Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Where roses come from...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Where roses come from...
on: February 26, 2008, 08:59:18 PM
No, this isn't a joke, it's an email I received early this morning.  For obvious reasons, I'll keep the sender's email addy to myself...  Be warned, while the censor should get rid of any nasty language, the overall message is still pretty nasty.  If you read the forum with kids present, you may wish to skip to another thread.

"I believe most of Leatherman's success is just the shear dominance of name brand, they pioneered the market and ever since 9/11 they have become more common place as they are more appealing to the public than a regular pocket knife"

what the smurf kind of an idiotic statement is THIS? what does 9/11 have to do with pocket knives and multi-tools?  and what kind of data do you have to support that a) multi-tools have become more common-place and b) more appealing than pocket knives since 9/11?  what are you - another one of these idiots who believes that anyone carrying a knife is a terrorist, so you make up some stupid smurf about how multi-tool use is up since 9/11?  get a job.  use your head.  do something, just stop saying stupid smurf like  this.

I made a polite response and explained to him that this quote was actually from Dave Bowen, not myself, but I fully support Dave's statements on behalf of the site.  I then proceeded to explain to this person that it wasn't only 9/11 that was responsible for the current desire to feel prepared- there were other incidents as well, including the floods in New Orleans.  People are now learning that the system cannot always be relied on and there are going to be times where one simply has to rely on his or herself, at least temporarily until such time as aid workers can be mobilized.

I also invited this individual to join in our discussion so that his opinions could be heard, especially since there is at least a small amount of an interesting discussion here- Have you noticed a difference in the carry preferences of the people around you, and has your carry changed.  If so, do you think it had anything at all to do with world events?

Even if you don't have an opinion on that, feel free to post something about your thoughts on the dangers of alcohol mixed with an internet connection.  Remember, friends don't let friends drink and type...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Where roses come from...
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:19:39 PM
LMAO! maybe he could talk to Micky's postal service for us!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 09:42:42 PM
Wow That is a trip. I really think someone has been sipping the Kool Aid!!!!
S

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 09:45:09 PM
My dear departed grandfather  would counsel against the dangers of drink on an empty head :D

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 09:57:25 PM
All I can do is shake my head, it's kind of sad and funny all at the same time.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 10:00:19 PM
He should join Blade forums, they love a good flame war over there :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 12:15:30 AM
My dear departed grandfather  would counsel against the dangers of drink on an empty head :D

- Terry

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 01:16:44 AM
My dads fav. saying was.
"Empty barells make the most noise"
S

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 01:31:08 AM
I wonder if his mommy knows how often he uses the Colorful Enunciation word? :o :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 03:01:46 AM
So is that person arguing that multi tools HAVEN'T progressed and gained (relative) popularity since September 11th, 2001? :think:  Multitools certaintly haven't stagnated or declined.

more appealing to the public than a regular pocket knife
My thought on that is this; the number of nuts, bolts, wires, and screws of varying sizes and shapes has increased on the things we encounter every day has increased quite a bit in the past few decades, and a simple pocket knife with a blade or two has been overrun by SAKs and multis.  Not to say there isn't a place for a quality pocket knife, but city folk will find it lacks some essential tools.

I've felt for the past few years there's a growing sense that being prepared isn't really a novelty anymore, it's neccessary. 
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 12:48:15 PM
I'm pretty certain that's what he was saying.  Frankly I think that he's wrong.  Admittedly when a building is falling on your head, or you are trapped on the roof of your house for several days a multitool may not help you much, but in more regular type situations it could mean the difference between life and death.  That hiker who was trapped by a rockslide and had to hack off his own arm is a good example.

Also, given the number of new multitools that have hit the market in the last two years, it's hard to argue that their popularity is declining since the manufacturers want to make money.  That's hard to do when your line is expanding, your competition is expanding and the sales are decreasing.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 02:30:31 PM
Wow, someone has a problem with something I wrote...should I be shocked or no? Yes the impact of those events have just nudged sales for all the companies in the industry not just Leatherman. Is this from the LA Times article or something on our site, I am having a brain fart Def :P

David

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 02:32:26 PM
Here's the link to the thread with a link and quote to and of the article.

Here.

;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32