Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Air travel friendly Multitools?

Offline vadsoom

Air travel friendly Multitools?
on: November 27, 2006, 09:50:42 PM
Prior to 9/11, I lived in Tokyo, making countless flights to Asia and back with my trusty Leatherman in a belt sheath.

Since 9/11, technology has advanced to the point where I can now carry all of the items I need (clothes, cables, laptop, some small "approved" tools, toothbrush, etc.) for most business trips, foreign or domestic, in a single carry-on bag. There's one exception - I'm a field engineer and rely on my Leatherman Charge. Since I can't carry it on board, I get stuck checking bags. 

On my last trip, my bag was lost. It ended up being recovered less than 24 hours later, but has me thinking about trying to figure out some kind of tool I can carry that won't be confiscated by the TSA.  I don't want to break any laws, but am in need of the pliers, scissors and screwdrivers most of all. Actually, I could probably make due without a knife (I know, blasphemy), which is, I think, the stumbling block.

I would prefer something of good quality, but might make an exception if there was something inexpensive enough not to worry about losing at the hands of an overzealous TSA agent.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Much!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Air travel friendly Multitools?
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 10:17:49 PM
I don't know what exactly is and isn't permissable nowadays but if you could make do withoput a knife blade, you might want to look into some of the SOG tools.  They are the only full sized multitools that are customizeable, so you could get one and remove the blade, possibly even replacing it with another tool you might find useful.
Otherwise, unless someone knows about one I don't (which is very possible) I think you are limited to small keychain type tools like the Swiss+Tech Microtech pr the Sebertech M3.  They are handy little things but not up to, or meant for medium to heavy duty work, and I doubt that as a serious tool guy they would fill your needs.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline SoDak

Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 12:27:13 AM

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 04:14:30 AM
This might work for you
http://leathermanstore.com/leatherman57.html

Yup, that's exactly the one I was thinking of too.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline vadsoom

Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 05:07:08 PM
 :o That Leatherman might just fit the bill! Thanks Guys!!

Offline spunkyruss

Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 10:12:59 AM
You can't carry-on any tool that's longer than seven inches in length.  A four-inch Leatherman is eight inches long when it's spread open (just look at the handy ruler that's stamed into the handles). 

I don't trust a TSA screener to be reasonable enough to see it as a four-inch tool. 

I sent an email inquiry to TSA a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't heard anything back. 

That's not exactly true -I did receive ten canned "DO NOT REPLY" emails telling me to turn off my spam blocker.  They were literally sending me two or three of those emails per day, for a few days in a row.  My spam blocker was turned off.  All of the "DO NOT REPLY" messages made it to my inbox, but that was all that I got.

TSA's excessive non-response to my email inquiry really sealed the deal for me.  I don't trust anybody from TSA to be reasonable enough to sit on a toilet seat the right way.

Offline gatch

Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 06:19:56 PM
I agree with spunkyruss, I wouldn't trust the screeners. I have found with these sort of agencies decisions are very much the at the discretion of the individual, meaning that one screener may have not problem with it and yet another not allow it. Their decision could be based on anything including what mood they are in that particular day, not to mention the stupidity of some of these people: I heard of an incident where a grandmother taking a toy GI Joe figure as a gift to her grandson had the miniature toy gun for it confiscated. And once they tell you that you can't carry it that is the end of it.

If you want to risk it I read somewhere a good piece of advice: carry a stamped self addressed heavy duty envelope so that you can mail it back to yourself so that it does end up on ebay after being confiscated.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%