Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

G-Shock! Yeah, baby! 8)

Splat · 28 · 4080

us Offline Splat

G-Shock! Yeah, baby! 8)
on: December 22, 2007, 03:49:30 AM
There was a thread about Gshocks over at EDCforums. It couldn't have come at a better time. I needed a new watch as my old Timex bit the dust. I had that watch for roughly 15 years, though I think I wore it for only 10. Not bad still because I didn't baby it. I didn't really know of the G-Shock line until I read about them at EDCforums. Well, today I bought my first G-Shock. It's the MTG-930DA-8V http://tinyurl.com/26nde3  It's looks a helluvalot better in person. The store had a Christmas sale so I surprisingly got a very good retail price on it. I love this watch.   :cheers:  It's a damn good looking watch, feels like it's built like a tank, has features I don't even know if I'll use yet, has the atomic time retrieval feature as well as solar charging of the battery. I wish it had a countdown timer but since I've never had one before I figure it's not a big deal to me. It feels like it should've been on wrist already, if you know what I mean. It doesn't look big and tacky like most of the other G-Shocks. Oh, did I mention it's a damn good looking watch.  :D :P 

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
--
Splat
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 03:54:38 AM by Splat »
Splat

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: G-Shock! Yeah, baby! 8)
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 06:01:15 AM
Ooooh... I like the looks of that!  (I don't need a new watch... I don't need a new watch... I don't need a new watch... I don't need a new watch...)

:D
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 06:04:56 AM
Ok, let me first admit that I know nothing about watches...

I noticed in the specs for that G-shock that is has an accuracy of + or - 15 seconds per month... isn't that a bit high?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 09:02:23 AM
We've discussed G Shocks here a few times... I have two myself.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 09:46:15 AM
I'm not sure I've ever seen a G-Shock in person, but the ads for them make them look big and goofy - Plus they advertise to the wrong crowd for me.

My Citizen Windsurfer has performed admirably enough.

I'm saving up for a Rolex Submariner.

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 10:56:00 AM
Ok, let me first admit that I know nothing about watches...

I noticed in the specs for that G-shock that is has an accuracy of + or - 15 seconds per month... isn't that a bit high?

That's if you are out of range of the atomic timekeeping signal & it's functioning as a 'normal' quartz watch. The atomic signal is accurate to about 1 second every million years... :D I've got near enough the same watch (colours are a little different, and it's called the GW500U over 'ere) and it has always been perfect :o

15 seconds a month would probably be considered acceptable time loss in an automatic. A friend's Sub loses that and he doesn't seem bothered. Obviously some are better than others, and some people are less accepting of 'character' than others :D I'd just like to say that my friend John, who owns eight grand plus worth of high end watches, sets them by my G every month ;) Here's mine;

C

Offline Thargor

Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 09:23:27 PM
Splat and Yellowhammer, is that the best G Shock Atomic Solar available? Im badly in need of a new watch and this is definitely the way I want to go I think, unless someone can recommend a better watch, maybe with a compass/altimeter? Could you also tell me if the back face that is in contact with your wrist and the strap is plastic or metal? Ive found with the plastic ones in the past that they really mess up the skin on my wrist.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 09:44:13 PM by Thargor »

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 09:45:23 PM
Thargor, you could have a look at the Pathfinder range - All the bells & whistles you want, and sensible money too. Only thing worth bearing in mind are that they're not built as bulletproof as G-shocks (but are still much tougher than 'normal' watches ;)), the compass/barometer/thermometer/altimeter isn't fantastically accurate, and they are big :D This is the pick of the bunch at the mo; http://pathfinder.casio.com/watches/hiking_trekking/PAW1300-3V although the 1500 is coming out this year. You can also get it on a metal bracelet.
C

Offline Thargor

Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 10:30:33 PM
Woah, I totally missed that whole range when I was looking for watches with similar features to the G-Shocks, those look perfect, Ill have a look on the EDC and Watchuseek forums to see what the opinion is on them, they really do look good though, thanks a million man.

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 10:41:25 PM
No worries mate :) They like 'em over at watchuseek, I can tell you - even if they get a bit precious about Casios that aren't 'proper' G-shocks :D
C

us Offline Splat

Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 12:16:49 AM
Splat and Yellowhammer, is that the best G Shock Atomic Solar available? Im badly in need of a new watch and this is definitely the way I want to go I think, unless someone can recommend a better watch, maybe with a compass/altimeter? Could you also tell me if the back face that is in contact with your wrist and the strap is plastic or metal? Ive found with the plastic ones in the past that they really mess up the skin on my wrist.

