Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

HughesNet blows!

Offline kreskin13

HughesNet blows!
on: March 03, 2008, 12:00:35 PM
This happened to me this weekend. every word is true ! I read about this when it first came out and thought "this could never happen to me", but it did. :o

http://consumerist.com/consumer/hughesnet/well-downgrade-your-bandwidth-82-and-youll-like-it-261084.php

$80 a month for slow "high speed" and then they do this. >:(

HughesNet blows! >:(

P.S. Great website consumerist.com. You won't believe the things that happen to people.

Calvin
[

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: HughesNet blows!
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 12:44:02 PM
Nice site, thx. I'm sure I'm gonna use it in the future!

I've heard about that happening a lot bro. It happened to my girl here a couple of years ago.
"Less for more, aren't you happy!" they sneak in your new contract. It's seems a very common satellite practice,
it was bound to happen with so many people jumping on the dish high speed band wagon! Poor supply and great demand!

When I lived it southern Illinois last year, we had terrible internet cable service, some days we couldn't even check the speed
or pull up a single page because a it was too slow for the page to come up, once we got a speed of 1kbps! I swear!

So finally we found "Dish" and got a package deal (internet, cable, phone), a decent deal but if we moved within a
year, we'd have to pay a 200 dollar penalty. We knew we were going to move but had no choice, because we needed
the internet for work, and their was nothing else in the area, so we agreed.

we moved about 8 months later and were expecting a 200 dollar bill, guess what, it was a 500 dollar bill! I called,
talked to every phone operator, supervisors, was told it would be "adjusted, corrected" over and over again.
check the next bill/statement, nope. Finally after many weeks a high up supervisor erased the whole thing, I owed nothing.

I told her I'll believe it when I see it in writting and sure enough, about two weeks later, it went through (bless her heart).
During all the conversations, I never got abusive and stayed calm and made no crude comments about their company or ancestry!
I even made jokes. I was put on hold, disconnected tons of times. I know they monitor all that hold time so even then I was "Nice"

I got lucky, eventually I got the right time, and right person but I'm sure many do not. Expect this more and more people, keep records,
names (first and last) times, dates and any information you can, and be nice! and just maybe things will go your way...

Offline kreskin13

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 01:25:00 PM
I'm glad things turned out well for you. Most of the time people end up getting screwed. Consumerist.com will show you that on a daily basis. I bet you dollars to donuts (I don't even know what that means) we could start a Consumerist.com thread/rant that would go on and on! >:(

Living out in the boonies is nice but you do give up some things. Satellite TV and "high speed" internet is all I can get. I am hoping when my 2 year contract with HughesNet is over my phone company will have 'high speed" internet by then. I don't ever see us getting cable.

Calvin
[

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 02:56:02 PM
    I feel your pain. My cable bill has gone up,this month it went up 6 dollars without explanation,or any improvement in service,or expansion in offerings.Come to think of it,service has taken a dive after Time-Warner took over from Adelphia in this area.I'm very seriously considering alternatives.
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD