Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Pliers Strength

Teofilo · 33 · 19588

Poll

Are the plier heads of all Leatherman tools have the same strength & toughness?

yes
2 (10.5%)
no
13 (68.4%)
undecided
4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Leatherman Pliers Strength
Reply #30 on: March 09, 2008, 04:09:18 PM
I believe so! I know that S30v is a harder steel thus is more brittle. Like the tungsten carbide wirecutters found on the Gerber 800 Legend-they are so hard there brittle!
B

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #31 on: March 09, 2008, 06:00:16 PM
Is that true lm123? but i'm not much into knives. I used the pliers and screwdrivers more often. S30V or CM154, I think they are just the same.

For all intents and purposes they are.  They are different formulations of knife steels that are both quite highly regarded.  Of course, s30v is indeed a newer steel and therefore much better.   ::)

The knife industry survives by selling you knives that are high enough quality that you will never need to buy another one, at least until next year when a "new" steel is discovered, or an old steel is rediscovered and you have to buy a new one because it's so much better than the one you had last year.  Of course, what was the greatest thing last year is probably not very good  ::) by this year's standards.

Frankly, I have owned many knives in many different steels and there are many factors that make up a good blade, and steel is only one of them.  Edge geometry and grind are much more important IMHO- look at a SAK blade for example.  A SAK cuts as well as anything else but is made from what is considered by many to be a "crappy" steel.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline appletree_man

Reply #32 on: March 09, 2008, 06:36:45 PM
Speaking from a woodworking background the best and most sought after, plane irons (blades) were usually the old pre-war laminated steel types.

Not the same as knives of course, but it's interesting to watch the new steels coming around every year  :D
T

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD