Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OHO Forester issues

se Offline Northern Geek

OHO Forester issues
on: August 31, 2012, 01:41:33 PM
I just got my new OHO Forester (no pics right now, I'm at work still  :P) and I've noticed an issue with it.

When I close the saw it sometimes get caught on the outside liner to the point that it won't close all the way down. It's already made some visible scratches in the outside liner.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? I'm considering trying to just bend the saw blade a tiny bit towards the main blade, that should stop it from snagging, but I figured I'd check with the gurus first.  :D

I'll try to get some pictures up if needed when I get home from work tonight.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: OHO Forester issues
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 01:58:30 PM
I had the same problem on the "my first Victorinox" from my oldest son, went back to the store with it and after a loooooooong time (about 3 months) and a lot of phone calls got a new one in return.  Victorinox customer service is very poor (to say the least) in my country ...  ::)

You can read about it here  ;).

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 02:34:20 PM
I had the same problem on the "my first Victorinox" from my oldest son, went back to the store with it and after a loooooooong time (about 3 months) and a lot of phone calls got a new one in return.  Victorinox customer service is very poor (to say the least) in my country ...  ::)

Considering I ordered mine online (from amazon.de) I'd rather not send it back in. I wonder if it'd be ok to try and bend the saw ever so slightly?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 02:43:36 PM
I tried bending the saw on the "my first Vic", but it didn't work  :(.

However, the saw on the "first Vic" knife is not as long as the one on the forester, so maybe it's a bit easier to bend it, but I wouldn't get my hopes up ...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 02:47:26 PM

Considering I ordered mine online (from amazon.de) I'd rather not send it back in. I wonder if it'd be ok to try and bend the saw ever so slightly?

You should be able to.  Ive bent blades a few degrees no problem, so it should work assuming the saw is similar.  The way I bend blades is to clamp in a vice and gentle hit with a mallot.  For a saw I think I would clamp it so the handle part of the sak is sticking up in the vice and give it a short buy firm shove.  Gentle slow pressure wont make the metal have a permanent bent, you have to give a sharp push.  Try that but not too far, then check alingment and repeat.  That should solve it.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

au Offline T.J. Hooker

Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 05:12:00 PM

I heard of Victorinox service being excellent.
Was the store a Vic store or a other store?

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 06:50:47 PM
I fixed the saw by just holding on to the handle and pressing the saw blade towards the edge of a table.. now it closes perfeclty :whistle:

Anyone know the point of the small bumps on the liner by the main blade btw? The two "speed bumps" that you notice when opening them.

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 07:06:03 PM
I just got my new OHO Forester (no pics right now, I'm at work still  :P) and I've noticed an issue with it.

When I close the saw it sometimes get caught on the outside liner to the point that it won't close all the way down. It's already made some visible scratches in the outside liner.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? I'm considering trying to just bend the saw blade a tiny bit towards the main blade, that should stop it from snagging, but I figured I'd check with the gurus first.  :D

I have the same thing with a ONE HAND MASTER RT and i went back to the store in the same day. :viking:
They replaced it with a new one in a few minutes, no questions asked. :D

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 07:23:22 PM

I have the same thing with a ONE HAND MASTER RT and i went back to the store in the same day. :viking:
They replaced it with a new one in a few minutes, no questions asked. :D

If I'd have bought it in a physical store I'd have done just that. :)

I'm happy with it now though, it works like a charm.

I.. can't stop opening and closing it now.. It's my first OHO Vic.. and it's fun! :D

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 07:26:38 PM
I fixed the saw by just holding on to the handle and pressing the saw blade towards the edge of a table.. now it closes perfeclty :whistle:

Anyone know the point of the small bumps on the liner by the main blade btw? The two "speed bumps" that you notice when opening them.
Good for you  ;).

I tried that with the Vic knife from my son but it didn't solve the problem, no mather how far I tried bending the saw the other way, it always got stuck on the scale again ...

I heard of Victorinox service being excellent.
Was the store a Vic store or a other store?

It was an official Vic dealer, along with 2 other "outdoor stores", they all told me the same, Vic products are great, but the Belgian importer doesn't care about the stores or their customers.  When three different stores tell you the same story, I fear there must be some truth in it.  One of them even sold me all of the Spirits he had in stock at -70% , just because he wanted to get rid of them because he didn't want to deal with the Vic importer anymore.

I called the customer service myself a few times (one time even 45 minutes) and heard on lie after the other.

gr Offline MARIOS7319

Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 11:53:42 PM
If the importer doesn't respect the customers then the after sales support ceases to exist. :rant:
You can contact directly Victorinox in Switzerland, they have different attitude to the customers.

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 08:28:15 AM
Just thought I'd share a pic of the newcomer with the rest of the family. :)

As you can probably see it's a SwissTool, Compact, Climber, the odd Deluxe Climber, Handyman and the new Forester.

Shot with an iPhone so sorry about the fuzzyness and so on. :P

family.jpg
* family.jpg (Filesize: 187.03 KB)

gr Offline MARIOS7319

Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 11:05:33 AM
Just thought I'd share a pic of the newcomer with the rest of the family. :)

As you can probably see it's a SwissTool, Compact, Climber, the odd Deluxe Climber, Handyman and the new Forester.

Shot with an iPhone so sorry about the fuzzyness and so on. :P
You have a nice collection there. :)

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 11:11:38 AM
Cheers mate :)

I'm really trying to stick to ones I think I'd actually carry.. but.. there will probably be a few that I just can't avoid in the future.

For instance the Forester made me curious about a OH Nomad as well.. For more urban focus than the Forester.

gr Offline MARIOS7319

Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 11:32:20 AM
Cheers mate :)

I'm really trying to stick to ones I think I'd actually carry.. but.. there will probably be a few that I just can't avoid in the future.

That happen to me, and more than once! :facepalm:

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 11:39:21 AM
I still blame you lot for it all!  :twak: :angel:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99