what I like about Vic blades, hard enough to hold an edge but still soft enough to grind, sharpen and tweak when you need to.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

Offline knifewing

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 07:43:24 AM
Thank you both for your input. I checked as you suggested and, sure enough, the pruning blade not only was too close to the main blade (compared to being centered between the main blade and the scale) but its tip actually slightly touches the main blade when closing slowly. Luckily, I can still return it and hopefully find another one that's better.

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 07:45:09 PM
I have experienced this with the pruning blade on two Pioneer Ranchers. The first I returned, but the second had the same problem. Less pronounced (the first rubbed enough that it was difficult to open), but still present. :-\ I'll be interested to see if your replacement is any better.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD