Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

You guys suck

se Offline Northern Geek

You guys suck
on: August 25, 2012, 08:20:57 PM
..well not really  :P

But when I first discovered this site I had a single Vic.. a Climber. I used to have a SwissChamp as well but it got stolen..  :(

Now.. I've got the following: Compact, Climber, a Deluxe Climber put together in the wrong order and a Handyman.

Plus.. I've just oredered a stayglow Climber from the catman and a OH Forester from Amazon.

WTF.. you guys are draining my wallet!  :D

I haven't even been a member for a long time, nor a very active one but there you go.. :)

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: You guys suck
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 08:42:40 PM
Come on now. Its not like we don't warn everyone to hide their wallets when they first join :D

SAKs are just too cool to own just one.... or two, or three .... ...  :ahhh
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 08:44:25 PM
True.. and then add the fact that it's payday and I'm having a few beers.

Hello Forester!  :drink:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 08:50:20 PM
The Forester is a good one (in my opinion pretty much all of them are), are you getting the dual-material or the original?

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 09:10:49 PM
The One hand open dual density version.

Really looking forward to it too! :D

A new sporting goods store opened here a few days ago and they had some Vic's (too pricy tho) but it was my first time playing around with the dual density scales with the new soldier. Knew I had to have some then.. just didn't know what particular knife. Figured the forester since prefer the cork screw. :)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 09:15:08 PM
 :tu:

(Though serrated blades are a deal-breaker for me personally. I was really surprised about how comfortable the Vic OH is when I first tested it, though.)

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 09:21:22 PM
:tu:

(Though serrated blades are a deal-breaker for me personally. I was really surprised about how comfortable the Vic OH is when I first tested it, though.)

I know.. I'm a bit sceptical about the serrations myself.. I don't really have anything to sharpen them with that would actuallly give a good result..

Guess I might have to pick up a sharpmaker one of these days.. :P

I was tempted to buy a OH Trekker Plain Edge off of centralvalleywholesale on ebay but I relaly wanted the DD scales so.. oh well. :P (Plus the cork screw)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 09:26:23 PM
Yeah, the DD scales are really nice, and I usually prefer the corkscrew myself.

The Sharpmaker is a very nice sharpening system. I have one, and I'm very happy with it. The only downside is that if you need to do heavy reprofiling it is slooow, even with diamond rods.

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 09:29:27 PM
Well considering my sharpening skills and my current equipment I doubt that it could be anything but an upgrade.. :P

nl Offline Waterlander

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too..
Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 02:45:01 PM
Get yourself an old mousepad and some coarse 240 emery paper to start with, and those serrations are gone before you know it.  Not hard at all. If I can do it, anybody can. ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 02:48:11 PM by Waterlander »

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 06:07:20 PM
Yeah?

Might be worth a shot. :)

I have to admit, I'm a wee bit tempted to get myself a plain edge OHT as well and do a scale swap.. but then again.. that might be spending a bit more than I actually ought to. :angel:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 06:08:56 PM
Yep those serrations come off pretty easy.  Makes the knife a whole lot better IMO.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 07:34:05 PM
I think I'm going to give those serrations a chance before I do anything about them. No need to remove them until the knife needs a sharpening at least.

What about just sharpening it like a plain edge knife and very gradually work them down over a period off y sharpening sessions? Of would that leave me with a strange semi serrated edge that's worse than the alternatives?

br Offline rmagralha

Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 10:30:05 PM
When I found this forum, I had 5 SAKs, today there are around 10 on their way (hope the post office deliver them ASAP!) and I´m bidding in 2 more in eBay....so we are all on the same boat! :cheers:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 10:30:42 PM
Still no Farmer though  :whistle: :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
You guys suck
Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 12:01:24 AM
:worthless:

Sent from Ash forum mobile

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 01:22:49 AM
Personally, I learnt early on just how bad this obsession could go.

Indeed, Badwolf (where is he??) warned me of the perils this forum could bring.
Fun as it is, it quickly takes over and before you know it - you find yourself suddenly losing all sense of everyday real life necessities, food, bills etc etc.

