Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spearfishing

dks · 3 · 1500

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Spearfishing
on: August 19, 2012, 11:43:49 AM
I replaced the bands on my, 10 year old, speargun and started freediving/snorkeling for fish again, after a break of a few years (taking pictures of fish...).

I have not been diving too deep lately (a few meters) so I have gone a bit minimalistic on the kit I use.

No flippers or wetsuit etc as the weather is good and I am just having fun seeing how fast or deep I can go without flippers.

Maybe I will get a new spear as the one I am using is not really that good for rocky sea beds etc.

So:
Speargun (about 110cm body)
Gloves
Knife
fish bag
Low volume mask and snorkel

I feel sore all over... the bands, the pressure, holding your breath fo as long as possible as you explore the rocks and caves...  but its really good fun,  :D

Any more speargun enthusiasts out there??
IMG_1222.JPG
* IMG_1222.JPG (Filesize: 241.6 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Spearfishing
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 12:23:29 AM
I seriously thought about taking it up last week when I was face to face with a very large fish while snorkeling.

Usually when I fish I ascribe to a catch & release policy since I don't eat them, and as I understand it, once you have speared them they don't release all that well!  :P

Of course a spear gun is just a fun thing to have around just for the sake of having a spear gun around!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Spearfishing
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 06:50:33 AM
Spearfishing is fun and good exercise.  :D

I practise safe spearfishing, in that I usually do not hit anything..  :D

For some reason all the fish I saw that were happy to have their picture taken magically disappeared when I pointed a speargun at them.
The size and amount of fish and molluscs near the shores has gone down in the past few years, so it is hard to find decent size fish to shoot at.
The situation does seem to be getting a bit better lately..

As you said, it is also fun to have one more weapon/sharp  :viking: object in the house.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%