Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

U.K SAK fans...

us Offline bushidomosquito

U.K SAK fans...
on: July 31, 2012, 04:54:07 AM
What do you think about a 111mm one hander with no lock?

After I finished the Orange Handle Titanium One Handed Trekker
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,39114.0.html
I was thinking that I never want to do another one again and it's all because of that silly unnecessary lock. It takes hours to cut that thick lock liner by hand and even if I had a laser doing it there would still have to be some time consuming hand fitting to each blade and screwdriver/opener. Plus there's the fact that the locks work the wrong way which always bugs me. I may end up keeping that one if nobody want's to pay the $300 I've decided it's worth.

But I have G10 scales cut in textured orange, OD green, red and one set of carbon fiber that I'd like to use. I noticed that the main blade holds open just as tight as any 91 or 93mm SAK without the lock liner just from the backspring tension. Seems like a great option for anybody that lives where locking blades are not legal. I would also want to ad a liner between the saw and blade because it just seems like there should be one there but without that lock hassle I can have regular thin titanium liners laser cut and get the price down to $200 if there was enough interest in them.

So what do you think? I'll end up eventually finishing up the rest with the stock stainless lock liner because it is very well made and I think of it more as a stainless backspring now than a disposable liner but I wonder how many would like to carry a one eleven one hander if the lock legality weren't an issue.

Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: U.K SAK fans...
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 08:06:08 AM
It's a nice idea mate, but sadly it still wouldn't be a reason-free EDC knife.  To carry a knife in the UK, without a specific reason, it needs to be both non-locking and have a blade* of less than 3 inches.

*actually the law says "a cutting edge" but I'd not fancy my chances of winning that argument with a Policeman on the side of the road. ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 09:20:34 AM
Like Gareth sad it's a find idea, but our stupid laws wouldn't allow it :(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 09:51:41 AM
No problem. I'm assuming most would want the serrations taken off since, as The Phantom Limb says, "They're only good for bread". It won't take much to re-profile 1/4" off the tip of it. Here's a picture of an orange OHT that somebody had custom made with a re-profiled shorter blade, probably for the same reason.

U.K SAK fans...
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 11:34:44 AM
Sadly and rather stupidly the same would have to be done with the saw blade probably to comply with our moronic knife laws :(

Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 11:55:56 AM
Damn, now that is a good point. Longer saw is the best feature of the 111. Take that away and you might as well just have a Farmer. OK, looks like I'll be sticking to the stock stainless liner for this one.

U.K SAK fans...
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 12:00:25 PM
Sorry for being such a killjoy mate, the bloody laws over here are stupid as stupid can be IMO :(

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 12:20:12 PM
When I can justify carry of a locking blade, I still prefer not to. Locks are evil and have caused me more injuries than slippies. I'd love it if the larger SAKs and MTs had slippy blades, but I would not buy a custom G10/CF/Ti mod for the role.

If I was going to need and be justified in carrying something other than standard <3" slippy (work, boat, DIY, hiking, camping etc etc) it means I'm going to be using the tool in a way (or location/environment) that I would not be happy using an bespoke hand crafted tool. All my tools (even normal daily carry) get scratched to buggery and I such an item would just be wasted on me  :-\

I love to see your work Bushy, the craftsmanship looks sublime - but I personally can't justify the outlay for the way they will get treated, mate.  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 02:29:06 PM
When I can justify carry of a locking blade, I still prefer not to. Locks are evil and have caused me more injuries than slippies. I'd love it if the larger SAKs and MTs had slippy blades, but I would not buy a custom G10/CF/Ti mod for the role.

If I was going to need and be justified in carrying something other than standard <3" slippy (work, boat, DIY, hiking, camping etc etc) it means I'm going to be using the tool in a way (or location/environment) that I would not be happy using an bespoke hand crafted tool. All my tools (even normal daily carry) get scratched to buggery and I such an item would just be wasted on me  :-\

I love to see your work Bushy, the craftsmanship looks sublime - but I personally can't justify the outlay for the way they will get treated, mate.  :salute:

While I hope they will get treated better than the stock ones I do strive to build them tougher. Aluminum liners and injection molded plastic scales are tough enough but titanium and G10 or carbon fiber are much tougher. You may pop a brass rivet loose but you'd be hard pressed to snap a 1/8" stainless pin. Anybody that buys one of my mods can choose to make them a collection queen or light duty showoff carry or hard use them. They should perform better in any role than stock.

But thank you for the compliment. I know what you're getting at. I shoot pistols competitively and there are guys that will spend $5000 and more on crazy looking 1911s while I use a $500 Glock and do just fine. It's all about what tickles your fancy. 

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 02:39:33 PM
You got it mate  :tu: I'd never buy a Sebenza. Lovely looking knives, but my Byrd Tern can do the same job, and I don't feel bad if it picks up some marks of character along the way. I do appreciate the finer things in life, but generally I'd rather indulge myself in 10 £30 items, than one £300 item.  :D

There are others in the UK with more flambuoyant tastes though, so one might be along soon  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 08:28:26 PM
It's a nice idea mate, but sadly it still wouldn't be a reason-free EDC knife.  To carry a knife in the UK, without a specific reason, it needs to be both non-locking and have a blade* of less than 3 inches.

*actually the law says "a cutting edge" but I'd not fancy my chances of winning that argument with a Policeman on the side of the road. ;)

I kind of see the logic of the length, but not the lock. Are less than 3 inch fixed blades legal?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 08:45:18 PM
Ya the laws are silly.  Id probably get myself in trouble over there as I dont tend to follow laws I think are silly.

A pencil is pretty pointy and over 3 inch you know.. has anything thought of that?  Probably you will have to start having folding pencils instead of the current fixed pencils!!!!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 09:03:04 PM

I kind of see the logic of the length, but not the lock. Are less than 3 inch fixed blades legal?

Nope, not allowed to carry fixed blades without a good reason, no matter what the length. 

It is worth saying that we tend to use the terms "legal" and "illegal" a bit loosely.  There are very few knives that are actually illegal here, we are just restricted in what we can carry day-to-day without a very specific reason. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 02:59:07 AM

After I finished the Orange Handle Titanium One Handed Trekker
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,39114.0.html

Wow Nice!  Seems like you should adjust the profile of the lock-release as per the new slimmer profile that was debuted with the Hunter XT. 

You should be aware though the serrations are good for a lot more than bread, not that the convex edge is not a nice touch in itself.

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 03:44:33 AM
No problem. I'm assuming most would want the serrations taken off since, as The Phantom Limb says, "They're only good for bread". It won't take much to re-profile 1/4" off the tip of it. Here's a picture of an orange OHT that somebody had custom made with a re-profiled shorter blade, probably for the same reason.
(Image removed from quote.)

omg!!! why would someone do that to that poor trekker!!!  it looks  :ahhh and  :facepalm:

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 04:57:29 AM by Sidhartha »
custom swiss army knives

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 05:12:28 AM
Ignore
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 05:26:12 AM by ColoSwiss »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!