Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox scale replacement and LED mod question

Offline biebs

• New User
Victorinox scale replacement and LED mod question
on: September 19, 2012, 10:01:19 PM
Hey everyone! I was referred here via reddit, and was hoping you all could help me out! I have a vision in mind of replacing the scales on my Victorinox Huntsman with wooden ones, but incorporating an LED light into the build.

Ideally, what I want to do is hand-make the scales out of some maple or oak I have kicking around, and incorporating an LED light into the end of the knife WITHIN the scale itself, using the Victorinox Cross inlay as a button to activate the light. Is this crazy? Maybe so crazy that it just might work? I think I could do it. Does anyone here have any input on this? Am I reaching too far?

us Offline clickstop

Re: Victorinox scale replacement and LED mod question
Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 11:24:47 PM
Hey everyone! I was referred here via reddit, and was hoping you all could help me out! I have a vision in mind of replacing the scales on my Victorinox Huntsman with wooden ones, but incorporating an LED light into the build.

Ideally, what I want to do is hand-make the scales out of some maple or oak I have kicking around, and incorporating an LED light into the end of the knife WITHIN the scale itself, using the Victorinox Cross inlay as a button to activate the light. Is this crazy? Maybe so crazy that it just might work? I think I could do it. Does anyone here have any input on this? Am I reaching too far?

Not crazy at all! It seems very doable. If anything you could buy yourself one of the 58mm Lite series with the little light, and just take it apart for the led components. You can even use the Vic Cross from those and use it as the switch.

Offline biebs

• New User
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 12:30:01 AM
I actually didn't know those little 58mm's had lights available! That would save a lot of tinkering and trying to find all the parts locally. I'll try to find one this weekend, thanks!

us Offline clickstop

Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 12:41:18 AM
I actually didn't know those little 58mm's had lights available! That would save a lot of tinkering and trying to find all the parts locally. I'll try to find one this weekend, thanks!

Yep! As I mentioned the cross from those Lite knives even serve as the switch, so that would save you a couple of steps  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%