Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Surge scissors on OHT

ca Offline jpcote

Surge scissors on OHT
on: February 06, 2016, 04:12:56 PM
Hello mod squad,

So I got my OHT. Need scissors. Don’t need saw.

I intend to replace the OHT saw with scissors. I want the best scissors. Questions/help needed :

- Are the Surge scissors the best? How about Fiskars on Gerber in comparison…?

- Can someone please post measurements of the Surge scissors?

- Any idea how I could put my hands on these…?

Thanks!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Re: Surge scissors on OHT
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 06:46:15 PM
I don't have a Surge, but I will say this: the Surge scissors stow in the closed position, so as soon as they deploy they are ready to cut. Fiskar scissors stow in the all the way open position (180 degrees) so an additional step is needed before you start cutting. The Fiskar scissors are really good, though. The one's I have used are from the MP400/600 and the Flik. They both work equally well, but the Flik scissors have a bigger cutting area.

Probably the easiest way to get what you need is to just scour EvilBay (maybe pawnshops) for good deals on used tools, and then cannibalize them.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 07:27:30 PM
Hello mod squad,

So I got my OHT. Need scissors. Don’t need saw.

I intend to replace the OHT saw with scissors. I want the best scissors. Questions/help needed :

- Are the Surge scissors the best? How about Fiskars on Gerber in comparison…?

- Can someone please post measurements of the Surge scissors?

- Any idea how I could put my hands on these…?
Thanks!

Love Surge scissors! But if you use them a lot, the spring lock wears down. Give Loki-moble a shout. See if he has anything. http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,64314.0.html
Keep us posted! I just watched a video on the OHT and am drooling. I would most likely do the same thing and replace the saw with scissors.

ca Offline jpcote

Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 02:22:20 AM
Try out with scissors from an old Gerber I have. Thickness and hole are the same. But the tool design is on the opposite side. It doesn't lock when oppened, so it's a pain to use. Will keep looking.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 05:17:45 AM
G'Day,

I don't think that that will be a drop-in mod. The Surge scissors is quite a bit longer than the saw. If it fits in width wise, you will have to remove the opener in front of the saw to close it properly. OHT saw pivot to end is 7cm, Surge scissors pivot to end is 9cm.
A Wave / Charge scissors is only 6cm long, but the thumb press is a little to thick to fit inside the storage area. And it will need a modification to work with the different locking mechanism.

Cheers,

Pete

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 10:05:06 AM
It seems that lots of people use either Wingman- or Victorionox 91mm scissors when they are adding it to the Wave

Pretty good visual guide for Vic scissors into Wave
Easier approach by enki

Wingman scissors

Adding outboard scissors is pretty popular and there are many threads in the mod-section. Although I have never seen it done to a OHT you should find plenty of inspirations there (also you will see what hurdles you might encounter).
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%