Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Did one of you do it?

Ashley · 22 · 2935

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied

us Offline ColoSwiss

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Re: Did one of you do it?
Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 01:11:41 AM
As cool as the +B splash models are, I just can't justify spending that much for one, even to myself...  ::)

Now if Vic would make an Alox with scissors and an inline phillips layer like in the 111 mm models, I'd be all over it.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 05:34:19 PM
I consider them art. The scales are manually "painted" (anodized) by Swiss Bianco, each coming out unique, then they are sent to be assembled by Victorinox in Ibach. Personally until I got one myself I could not tell how really nice they can be - it's hard for photos to do them justice.

:cheers:
055_8172.JPG
* 055_8172.JPG (Filesize: 81.13 KB)

nl Offline Waterlander

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too..
Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 06:01:39 PM
I met Roger years ago in Nurnberg to go to the IWA.
We stayed in the same hotel. He unpacked his bags full of SAK's.
We had a good laugh when he showed his latest design "Splash".
They looked to me as if he spilled paint all over them!  :D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 06:59:36 PM
LOL ya that's what I thought when I saw the splash, they looked like factory errors like they weren't decreased well enough before anodize.  If its art then I guess the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  :D  I've never communicated with Roger ever, but I hear he hates modders, so I guess he already hates me anyhow.   :think:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 07:39:44 PM

Now if Vic would make an Alox with scissors and an inline phillips layer like in the 111 mm models, I'd be all over it.

It's always allowed to dream   :pok:   :D

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 07:54:30 PM
As cool as the +B splash models are, I just can't justify spending that much for one, even to myself...  ::)

I totally agree with Heinz,they look nice but they are overpriced and they haven't any collectible value.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 08:32:50 PM
For myself I prefer SAKs that I like, not necessarily that are currently perceived as having collectible value.

Why in my collection there are both rare vintage pieces and regular production, mundane items without any collectible value at all currently. Also why never I go for complete sets or series just for the sake of having them all.

Not everybody likes the +B Splash alox but they are very few and rare anyway and that leaves them just barely enough for the few folks that appreciate them. Heck, I used to not like them as well until I got this little one and let me tell you, for me it is the nicest alox MC that I have so far.

Without this little of splash alox there would be overall either less alox or more plain silver alox (cheap but so booooring, not that I do not like those as well - my personal opinion, feel free to disagree). Would people prefer either this rather than having just a few splash around that only very few people buy anyway?

About "overpriced". Overpriced compared to what? For example who else makes damn alox MiniChamps in splash, I'd like to see to compare some prices?  ::)

:D

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 10:04:37 PM
I bought it because I liked the looks of it. As for collector value, I'll let my brother worry about that after I'm gone. In the mean time I'm enjoying myself, which is what's important.  ;)

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 10:58:02 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think they are really cool looking.  But I'm not really a collector.  I've ended up trading away pretty much every tool I've ever gotten that had 'collectability' to it.  Not that I don't appreciate aesthetics either, I'm just not an 'art' person I guess. 

I realize my next comment here is going to be totally an apples vs oranges comparison, but I got turned off to 'art' a long time ago because of all the psychobabble drivel that artists spew about the 'meaning' of their art... "evokes sentiments of humanity's ennui in the malaise of modernity... trying to show how people secretly scream out for..." blah blah blah blah blah.  Just STFU already... sheesh.  Steve Martin said it best: "Talking about art, is like dancing about architecture".  Totally meaningless to everyone except the person talking.

Anyway, my point is that yeah, they are really cool... and I'm sure they're probably even more beautiful in person than in pics.  But for me, I just don't see value that way, that's all.   :oops:
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 11:45:02 PM
 :tu: Heinz! It is always a pleasure for me to read your posts. I think I understand and I agree with what you just wrote.

As for the debate, well, is just a friendly discussion here. Different opinions are welcome.

My last reply was a reply to the post just before it. I should have used a quote to make it clear. Quote: " they are overpriced and they haven't any collectible value" (sorry, Mario, Marius does not agree with you there :D).

Opinions on something like this, splash alox, are highly subjective (IMO). To be sincere first time I saw splash alox I had the same thought as it was stated here, that looks like spilled paint. I did not see the need for a long time to try one. When I finally did get one (the one in the photo) I was pleasantly surprised. I like that thing. This does not mean I like them all. I am just trying to say that is fine and better for us overall to have this yet another alox choice on top of the existing ones, regardless if we buy into it or not. My understanding is that there is additional work and costs involved to make them and this is why they tend to be a bit more pricey than the other similar models in solid colors. Compared with the current prices of other limited color alox personally I find the splash prices reasonable.

:cheers: to everyone, regardless of differences in opinions about splash

:climber:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 11:47:05 PM by Marius »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 11:54:11 PM
I'm primarily a collector. My brother is an art professor, and my sister-in-law is an art museum curator, so I guess I'm 'artistic' by default. Certainly I enjoy art museums; also science and history museums. Not to say I like all of modern art, or any other art category. Like everything else it obeys Sturgeon's Law (90% of anything is crap). Some things, such as pop music and tv, obey the 1st Corollary to Sturgeon's Law (Sturgeon was an optimist).

