Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OHT owners club!

Fistach · 1006 · 65604

Offline Bancomat85

Re: OHT owners club!
Reply #210 on: October 31, 2017, 06:21:28 PM
Hi guys!! Just picked up my new BO OHT, really nice tool!! But mine has the plier's head a little bit off center...not perfectly aligned, like someone has abused it. The tool is brand new... can i fix it myself? Or better ignore it and go on?

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #211 on: October 31, 2017, 10:27:25 PM
Apparently that is common with these... mine are a tiny bit off-centre but the bigger issue is the replaceable cutters don't quite meet.
You could try the punch into the plier pivot method but looks hard to do on these without dismantling.  :think:

Offline Bancomat85

Reply #212 on: October 31, 2017, 10:47:16 PM
Apparently that is common with these... mine are a tiny bit off-centre but the bigger issue is the replaceable cutters don't quite meet.
You could try the punch into the plier pivot method but looks hard to do on these without dismantling.  :think:
What should i do?...

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #213 on: October 31, 2017, 10:49:41 PM
How bad is it? Pics?

Offline Bancomat85

Reply #214 on: October 31, 2017, 11:01:32 PM
How bad is it? Pics?
Sorry, this is the best i can do with my phone...

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #215 on: October 31, 2017, 11:21:00 PM
Mine is the same, can move from being aligned to offset by the amount you have there. Do the cutters meet? If not, there is a workaround....
I would just live with it but then it's probably much more of a hassle for me to send back than it is for you.
Others may have other ideas/opinions....

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #216 on: November 01, 2017, 02:42:56 AM
 Sending back is a waste of time. Sent my first OHT back twice. Each time had new pliers. Both replacement pliers had the exact issue. However, the last pliers meet up well enough that they don't cross over when twisting medium duty wire. My BO OHT I got recently pliers were excellent though. Not perfect, but close! LM just said "smurf it" when designing the OHT. IMHO. The plier tolerance isn't my only beef with them either, but I won't go there. $80+ tools should be better than that.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #217 on: November 01, 2017, 03:56:39 AM
The plier tolerance isn't my only beef with them either, but I won't go there. $80+ tools should be better than that.
Actually I would be interested to hear what else is your beef. The plier tips/cutter alignment is the only issue on mine.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #218 on: November 01, 2017, 05:33:38 AM
The plier tolerance isn't my only beef with them either, but I won't go there. $80+ tools should be better than that.
Actually I would be interested to hear what else is your beef. The plier tips/cutter alignment is the only issue on mine.
Let's see.
Flimsy handle scales.
Tools drag on said scales.
Ridiculous twist lock mechanism that has no positive positioning, so you can turn it and not know.
Plier spring system makes tool bulkier than necessary. It didn't need to be spring loaded. IMO.
Excessive hot spots when squeezing handles.
Can opener could have been nixed, small flat head put in its' place and much longer main blade could have filled an entire 'slot'.
Plier jaws only meet at the far tips. Holding thin stuff is not practical/possible.
No practical bit kit options.
Standard "molle" sheath is junk. The edge liner at the top tears within days.

But, on the flip side.
It is a good looking tool.
It is truly OHO all around, although best for us ambidextrous people.
Good driver shapes, even the '2d' phillips.
Strap cutter is fantastic.
Saw works well for the length.
Both blades insanely sharp and easy to resharpen.
Positive and strong tool lockup and closure with liner locks.

I am not a hater, but LM could have done a whole lot better with the OHT.
I own two OHTs and don't plan on getting rid of them. They make a great show-off tools.  :)
20171030_235118-1.jpeg
* 20171030_235118-1.jpeg (Filesize: 97.22 KB)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 05:38:25 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #219 on: November 01, 2017, 10:41:18 AM
OK so a mix of bad quality control and design features you don't agree with (which I do  ;) )
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 11:06:31 AM by Syncop8r »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #220 on: November 01, 2017, 01:57:04 PM
That is pretty much the TLDR of the rant I posted. Thank you. :)
But, like I mentioned, some of the things about the OHT are cool. Overall I have been spoiled rotten with tools such as the LM Surge/Wave, Vic SwissTool/Spirit, Gerber CD, &MP1. All of which I have gripes about too.
However,  with that being said, the OHT is a very good looking tool that many find more than adequate for their needs. :cheers:

Offline Bancomat85

Reply #221 on: November 01, 2017, 03:49:01 PM
Punch to the pivot method? How can i do it?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #222 on: November 01, 2017, 09:27:36 PM
Punch to the pivot method? How can i do it?

I personally wouldn't bother because the slightly loose pliers give the spring room to function.
But if you must, pop off the two retaining link clips and remove the plier head.
Place one side of the plier pivot against something hard and hit the other side with a punch.

us Offline The Lone Wanderer

• High Octane Gasoline
Reply #223 on: November 03, 2017, 03:12:51 AM
Overall, if I could find one on clearance or trade a few unused MTs away, OHT owners, would it be worth it?
Last of the V8 Interceptors

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #224 on: November 03, 2017, 03:41:50 AM
I don't regret mine. Love the look of the BO version most.
I haven't used it much but it has great fiddle-factor.  :D

Here's my 2c on your thoughts about it's shortcomings GLBM:

Flimsy handle scales. - Mine seem fine.
Tools drag on said scales. - Not an issue on mine.
Ridiculous twist lock mechanism that has no positive positioning, so you can turn it and not know. - Hasn't been a problem for me, although I tend to not lock it.
Plier spring system makes tool bulkier than necessary. It didn't need to be spring loaded. IMO. - I LOVE that the pliers are spring-action. :dd:
Excessive hot spots when squeezing handles. - I found the handles really comfortable.
Can opener could have been nixed, small flat head put in its' place and much longer main blade could have filled an entire 'slot'. - I think being aimed at military it needed to have a can opener.
Plier jaws only meet at the far tips. Holding thin stuff is not practical/possible. - I think there is a good reason for that... explained on another thread.  :think:
No practical bit kit options. - True, but I think it's meant to be self-contained multitool.
Standard "molle" sheath is junk. The edge liner at the top tears within days. - True, the pocket part especially. I also think it's a litttle too small for the OHT which doesn't help.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #225 on: November 03, 2017, 04:42:05 AM
I don't regret mine. Love the look of the BO version most.
I haven't used it much but it has great fiddle-factor.  :D

Here's my 2c on your thoughts about it's shortcomings GLBM:

Flimsy handle scales. - Mine seem fine.
Tools drag on said scales. - Not an issue on mine.
Ridiculous twist lock mechanism that has no positive positioning, so you can turn it and not know. - Hasn't been a problem for me, although I tend to not lock it.
Plier spring system makes tool bulkier than necessary. It didn't need to be spring loaded. IMO. - I LOVE that the pliers are spring-action. :dd:
Excessive hot spots when squeezing handles. - I found the handles really comfortable.
Can opener could have been nixed, small flat head put in its' place and much longer main blade could have filled an entire 'slot'. - I think being aimed at military it needed to have a can opener.
Plier jaws only meet at the far tips. Holding thin stuff is not practical/possible. - I think there is a good reason for that... explained on another thread.  :think:
No practical bit kit options. - True, but I think it's meant to be self-contained multitool.
Standard "molle" sheath is junk. The edge liner at the top tears within days. - True, the pocket part especially. I also think it's a litttle too small for the OHT which doesn't help.
I am curious and no offense intended. And I thank you for the rebuttle. But, have you tried to EDC your OHT? I thought it was the bee's knees until I carried it a couple of weeks. That is when the handle scale/drag issues and grip discomfort became obvious. My plier lock remained off, but just putting it in the sheath would twist it sometimes. Absolutely no positive positioning on either of my OHTs plier locks. It was always a mystery if the pliers would flik out or not, because of it. I can remedy some of the issues, but I don't personally recommend the OHT at $80. My personal opinion is that there are several MTs in the price range that are superior.

But, in the end, MT assertions are mostly opinion/subjective observation really. I did not intend(or desire) to have an OHT debate, because it is all so subjective, but you asked me and I replied. :P

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #226 on: November 03, 2017, 05:18:09 AM
Sorry for turning it into a debate! I'm not questioning your experiences, as you have said I asked for yours, and I have given mine. I'm just interested in others' points of view (and why they are different to mine!).  :cheers:
But, have you tried to EDC your OHT?
No to be fair I haven't. So I perhaps I would agree with you if I had.  :think:

I often wonder about a pocket clip on the OHT...

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #227 on: November 03, 2017, 05:41:48 AM
Sorry for turning it into a debate! I'm not questioning your experiences, as you have said I asked for yours, and I have given mine. I'm just interested in others' points of view (and why they are different to mine!).  :cheers:
But, have you tried to EDC your OHT?
No to be fair I haven't. So I perhaps I would agree with you if I had.  :think:

I often wonder about a pocket clip on the OHT...
It's all good.  :cheers:
It is important in the big MT picture that everyone voices their experiences. If it weren't for MT.O, I would still be using a Gerber pinchy and probably having my hand removed from persistent palm trauma.

The OHT has some cool things going on. And admittedly, I tend to be overly critical about MTs.
A pocket clip could be kind of neat. Looking at mine, the clip could possibly be installed by drilling out the handle pivot and using a new peen rivet to attach a pocket clip. Tricky part would be where to secure it on the out-facing scale below the bypass area. Looks like there is a space to create a lock point behind where the lg. flat head (one side) or phillips (other side) fold in. There is enough scale room for this in theory. This would allow a pretty deep ride in theory. Maybe one of the mod pros on here could chime in. I did look at plier clearance and see no reason this couldn't work. :ahhh

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #228 on: November 03, 2017, 06:04:31 AM
I'm looking at the other end, secured by the pivot, passing through the hole at the top (or is it the bottom?) then folding down...

I like MTs primarily for their gadgetiness rather than their actual usefulness to me. Otherwise NONE of them would be worth the money (to me).  :pommel:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #229 on: November 04, 2017, 03:25:34 PM
Camo with free shot tool
IMG_20171104_161631 (Small).jpg
* IMG_20171104_161631 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 131.56 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #230 on: November 04, 2017, 10:10:26 PM
Very cool! :like:
Send In the spartans

us Offline LoopCutter

OHT owners club!
Reply #231 on: November 07, 2017, 03:39:11 AM
Camo with free shot tool
Is that Camo or snake print?

It is very cool looking, and have never seen another in that pattern. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:41:13 AM by LoopCutter »
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #232 on: November 07, 2017, 06:08:30 PM
Camo with free shot tool
Is that Camo or snake print?

It is very cool looking, and have never seen another in that pattern. 

on the box it said camo, but parts of it look like snake scales
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #233 on: November 07, 2017, 11:01:38 PM
Did you purchase at a SHOT show?

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #234 on: November 07, 2017, 11:04:40 PM
Perfect for hiding in a rattlesnake den.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #235 on: November 08, 2017, 09:16:20 AM
Camo with free shot tool

Are these still available in the 'States? Sadly they never made it to Oz. I do like the print on it.

Pete

Offline Bancomat85

Reply #236 on: November 08, 2017, 12:05:43 PM
Hi guys! How can i do to remove the pliers on my oht? I thought that should it be easy, just removing the clip on the buttons... but they are stiff to remove and i'm afraid to break it... is this the right way or am i doing wrong?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #237 on: November 08, 2017, 12:10:53 PM
I think that is the first camo one I have seen as well :think: :o :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #238 on: November 08, 2017, 12:12:05 PM
Hi guys! How can i do to remove the pliers on my oht? I thought that should it be easy, just removing the clip on the buttons... but they are stiff to remove and i'm afraid to break it... is this the right way or am i doing wrong?

I think you are going about it right but I have never taken the plier head off mine so not for sure :whistle: :D Good luck though :cheers:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #239 on: November 08, 2017, 09:50:15 PM
I'm too scared to try. Maybe Zoidberg well chime in as it sounds like he has done it before...?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD
 12%