And boy was he right!!

Within a few months of being a member here, my humble collection which amounted to 4 :-

Explorer
Wave (1st Edt')
Swisstool
Stan Shaw Folding Bowie

By the end of the 2nd month my sock drawer wouldn't Shut !! :ahhh

So, I went looking for a suitable box, Halfords were offering their own brand 4 drawer steel tool chest for £23.00, needless to say one came home with me.

It's now almost full.....BUT I made a vow to myself that when it's finally full I either sell some or stop - There's got to be a cut off point, otherwise it'll just get truly out of control.

..................Hmm,  unfortunately Halfords don't do a 6 drawer version     :ahhh :ahhh

Tosh
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 02:27:20 AM
, I went looking for a suitable box, Halfords were offering their own brand 4 drawer steel tool chest for £23.00, needless to say one came home with me.

It's now almost full.....BUT I made a vow to myself that when it's finally full I either sell some or stop - There's got to be a cut off point, otherwise it'll just get truly out of control.

..................Hmm,  unfortunately Halfords don't do a 6 drawer version     :ahhh :ahhh

Tosh

Do the four-drawer boxes stack?  :D

Just remind yourself; you'll never have everything (though it's nice to try); and you don't need to get them all at once. Pace yourself. As with any other hobby it should be something you do in your spare time with your spare money. If it starts to interfere with more important things you need to back off. Hate to sound preachy, but I once worked with a man who, among other problems, was an obsessive collector. His life was a total mess. Relax and enjoy it, but don't let things get out of hand. :tu:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 03:13:56 AM

Do the four-drawer boxes stack?  :D

Just remind yourself; you'll never have everything (though it's nice to try); and you don't need to get them all at once. Pace yourself. As with any other hobby it should be something you do in your spare time with your spare money. If it starts to interfere with more important things you need to back off. Hate to sound preachy, but I once worked with a man who, among other problems, was an obsessive collector. His life was a total mess. Relax and enjoy it, but don't let things get out of hand. :tu:

"Do the four-drawer boxes stack" LOL - I'm still laughing now!!  :cheers:

Y'know Colo'

I owe you a beer for that bit of advice you just gave - though you may not believe it, it stopped me in my tracks.
At the moment I've got no work (joiner - and desperate to get out of it), this forum is a great place to forget, but oh boy' does it lure you.
I made a point when I first joined that I wouldn't be buying current models only the discontinued lines.............more or less stuck to it....  :pok:  ahem.....

The biggest problem for me is the fact that they're discontinued, so naturally when they come up it's too tempting to bid or buy regardless (within reason) simply because you don't know if/when the next one will show up. But..........they always do - and that's what I need to accept.
If I accept that, then it's a piece of cake!!

I had a similar problem with monoculars a few years back - jeez, did that get out of control!! :ahhh

..still, got a fabulous collection in the loft. My young son will wonder what the bloody hell was wrong with me when he finally inherits the lot.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 04:44:33 AM
Hi tosh,

Glad I maybe saved someone some grief.

A cautionary tale, mentioned earlier here, but maybe worth repeating.

I once worked with a man, very sharp, but with a few screws very loose. He claimed I was not a true collector because I was not willing to go into debt to support my collection. He collected in a dozen areas and was a nationally recognized expert in several of them. He was also regularly in debt and being dunned for unpaid bills and bounced checks. He was also a pathological hoarder and a total slob. His desk at work was written up as a fire hazard, and his car was filled with fast food trash up to the windows. After he died they brought in a number of industrial-sized dumpsters to clean the trash out of his house. Most of his collections also ended up in the dumpsters because no one was willing to dig through the tons of garbage to sort out the good stuff.

An extreme example, but not unique.

Any hobby should be pleasant and relaxing; something you do in your spare time and with spare money. If it starts to interfere with more important things such as family, or health or financial well-being, you need to step back and take a hard look at it.

In the case of SAKs or any other collectible, if you have more than a handful of items, they need to be organized and they need to be documented. You may know what everything is and where everything is, but your heirs probably don't.

