Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

knife Rare Vic?? Or hoax?

us Offline 8paguilar7

knife Rare Vic?? Or hoax?
on: October 02, 2012, 05:16:18 PM
Hey everyone,

Well, I'm stumped once again, and this time I don't have any pictures. About a week ago at my local swap meet I came across an older gentleman with a bunch of junk. Well, I had a funny feeling about his stand,, so as I go digging through the piles and piles of old silverware, plates, pots and pans; I see a shiny read gem at the bottom. Turns out he didn't even know who's it was or when it got there, so I ask him if he's willing to sell it.Sure enough, he says yes and I walk away with a used Vic for only $5, the problem is I can't identify the knife.

Here's a list of the tools and its size:

91mm

Large Serrated blade, serrations are pretty warn but noticeable.
Small Pruning/Sheepsfoot blade
Bottle Opener/Large Screwdriver/Wire Bender
Can Opener/Small Screwdriver
Awl/Reamer
Corkscrew
Toothpick
Tweezers, with old metal end instead of newer plastic
Keyring

At first I thought it was a serrated Spartan, but then I found it had the Small Pruning blade, which threw me a curveball. If anyone could help identify this knife, I would greatly appreciate it. I've already tried the tool selector on SOSAK with no luck.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Re: knife Rare Vic?? Or hoax?
Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 06:01:27 PM
Hey everyone,

Well, I'm stumped once again, and this time I don't have any pictures. About a week ago at my local swap meet I came across an older gentleman with a bunch of junk. Well, I had a funny feeling about his stand,, so as I go digging through the piles and piles of old silverware, plates, pots and pans; I see a shiny read gem at the bottom. Turns out he didn't even know who's it was or when it got there, so I ask him if he's willing to sell it.Sure enough, he says yes and I walk away with a used Vic for only $5, the problem is I can't identify the knife.

Here's a list of the tools and its size:

91mm

Large Serrated blade, serrations are pretty warn but noticeable.
Small Pruning/Sheepsfoot blade
Bottle Opener/Large Screwdriver/Wire Bender
Can Opener/Small Screwdriver
Awl/Reamer
Corkscrew
Toothpick
Tweezers, with old metal end instead of newer plastic
Keyring

At first I thought it was a serrated Spartan, but then I found it had the Small Pruning blade, which threw me a curveball. If anyone could help identify this knife, I would greatly appreciate it. I've already tried the tool selector on SOSAK with no luck.

Sounds like an old Picnicker. Is the main blade stamped "Elinox"? Does it have a wood saw?

If you post pictures of the front and back with the tools open I can tell you exactly what it is and when it was made.

us Offline 8paguilar7

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 01:19:55 AM
Hey jazzbass!

Thank for the response, I thought that was it too, the Picnicker, but it doesn't have a saw. Just two layers with back tools. Looks just like a Spartan but with a serrated blade and small pruning blade. Here's the largest picture I was able to tale. Hopefully it helps.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 01:46:25 AM
So when I said "old Picnicker" I should have said "original Picnicker". The first version of the Picnicker model came without the saw. Later models added the saw and kept the same name, as Victorinox is wont to do. 

This one here is either a custom run made for someone (most likely) or a mod (possible, but less likely). Looks to be an mid 70s model. Is the main blade stamped "Victoria Officier Suisse" or just "Officier Suisse" on the back?

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 01:57:04 AM
I have a similar model (plain blade) made for a Swiss shooting club. Will go with JazzBass's 'original Picnicker' since I have no info on it. Mine was picked up new at a gun shop in Zurich in the early 90's.

Nice find!  :tu:
IMG_2530.jpg
* IMG_2530.jpg (Filesize: 219.95 KB)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:01:08 AM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 02:05:34 AM
8paguilar7 - can you post a picture of the top of that knife. I know you say there's not a saw, but I swear from the picture you posted I see a layer in between the openers and the blades. Maybe I'm just seeing things, but I wonder if there's either a saw hiding in there (happens ALL of the time) or the saw broke off at some point and that's why you don't see it.

I have a similar model (plain blade) made for a Swiss shooting club. Will go with JazzBass's 'original Picnicker' since I have no info on it. Mine was picked up new at a gun shop in Zurich in the early 90's.

I have that same one! Picked it up on eBay a couple years ago. It would be a great regular model IMO.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 02:07:07 AM by jazzbass »

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 02:40:22 AM
Jazzbass,

Minor correction; the shooting club knife was more likely picked up on a 2005 trip to Switzerland.  :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%