The back of my MTG-930DA-8V is stainless. IMO this is the best looking G-Shock. It looks stylish with a dress shirt or sporty when jogging. It's been about a month since I got it and I really still love it. The auto-atomic-calibration has been working flawlessly and it's keeping time dead-on. I highly, highly recommend this watch. Oh, and it's up to 5 or 6 compliments from fine females on it.  :D :cheers:
Splat

Offline Thargor

Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 01:26:18 AM

The back of my MTG-930DA-8V is stainless. IMO this is the best looking G-Shock. It looks stylish with a dress shirt or sporty when jogging. It's been about a month since I got it and I really still love it. The auto-atomic-calibration has been working flawlessly and it's keeping time dead-on. I highly, highly recommend this watch. Oh, and it's up to 5 or 6 compliments from fine females on it.  :D :cheers:
To be honest I think its absolutely perfect looking and it has practically everything Ive ever wanted in a watch, plus it gets great reviews from people like yourself. Looking at more pics of the Pathfinders on peoples hands they're just too big looking with those fat cases surrounding the screen, like some kind of mp3 players or PDAs nearly. No retailers in Europe so Im just waiting for some US Ebayers to get back to me about postage for the MTG-930DA-8V and I think Ill be buying one :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 01:36:38 AM
If you guys are into G's, check out the forum at www.g-forces.org for another cool bunch of guys.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Carthas

Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 02:44:03 AM
Slightly off topic, but Yellowhammer, that little O-ring on your P2D, does that glow? if so, where did you get it from?

us Offline Splat

Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 06:41:32 PM
If you guys are into G's, check out the forum at www.g-forces.org for another cool bunch of guys.

Thanks Def! Just what I need, another place to spend time I really don't have.  ;)
Splat

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 07:48:54 PM
Slightly off topic, but Yellowhammer, that little O-ring on your P2D, does that glow? if so, where did you get it from?

Certainly does, it needs charging with a light source first though. I leave it on a windowsill as long as possible in the mornings. you can get 'em from Lighthound; http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=341
C

fi Offline deano42

• Custom paracord lanyards
Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 11:22:26 AM
Hi

You have got to love the g-shocks.!   :D

I have a two of them, both fitted with the adaptors and a zulu strap (not really keen on the standard straps):

Thanks
deano

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 01:03:30 AM
Looks like I'll be getting a G-Shock next week. I'm kind of leaning towards a Solar Tough version. Has anybody had any problems or issues with watches using this system? On paper it looks great, I'm just curious to any real world long term use.

us Offline Splat

Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 01:15:21 AM
I've had my G-Shock (see first post of thread) since Christmas. I still love it. It's been working 100% fine. No errors, problems, or worries. I would buy another. That good enough for ya?   :D
Splat

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 01:20:47 AM
I have two myself, and I do like them.  I have no experience with the solar types so I really can't help much.  You may want to check out the forums at www.g-forces.org for more info.  They are a bunch of great guys over there and can probably provide more info than us.

Def

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 02:16:19 AM
Thanks Splat. Glad your liking yours. I've been looking for a rugged watch for a while now and these G-Shocks seem to fit the bill.

Thanks for the link Def, I don't get why forums make you join before you can even browse around and see how things are discussed. I prefer to lurk and read before joining, but maybe I'll give it a go later.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 02:19:28 AM
I dunno either.  My guess is that it's to encourage membership, but that's not my cup of tea.  Fortunately for them, it's their forum and they can run it the way they like! :D

Def

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 10:30:35 PM
Wear my Gshock Tough solar every day and love it. I have the data bank model and have all the credit card numbers in it.

I love that the zulu straps can be adapted to fit them. Time to call Countrycom.
S

us Offline Splat

Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 05:19:30 PM
Thanks Splat. Glad your liking yours. I've been looking for a rugged watch for a while now and these G-Shocks seem to fit the bill.

I doubt you'll be disappointed!  :)

Thanks for the link Def, I don't get why forums make you join before you can even browse around and see how things are discussed. I prefer to lurk and read before joining, but maybe I'll give it a go later.

Actually, sometimes you don't need to join to just browse. Use Google's "Advanced Search" http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en  functions. Input the domain name, such as http://www.g-forces.org/ in the "Domain" field and then input any words you're searching for in the "Find Results" field(s) of your choice. Sometimes this works even with forums/sites you haven't registered in.
Splat

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 07:13:46 PM
Thanks for the tip!

Here is what I just ordered... http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/MTG900DA-8V/
Got it on ebay for $34 + $9 shipping. It has a metal band. Has anyone here had to add or remove links on a G-Shock metal band? How hard is it? I couldn't find any info on Casio's site.

us Offline Splat

Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 04:05:43 AM
Here is what I just ordered... http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/MTG900DA-8V/
Got it on ebay for $34 + $9 shipping. It has a metal band. Has anyone here had to add or remove links on a G-Shock metal band? How hard is it? I couldn't find any info on Casio's site.

I almost bought that model!  :)  As for the links.... it took the guy at the watch shop I bought mine at about 20 minutes to fit mine.  I have heard it can be a PITA but I've never tried it.  Good luck with your new watch. I think you'll be happy with it.  :cheers:
Splat

us Offline GMArthur

Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 12:47:57 PM
I've been wearing my G-Shock for the last few days now. I could not be happier with the purchase. It took me about 5 minutes to remove three links and now it fits great. No problem with it syncing up to colorado every day. Just a great buy and I'm glad I got it.

Offline Thargor

Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 02:38:01 PM
Theres a new G-Shock on the way, and apparently its the most feature-packed one ever made, which is just how I like my gadgets and multitools:

New GW-9200 Riseman

That thing is beautiful, $230 though and its not out until June, plus they're only making 3000 a month so it might take a while to get my hands on one, Im definitely buying one, so glad I didn't impulse buy one like I was thinking of doing when this thread started or Id be seriously pissed off now, hopefully the dollar will still be really weak vs the euro by then >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%