I will now get off my soap box and go get something to drink. :cheers:

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 07:52:02 AM
Wise words everyone.

And to quote someone here on the forums (I forgot who wrote it) "I'm not a colelctor, I'm just looking for the perfect EDC" :P

So far that's narrowed down to either the Compact or the Climber for my part.

The forester was mainly an impulse buy just because I was so impressed with the dual density scales.

And regarding Farmers.. well.. I've been close to buying either a Farmer or a Pioneer just try out an alox model but haven't gotten around to it yet. I want my scissors.. and a saw isn't very important to me to be honest. Maybe a mod to have the saw replaced with scissors? But.. not right now. :D

I'm a wee bit tempted to check out a OHO dual density Nomad as well.. and.. gah.. it never stops does it? :ahhh

hu Offline borgwarrior

• Wait,what?
Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 08:09:48 AM

Just made a bid on a Swisschamp... I "hate" this forum. :facepalm: :D
Last december, I had two SAKs. Now? Closing on 20, plus the Swisstool and a Spirit... :pok:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:14:50 AM by borgwarrior »
Small collection of SAK's, (but growing rapidly. :D) not so fast at this time. :( And the most important of all: Ze Zuper Zoldier by Steve!  :ahhh
Wishlist for 2014: Rangergrip 88, Victorinox: CT41, Spirit X BO CC, Swisstool X BO, Some limited Alox stuffs and so on

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 08:26:52 AM

Just made a bid on a Swisschamp... I "hate" this forum. :facepalm: :D
Last december, I had two SAKs. Now? Closing on 20, plus the Swisstool and a Spirit... :pok:

You just reminded me that I actually have a Swisstool laying in my car as well.. another impulse buy during the sales after christmas last year.. :facepalm:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 12:07:46 PM
Any hobby should be pleasant and relaxing; something you do in your spare time and with spare money. If it starts to interfere with more important things such as family, or health or financial well-being, you need to step back and take a hard look at it.

That!

An important reason why I started collecting knives, learning about steels, etc, is that I needed something fun that I didn't need to be good at. Something where any observation or knowledge was a bonus, not just another facet where I had to work harder. When a hobby becomes work, what's the smurfing point?

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 04:50:08 PM
:worthless:

Sent from Ash forum mobile

Here's some pictures then! :)

Didn't have my whole collection handy but here are the pictures I took on the knife that was assebmled wrong. I'm sure you guys don't need the circles and so on, they're there for the guy who repaired it.

First the type of liners they used:

And then the scissors and pliers were assembled in the wrong order, making the pliers hit the scissors, pusing it aside and making the scissors rather hard to open:

It still works.. but it's a bit.. strange. :P

nl Offline Waterlander

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too..
You guys suck
Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 10:50:18 PM
Well, I don't have kids to feed, no wife to obey anymore, no debts and no morgage to pay. I have no money draining car, no big flatscreen and don't care for status. I work hard for my money and what else to spend it on then hobbies?! :)

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 28, 2012, 02:32:00 PM
I don't understand the problem; how bad can it really get?  What's the big deal about 10 knives, when I get them shipped by the dozen I find the savings on shipping to be quite compelling. :angel: 

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 28, 2012, 02:40:07 PM
I don't understand the problem; how bad can it really get?  What's the big deal about 10 knives, when I get them shipped by the dozen I find the savings on shipping to be quite compelling. :angel:

In Norwegian we have the expression “Saving yourself into poverty.” ;)

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 28, 2012, 04:36:49 PM

In Norwegian we have the expression “Saving yourself into poverty.” ;)
I'm beginning to understand that saying.

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #29 on: August 28, 2012, 05:24:55 PM
Well, I don't have kids to feed, no wife to obey anymore, no debts and no morgage to pay. I have no money draining car, no big flatscreen and don't care for status. I work hard for my money and what else to spend it on then hobbies?! :)

Yeah.. that's kinda what I figure as well. As long as I can pay for food, rent, gas and so on.. the essentials and not have to be overly cheap towards my girlfriend.. what harm could a few knives do eh? :angel:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%