As for my brother, he can lay on the goobledegook if need be, but is more likely to discuss a piece in terms of the artist's technique, use of colors, and overall technical ability. One of his suggestions; if you can't figure out what's going on or think it stinks but do't want to say so, say "He has an interesting way of handling color". Sounds impressive and covers most bases.

us Offline Marius

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 11:58:59 PM
Karl, when you will receive that splash of yours, if you will have time, please show us some pics.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 12:12:45 AM
Karl, when you will receive that splash of yours, if you will have time, please show us some pics.

Roger that!  :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 06:13:52 AM
Hey guys, just to make sure I'm being clear, I mean no condemnation or malice, etc. in what I've said.  I just don't "get" art for the most part.  Maybe that's a character flaw of mine, IDK... 

Marius, thanks for the kind words. :)  Glad to know my tangential ramblings are appreciated!

I had a friend who is an art photographer who had a gallery of his own for a while, where he showed and displayed primarily other people's work, and not just photographs.  He invited me to a couple of his showings back then, and I found I just couldn't stand that most of what people were saying/talking about because it was basically meaningless babble.  As you mentioned Karl, it wasn't really about the technique, or use of color, or composition, etc., it was mostly just pretense and people trying to act/sound sophisticated and be popular.  Ugh.   :facepalm:  (I'll definitely keep your comment in mind the next time someone asks me what I think of a piece of "art".) 

In terms of what I do actually like in art, my tastes are somewhat... um, contradictory.  I love Van Gogh's paintings, but generally don't like impressionism.  (I know, weird.)  Probably my all time favorite painter is Alfred Bierstadt; I love the outdoors and outdoors activities, and his paintings are simply mind blowing to me.  I love his use of light and shadow, and the photorealism they have as well.  I also really like a lot of the old pre-impressionism French stuff like David; "Oath of the Horatii" is an awesome painting.  Also, I generally hate abstract art, but once in a while find some of it really cool.

I can see how if I were into collecting, and believe me, I've certainly entertained the idea of collecting SAKs (as if I need to make this even more expensive for myself), most of the +B stuff would be (and is), drool-worthy.  But it turns me off, for example, about his stuff that he charges the same $100 or so for a newly minted 'special-run' Yeoman.

Anyway, I'll shut up now, because now I'm just rambling...  :whistle:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 07:40:51 AM
Hi Heinz,

No problem. The important thing is you're out there looking, getting the brain synapses firing instead of vegetating in front of the tv.

I'm not a major fan of Van Gogh; much prefer Monet (different tastes). David's a great painter and an equally great propagandist. I like his "Napoleon Crossing the Alps". If you like Bierstadt, check out Thomas Moran. Also Timothy O'Sullivan's photos.

As for collecting, it can get expensive. On the other hand I know people who spend more on booze and tobacco than I do on collecting, and I have something to show for it. Whatever your level of involvement, keep in mind its a hobby. That is its something you do in your spare time with your spare money. If it starts to affect your life its time to get out.

Enjoy life!

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 07:51:55 AM
Was that "Roger that" an accidental joke or was it on purpose? :D
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 08:12:32 AM
Was that "Roger that" an accidental joke or was it on purpose? :D

"Roger" is military radio talk for "received and understood". The "that" implies a level of agreement. If I had wanted to be more precise I could have said "Wilco", short for "will comply".

Maybe I'm a bit dense, but if that's a joke I'm missing it.  :think:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 08:21:56 AM
Oh I know that, but we were also talking about Roger (+B). Well, I thought that was funny :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #20 on: August 18, 2012, 08:25:49 AM
Oh I know that, but we were also talking about Roger (+B). Well, I thought that was funny :)

Missed the connection to SwissBianco.  :P

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 04:13:22 PM
:tu: Heinz! It is always a pleasure for me to read your posts. I think I understand and I agree with what you just wrote.

As for the debate, well, is just a friendly discussion here. Different opinions are welcome.

My last reply was a reply to the post just before it. I should have used a quote to make it clear. Quote: " they are overpriced and they haven't any collectible value" (sorry, Mario, Marius does not agree with you there :D).

Opinions on something like this, splash alox, are highly subjective (IMO). To be sincere first time I saw splash alox I had the same thought as it was stated here, that looks like spilled paint. I did not see the need for a long time to try one. When I finally did get one (the one in the photo) I was pleasantly surprised. I like that thing. This does not mean I like them all. I am just trying to say that is fine and better for us overall to have this yet another alox choice on top of the existing ones, regardless if we buy into it or not. My understanding is that there is additional work and costs involved to make them and this is why they tend to be a bit more pricey than the other similar models in solid colors. Compared with the current prices of other limited color alox personally I find the splash prices reasonable.

:cheers: to everyone, regardless of differences in opinions about splash

:climber:
It's ok i understand, everyone has the right to express his opinion and i will respect him, no matter if i agree or not.. :D
After all, any opinion (as you said) is subjective and i agree with that.
When i wrote that is overpriced i mean compared to what you get for that money.
I will prefer to buy a rare gunmetal blue or cinnamon colored alox rather than a splash, even if sometimes i must pay more money.
Some other collectors, want the splash alox more than the usual full color, it's a matter of personal preference.
Also sometimes it gets in my nerves when i see some things like this: To take some Pioneers and to baptised anniversary alox soldier knives only because they have a etching in the blade!
But this is another story....
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 05:01:41 PM by MARIOS7319 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79