Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Restoring "Snap"?

Offline knifewing

Restoring "Snap"?
on: August 25, 2012, 08:04:21 AM
Is there a way to restore the "snap" of the tools on an older used SAK? Will simple cleaning and oiling do the trick? Is there something short of disassembly that will work? Or is there a point of no return once the snap has begun to fade? Any help anyone can provide will be appreciated. Thanks.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Restoring "Snap"?
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 09:29:04 AM
If the backspring has been weakened or damaged then the snap will never be as good as it was when new.
Otherwise, as you said, a good cleaning (I use washing up liquid, toothbrush, maybe Ultrasonic cleaner) followed by a bit of oil on both sides will help.
Also any bits of metal rubbing with the blade will need to be filed down.

If it is really bad then some people here will disassemble the whole knife, clean it and rebuild it.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 01:48:36 PM
That said, it takes a long time, or rather, many cycles, for the backspring to become a problem. Usually, cleaning up the knife properly does the trick, and we have many threads about that and lots of experienced forumites.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 04:33:57 PM
Assuming the SAK has no plastic parts on it like a magnifier; pop the scales off and soak it in mineral spirits for a day, then scrub, soak, and repeat. Let dry and oil. That should get any gunk out.

and if you live with someone, use odorless mineral spirits.  ;)

Offline knifewing

Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 07:43:06 PM
Thanks so much for these tips. I'll get to work and see if I can revive the knife--a Weekender with a serrated main blade. I'll also check for more info here on the Forum. jim

Offline Mattexian

Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 02:25:06 AM
Usually when my SAKs get dirty enough to need cleaning, I use the garden hose with a sprayer nozzle to blast out the gunk, then dry it thoroughly with paper towels and oil it well.  Normally I have to be careful with this knife, as the snap will be restored so well that the blades will close quicker than I was used to, and I will likely get nicked.

Matt in Texas
R

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Restoring "Snap"?
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 08:00:17 PM
The can Opener on my old motorist has no snap at all and will stick partially out limp, until you pull out the cap lifter then it suddenly snaps back.  Its snap is then restored, well until you replace the cap lifter, then it is limp once more.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 06:56:22 AM
The can Opener on my old motorist has no snap at all and will stick partially out limp, until you pull out the cap lifter then it suddenly snaps back.  Its snap is then restored, well until you replace the cap lifter, then it is limp once more.
I assume the cap lifter, when opened, pushes on the backspring, tensing it, moving it and making it make better contact with the can opener thus making it work beter.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 01:57:19 PM
I assume the cap lifter, when opened, pushes on the backspring, tensing it, moving it and making it make better contact with the can opener thus making it work beter.

Sounds like the backspring has been sprained to me, Chip  :( Too much posing with all the tools fanned out  :P

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Restoring "Snap"?
Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 07:48:54 PM

All I know Is I have taken the scales off and stuck it through the dishwasher a couple of times, given it a goof blasting with compressed air and a good oiling and it is still the same. I can live with it.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
Restoring "Snap"?
Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 07:52:02 PM

Sounds like the backspring has been sprained to me, Chip  :( Too much posing with all the tools fanned out  :P

So you think I should stop using it as a ninja star then.

That knife was on my keys for a very long time and I must have dropped them every day of that time.

Quite frankly it's a miracle it works at all.

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 10:24:07 PM
Is there a way to restore the "snap" of the tools on an older used SAK? Will simple cleaning and oiling do the trick? Is there something short of disassembly that will work? Or is there a point of no return once the snap has begun to fade? Any help anyone can provide will be appreciated. Thanks.
If the cleaning doesn't do the job, then probably the backspring needs to be replaced.
You can send a mail to the service of Victorinox in Switzerland and ask them if they could replace it.
I have the email address, if you want to contact with them.
 :tool:

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Restoring "Snap"?
Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 10:48:12 PM
Here's an idea. Take the tool in question and open it. Find something similar in size to the tool. Place it on a hard surface then use the similar size piece you have and put it approx where the pin is located. Give it a tap. This will bend the brass pin ever so slightly in the opposite direction and may just get the snap back. I'll get some photos up soon if you need.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%