Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My slightly modded Surge 199

Full Member Posts: 170 Bought a Trekker for work and the collection began
My slightly modded Surge
« on: February 22, 2020, 07:59:04 PM »
I made a few changes to the Surge to fit my needs.  One is the addition of a lanyard loop big enough to clip a small S hook through from my sheath setup so I don't lose it in a crawlspace on the job.  The one that is built in is not only too small, it's on the wrong end of the tool for the way I carry them.   I did this by taking one off of a Wingman (that my daughter now keeps in her pickup).  I added this lanyard loop over the bolt head for the serrated blade (simply because I find that is my least used tool on the Surge, but I do use it on occasion to cut cord on the job).  The next mod was to do away with the bit holder.  This particular tool was always troublesome to me for any 3D bit that is wider than the bit holder itself and turns a 3D bit into more of a 2D use (which has more of a tendency to strip out the fastener or the bit).  So I found that by grinding a little angle into the stop for the pliers in the handle, I could fit the three dimensional Phillips from the Rebar in there and the lockback function matches up perfectly.  This also allows for the use of the hex head adapter which greatly increases the ability of this multitool for me.  I just recently bought a pack of Milwaukee bits and filled up this Dewalt container with the bits I've lost and mangled over the past couple of years.  This also works with the ST300 Phillips as well, but I find the Surge much more capable of withstanding force than the ST300.  Another thing I've learned is using this tool with the handle closed is what leads to the death of the hinge in the pliers, so I use this with one side of the handle if I really need to twist hard.  (This is the second Rebar Phillips I've put in this one as I twisted the last pretty bad using the biggest security torx that would fit in it on a telecom enclosure)...

Trekker...   The last knife this lineman will ever need.   Oh, and a Craftsman, or a Swisschamp, or a Ranger, or maybe a Spartan, a Deluxe Tinker, or a.....
No Life Club Posts: 3,623
Re: My slightly modded Surge
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 08:58:46 PM »
Nice mod :cheers:

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,762
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 10:20:54 PM »
 :iagree: :cheers:
Just Bananas Posts: 70,738
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 11:05:58 PM »
 :iagree: As well  :like: :tu:

fail to prepare prepare to fail
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 02:13:29 AM »
Many thanks, everyone!    :hatsoff:

Trekker...   The last knife this lineman will ever need.   Oh, and a Craftsman, or a Swisschamp, or a Ranger, or maybe a Spartan, a Deluxe Tinker, or a.....
Global Moderator He Who Has The Most Nuts, Wins! Posts: 58,827
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 02:35:10 AM »
Great job :tu: I love the bit adapter that goes on the 3d Phillips  and carry it with me even when the MT I am using doesn't have it just so I never forget it :cheers: :D I always carry some sort of bit in my pocket as well and it makes for a small screwdriver in a pinch :tu:

What did you end up doing with the bit adapter :think:
« Reply #6 on: Today at 04:36:17 AM »
Great job :tu: I love the bit adapter that goes on the 3d Phillips  and carry it with me even when the MT I am using doesn't have it just so I never forget it :cheers: :D I always carry some sort of bit in my pocket as well and it makes for a small screwdriver in a pinch :tu:

What did you end up doing with the bit adapter :think:
Thanks!   I've just got it in a box with parts from other multi tools and knives I've modded.  It's laying on the ground underneath in that one picture.  I had put it back on temporarily until I was able to replace the last Rebar Phillips I had twisted on it. 

« Reply #7 on: Today at 05:03:18 AM »
If you ever decide you want to part with it then maybe we can do a trade or come together about something  :tu:
« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:16:42 AM »
If you ever decide you want to part with it then maybe we can do a trade or come together about something  :tu:
Shoot me an address.  I was only holding onto it in case I needed to send the Surge back for repair.  Not a fan of that particular tool. 

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,882
« Reply #9 on: Today at 08:47:41 AM »
Nice.  :tu:  The phillips from an ST300 will go into a Surge with no grinding required.

« Reply #10 on: Today at 12:16:01 PM »
Shoot me an address.  I was only holding onto it in case I needed to send the Surge back for repair.  Not a fan of that particular tool.

PM sent :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
February Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: $308.00
PayPal Fees: $18.89
Net Balance: $289.11
Below Goal: $10.89
Site Currency: USD