Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

OHT Review

kd8fre · 17 · 4259

us Offline kd8fre

OHT Review
on: October 02, 2012, 04:49:14 PM
OHT Review
Admittedly, this is my first full review, so who knows how this will go.
First Impressions:
The OHT appears to be built to the usual Leatherman top quality standards.  This reviewer’s tool is the all-black version, which comes with the wonderful privilege of having to spend several minutes wiping down the tool before first use.  This is not a problem, just something to be aware of, as not cleaning the tool will leave the user with black hands from the oil on the tool.
The plier head is smaller than the Wave / Charge family, but appears to be able to handle what a tool this size should be able to, and includes replaceable wire cutter blades.  ad.
The screwdrivers and other small implements are located around the top of the tool, and they include 2 standard screwdriver bits, one Phillips and one bottle / can opener.
There are 4 larger blades around the bottom of the tool, including a standard knife blade, serrated knife blade, saw blade, and a combination strap cutter / Oxygen tank wrench.
All 8 tools in the handles are locking, and are able to be opened or closed one-handed.

Pliers:
The sliding plier head mechanism is a first for the folks at Leatherman, and appears to have been executed well.  This reviewer was able to open the pliers both by “flicking” the tool, and by manually sliding them open, both options only requiring one hand.  Sliding the pliers closed with only one hand was also easily accomplished.
As previously stated, this tool has replaceable wire and hard wire cutters, only the second non 5" tool in Leatherman's lineup to do so.  Hopefully this is a sign that Leatherman is working on implementing this across the board.
These are also sprung pliers, another fairly new addition to the LTG lineup, and an incredibly useful one.

Small Bits
The small bits are of a fairly usual assortment, and seem to be very sturdy.  Locking screwdrivers and tools are a definite benefit with this tool

Large Tools
The four large tools are smaller than their equivalents in the Wave/Charge family, but are large enough to be useful.  This reviewer carries a dedicated knife in addition to his multi-tool, but has tested the blades to be sharp, and able to easily cut boxes and things of the like.
The strap cutter is sharp, and was able to slice through a seat belt without difficulty, as well as cutting plastic pallet straps.
Unfortunately, the Oxygen tank wrench was not able to be tested, but is the same size as other tank wrenches this reviewer has access to.

Final Notes
Overall, this tool is quite an addition to the Leatherman lineup, and will see it’s use in the Emergency Response and Military fields.
There is potential for this to see use outside those fields as well, as this tool seems to have a leg up on similar tools made by the competition.
It also should be noted that the use of the plier-head locking system to prevent it from sliding is almost mandatory when using the screwdrivers or other implements.
--Russ Long

Notes about the reviewer:
This is far from this reviewer’s first multi-tool or Leatherman brand tool.  A brief history includes a LTG Surge, Charge, Crunch, MUT, Wingman, Micra, and several others. 
A little info about the reviewer, he is an all-purpose Information Technology Director, taking care of everything from phones to software to security cameras and everything in between.  In his off time, he is an amateur radio operator and is involved in local emergency response groups.

-Edit: Clarification-
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 05:01:09 PM by kd8fre »
-Russ

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: OHT Review
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 06:50:39 PM
Pictures??

:ahhh

There must be some pictures....   :o

Thank you
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline kd8fre

Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 06:51:33 PM
I'm at work at the moment, so I was able to sneak up the text review, I'll get some photos and post them this evening!

Russ
-Russ

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 06:53:34 PM
 :salute: :tu:

I was worried for a second there........

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline stealth007s

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 09:17:28 PM
Great review!¡! Looking forward to the pictures!¡!  :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline kd8fre

Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 12:48:54 AM
Time for photos!

The plier lock is to the right of the plier slide mechanism in this photo (see the difference compared to the photo after):

There is a firearm cleaning rod attachment shown here, where the plier lock is on the opposite side:

Glory Shot, side 1:

Glory shot, side 2:

Tool closed:

Same side, with tools open:

Tool closed, opposite side:

Tools open, notice the larger thumb hole in the strap cutter, that's the Oxygen tank wrench:

Some may say this tool is ugly, but I happen to like the design
-Russ

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
OHT Review
Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 01:08:12 AM
What did you end up paying for it? I saw some on eBay for $90.
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
OHT Review
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 01:08:23 AM
What did you end up paying for it? I saw some on eBay for $90.
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline kd8fre

Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 01:09:30 AM
I got mine from Moontrail for $69.99 with free shipping.
-Russ

ca Offline sjian

Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 05:49:46 AM
Questions about the slide lock, do you need 2 hands to lock the plier or can it be done with just one?  If so, is it easy? 
"The most dangerous tool is the user"

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 07:34:09 AM
Strange but sort of nice looking!  :)

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 09:23:57 AM
Top stuff Russ  8) :cheers: :cheers:.

Russ does the OHT's pliers rattle at all  :think: , Gerber's sliding pliers tend to rattle around a bit when not deployed  :think:.
The OHT looked like a bit of a brick , how does it compare in hand too your Surge & Charge mate  :think:. The drivers & blades look a OK size how do they compare size wise to your other LMs (Charge & Wingman) :think: :think:

Thanks mate  :cheers: :cheers: , initially I was a bit cold on the OHT , it looks better than I was expecting  8)

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Jamie_M

Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 10:22:49 AM
Good review :tu: Actually looks a lot better than I initially thought.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 10:28:37 AM
Nice review mate  :tu:

I can't see me splashing out for one of these as I don't see that it would replace anything I own or suit my needs - plus it's far too bloody ugly and mall ninja-ish for my tastes -  but I can see the merits of it for professional users who may benefit from an OHO tool which can be operated with gloves on

:cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 10:37:00 AM
Amici,
Very cool and great review, bravo!!

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline kd8fre

Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 03:11:33 PM
Questions about the slide lock, do you need 2 hands to lock the plier or can it be done with just one?  If so, is it easy?

I'm able to do it without much difficulty with one hand.  If you look at the photos, you can see the slide lock, and all you have to do is twist it 90 degrees and it's locked.

Top stuff Russ  8) :cheers: :cheers:.

Russ does the OHT's pliers rattle at all  :think: , Gerber's sliding pliers tend to rattle around a bit when not deployed  :think:.
The OHT looked like a bit of a brick , how does it compare in hand too your Surge & Charge mate  :think:. The drivers & blades look a OK size how do they compare size wise to your other LMs (Charge & Wingman) :think: :think:

Thanks mate  :cheers: :cheers: , initially I was a bit cold on the OHT , it looks better than I was expecting  8)

The only "rattle" I get is if the slide lock is not engaged, and I'm pretty sure that it's movement along the slide, and not really a rattle.

Size-wise the tool is beefier than the Surge, about the same thickness as the MUT, and about the same top to bottom as the Surge. It's a BIG tool, but I'm a big guy, so it works out ;)

The blades are smaller than the Charge/Wave and roughly the same size as the Wingman.  The can opener is the standard Leatherman size, and the drivers are about the same size as the Wingman drivers, but being locking are much more sturdy.

Thanks for the compliments on the review!
-Russ

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 06:46:05 AM
Thanks Russ  :cheers: :cheers:.

8 Liner locks in a MT that has to be a record  :think: :D.

The bulk of the OHT does turn me off a little  :think:. Interesting to see sprung pliers in a full sized LM  :think: , I wonder if other LMs will get the springy pliers  :think: :think:

Thanks again mate  :cheers: :cheers:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56