Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Farmer Key Ring Wiggle

us Offline TweezersAndAToothpick

Farmer Key Ring Wiggle
on: September 06, 2012, 08:14:00 AM
Hey guys so I have a Vic Farmer and I love it, but I have only had it for about a week or two and I have noticed that the eyelet or whatever you call it where you attach the keyring has developed some play. It has a decent amount of wiggle, not so much to where it's just flailing around but it's not just a tiny barely noticeable movement. Pic of the perpetrator:

Haven't dropped it or anything, only thing I have done is put on and take off a lanyard a couple times. I was going to use this as my hiking/camping SAK but the wiggle makes me want to just use this one as an EDC and buy a new Farmer to sub in as my hiking/camping SAK. I know that sounds OCD but when I am hiking I use retrieval lanyards on my SAK's so it would be subject to continued stress on the key ring attachment (don't use lanyards on my EDC SAK's, they sit in the watch pocket). Before I buy my next one I just wanted to ask anyone else that has a Farmer if they have the same issue. I don't have this issue on any of my non-Alox SAK's. To be clear, I am not complaining about the quality of the knife or Vic's QC, this is not a huge issue for me but I don't want to buy a second one just to have one with no wiggly parts if this is the norm, in which case I will just live with it.

Obligatory knife pron:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Farmer Key Ring Wiggle
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 08:30:43 AM
I've got a few Farmers and none of mine wiggle :think:

You could always send it in to Vic to have it repaired mate if its niggling you too much :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 08:34:25 AM

You could always send it in to Vic to have it repaired mate if its niggling you too much :tu:

If it's not the norm that they wiggle then I will happily just buy a second one, this one can just be my every day Farmer and I will use the other one as my outdoors Farmer. I just didn't want to use it as my outdoors one with the wiggle because I will be pulling it out of my pocket every time I need it by the lanyard, which would continue to stress the key ring attachment. It's not a huge deal to me, definitely not enough to bother sending it in. Looks like I'll have to put in an order for my second Farmer soon  :D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 08:36:29 AM
One Farmers never enough anyway :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 08:42:02 AM
I have the same "issue" with my Compact.

It really doesn't affect the knife in a negative way but it feels.. wrong? It makes it feel a bit cheap when parts that aren't supposed to be able to move are moving.. :P

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 08:56:20 AM

If it's not the norm that they wiggle then I will happily just buy a second one, this one can just be my every day Farmer and I will use the other one as my outdoors Farmer. I just didn't want to use it as my outdoors one with the wiggle because I will be pulling it out of my pocket every time I need it by the lanyard, which would continue to stress the key ring attachment. It's not a huge deal to me, definitely not enough to bother sending it in. Looks like I'll have to put in an order for my second Farmer soon  :D

Now that's a positive outlook on things. A+ good man.  :D
I'm the milk man!

Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 09:21:17 AM
Now that's a positive outlook on things. A+ good man.  :D

Thanks, I've been around knives long enough to know that no matter what brand it is not every single piece leaves the factory perfect, heck who knows it could have even been bumped around through all of the shipping it has endured. Either way, doesn't really affect the function and that's what SAK's are to me; pure, high value function (with a touch of nostalgia). Maybe part of me knew that I was going to end up buying another one at some point anyways haha.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 09:53:05 AM
Your right they all can't be spot on from the factory. Another Farmer is never a bad thing either.   :tu:
I'm the milk man!

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 10:10:08 AM
For what it's worth.. I really prefer it when you get the eyelet as an extention of a backsrping instead of the thinner version on the liner. The thicker one on the spring is a lot more comfortable in your hand, the thinner one almost feels sharp to me.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 01:06:30 PM
Do you mean wiggle as in rotates on the pin a little, or wiggle side to side?  If you mean rotates slightly on the pin, all of the new ones Ive bought are like that.  Probably 60 or so in the last few months and they are all like that.  Maybe they move about 1mm or so.  I don't have any older ones to compare it to, but the fit up is for sure not tight on the new ones.  When I put in the Titanium key ring spacers on customs I try to make sure they have no wiggle.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 03:47:40 PM
Do you mean wiggle as in rotates on the pin a little, or wiggle side to side?  If you mean rotates slightly on the pin, all of the new ones Ive bought are like that.  Probably 60 or so in the last few months and they are all like that.  Maybe they move about 1mm or so.  I don't have any older ones to compare it to, but the fit up is for sure not tight on the new ones.  When I put in the Titanium key ring spacers on customs I try to make sure they have no wiggle.

That's exactly how mine acts. You get a very slight arcing movement on the pin, nothing at all sideways.

Tbh, makes me want to grind it off completely since I don't use a lanyard on that knife anyawy. :P

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 04:06:45 PM
It's normal. It is a spacer plate that is only held in by the pin, so there will always be some degree of rotational movement. Some are just held tighter than others.

Here is a pic of one without the keyring lug.
plate002.jpg
* plate002.jpg (Filesize: 22.19 KB)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:09:40 PM by Spork, Lord of Lime Jello! »

Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 05:34:39 PM
It is not a side to side, it is rotating on the pin. If it is a common problem, will it's range of movement continue to increase or is it already moving as much as it's ever going to?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 05:59:14 PM
It is not a side to side, it is rotating on the pin. If it is a common problem, will it's range of movement continue to increase or is it already moving as much as it's ever going to?

I haven't noticed them increase, its pretty much the same. 

I think the only way to make it 100% solid and never move would be to rivet that piece to the liner beside it.  Ive toyed with the idea, but then it didn't seem worth the effort and I've just accepted that's how they are.  If I remake springs I'm going to make some 93mm ones with a keyring nub as part of the spring as Id like that better anyhow.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 06:06:23 PM
that´s very common in 84mm saks as well  :climber:
custom swiss army knives

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 01:34:39 AM
It's common but not a "problem"...just part of the design. The L shaped portion sits under the end of the backspring...there is a small clearance there so that the spring fully contacts the tang of the blade and not the spacer.

You should probably know there's a built in vertical wiggle on the main blade of the 111mm linerlocks too  :D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 01:39:51 AM by Spork, Lord of Lime Jello! »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD