Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG ToolClip vs Wenger MiniGrip/PocketGrip?

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
SOG ToolClip vs Wenger MiniGrip/PocketGrip?
on: June 04, 2018, 05:44:46 PM
Can someone give me the rundown on the difference between the SOG ToolClip and Micro ToolClip, and how they compare to a Wenger MiniGrip or PocketGrip? Thanks!

Charles.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: SOG ToolClip vs Wenger MiniGrip/PocketGrip?
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 11:15:59 PM
Here is the Multitool.org MiniGrip/PocketGrip review:
http://multitool.org/tools/wenger/wenger-pocketgrip-and-minigrip-review

And here is the ToolClip:
http://multitool.org/tools/sog/sog-toolclip-review

And the original Micro Tool Clip:
http://multitool.org/tools/sog/sog-micro-toolclip-1st-gen-review

The Micro Tool Clip is a nice tool, although there are three generations of it, the second is fairly rare.  The first generation is probably the best of the three, but seem to be getting harder and harder to find as time goes by.

The full sized ToolClip is also getting a bit rare, but I think is a solid and relatively compact tool.  It is one of my all time favorites, and has been copied many times.  It is a bit light on tool selection, but it gets the job done.

The Wenger PocketGrip is another favorite, with a lot more tools inside, but it is a bit awkward to carry.  This one definitely needs to be carried in the sheath.  It's wide because of the tool selection, not flat because of the plier handle and not short because of the fixed plier head.  All in all it is a good tool, but probably my least favorite of the three for EDC.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 11:42:49 PM
EDC'd a Micro Toolclip (Gen 1) until I lost it last winter (only had the thing like two months). Tough pliers, good cutters, separate plain and serrated edges, and a screwdriver, which really only works with stuff like switchplate covers. The file was a weak point (not too abrasive, and so was the clip (in part, why I lost it, it came loose in a Food Lion parking lot.  You can find them under $50 occasionally, mine cost under $20, because someone had broken off the piece that keeps the pliers from coming open, as well as putting a small ding in the cutters, which easily came out.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 11:43:50 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 12:08:16 AM
I have a minigrip, I'm just wondering how much different the SOG would be as far as usefulness. I like having the minigrip on my belt when I'm messing around in the garage, it's a supremely useful tool. I'm thinking the mini ToolClip is just too small, and the bigger one is too unobtainium... maybe the CRKT Bivy might be a better alternative.

Charles.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 12:20:05 PM
I am a huge fan of fixed plier tools myself.  If you can find one, try to grab yourself a full sized SwissGrip.  It is the best of all of them IMHO. 

http://multitool.org/tools/wenger/wenger-swissgrip-review

Bonus points if you can get your hands on a red one.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 01:24:31 PM
I have a minigrip, I'm just wondering how much different the SOG would be as far as usefulness. I like having the minigrip on my belt when I'm messing around in the garage, it's a supremely useful tool. I'm thinking the mini ToolClip is just too small, and the bigger one is too unobtainium... maybe the CRKT Bivy might be a better alternative.

I agree that the mini ToolClip might be too small for many jobs, and the tool set is limited (but it is surprisingly robust for its small size).  The 3rd version is cheap and readily available if you wanted to try one out.

The regular ToolClip is often for sale on US ebay, but many sellers are asking high prices (compared to what they sold for a few years ago).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%