Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

French SwissTool

marduk · 11 · 3140

Offline marduk

French SwissTool
on: September 20, 2012, 11:11:36 PM
The French government in 2008 ordered the SwissTool for its military. The model they chose was the black oxidized two-bladed version (w/both the serrated & plain edge blades but w/o the scissors (3.0323.3). It was modified somewhat to include the blasting cap crimper on the nose of the pliers & officially dubbed 3.0323.3CN. What puzzles me is--why did the French order this tool & not the lighter, more compact one used by he Swiss military--the SwissTool Spirit X, which is also black oxidized w/a blasting cap crimper in the pliers' nose (3.0114.3CCH)? Without contacting the French military, anyone have any idea why?
French.JPG
* French.JPG (Filesize: 20.67 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: French SwissTool
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 11:25:23 PM
Maybe they felt the heavier duty SwissTool was preferable for soldier use?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 12:33:55 AM
My thought, exactly.
Maybe the specifications that has Victorinox from the French military want specific weight for this SwissTool. :think:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 12:36:28 AM by MARIOS7319 »

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 01:31:00 AM
The French aside, we've seen Swisstools being issued by several countries in the past. AFAIK the Swiss military was the first to issue the Spirit, and that only happened a couple of years ago when the CCH version came out. BTW presumably the first CCH tools sold to civilians were an overstock from the Swiss military order...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 01:44:29 AM
Yup. I have an Australian army issue Swisstool.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline marduk

Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 02:15:00 AM
You'all are probably right. The SwissTool looks on the surface to be a more sturdy weapon than the smaller Spirit. I don't know what its like today for combat infantrymen what w/body armor, infrared devices, complex automatic weapons, communications equipment, etc., but in the old days in the USArmy, the first thing a trooper did when going into combat was to ditch all the extra impedimenta supplied by the QM. Gone was the napsack, the bedroll, tent junk, bayonet, K rations, even in some cases the steel helmet and liner. You don't want extra weight weighing you down. Some even got rid of the heavy Gararnd M1 rifle for the lighter M1 carbine whenever one became available. What sounds great to the pencil pushers back on staff turns out to be impractable in the field. But today, times & needs may have changed. What was practical 50 years ago, may not be today. O tempora, o mores!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 02:34:12 AM
While weight saving is always a good goal the difference in weight between a standard SwissTool and a Spirit is pretty negligible, especially when considering all the other stuff a modern soldier is carrying.  When you consider that breakfast from day to day will weigh a soldier down more or less than the difference between the different multitool models, the weight savings is pretty insignificant.

Given the choice between the pretty well bulletproof Spirit and the absolutely bulletproof SwissTool I know which one I'd prefer if I was a soldier.

Def

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 02:43:23 AM
The Aussie Army apparently did quite a extensive evaluation program to work out which MT to issue & they settled on the standard BO Swisstool. I have been lucky enough to have come across a few Aussie army issue Swisstools , a few have been new  :o :o , some have been REALLY well used/abused & the odd one like new but with one implement hammered ie the blade.
The decision to no longer issue the Swisstool to Australian servicemen & issue the Taylor Schrade ToughTool is purely a cost saving one as the ToughTool is smurfy smurffighter piece of smurf :( :(
A lot of servicemen buy their own stuff , like knives & MTs.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 02:58:20 AM
I hope no one in the Australian military have an iron grip like Bob....

Def

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 10:31:53 AM
I agree with all said but have a question regarding the OP. Wasn't it the Spirit S?

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 10:34:49 PM
If you mean the 3.0323.3CN, it is a SwissTool (not a Spirit S). If you mean the Swiss military issued Spirit, it is a black oxide Spirit X (plain edge blade and scissors, not the S model with plain and serrated edge blades), with a cap crimper head.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%