Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I kinda want a Surge...

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
I kinda want a Surge...
on: October 05, 2012, 10:19:47 AM
Talk me into/out of it.

Come on guys and gals!
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: I kinda want a Surge...
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:26:39 AM
It's too big

It rattles

The saw and file are too short due to the tool changer set up

Money better spent elsewhere in my opinion .... others will disagree  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 10:48:44 AM
To be honest, its only the early models that rattled. Later models supposedly don't, although the only one I have handled is my own, and its an earlier model.

I like the Surge, but it is big- and I mean BIG. Its not the biggest tool out there but it is quite a monster.

The exchangeable blade system kind of sucks though.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 10:50:46 AM
It has some good features, like the exchangeable screwdriver bits, saws, file, but the real heavy duty LM tool is the ST300, though it does not have scissors and replaceable bits. (apart from the pliers cutters!).

A Wave will cover most things the surge does, in a smaller package.

edit:spelling of heavy
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:03:29 AM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
I kinda want a Surge...
Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 11:01:15 AM
I have a Charge TTi already, so a wave is sort of redundant.

I handled a surge the other day and thought is seemed quite nice...

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 11:04:20 AM
big and bulky to lump about but if you want a big set of pliers the surge has them !!!
the scissors, or should i say 'shears' are awesome !
an awl is always handy.
the blade exchanger thingy is quite cool, but..... and it's a mood kill for me, it's best to use a pouch to carry the tool so you can carry the 'file' and a selection of 'saw' blades. then i tend to have the driver bit kit in there too. now we're talking heavy as a brick ! although how many other 'multis' give you the ability to have a 'metal saw', or be a bit rough with the wood saw (ie. cutting things you know will damage the teeth) hell you can always get a new blade later if you hit a nail etc.
I also am not a fan of the sharp(ish) edges on mine, and i find the 'blade exchanger' digs into my hand while using the straight edge knife blade.
I'm probably not helping here am I  :facepalm:
YES i like it, but it's not perfect, well not for me !I prefer the wave but i'm still looking for the love of my life !
but go.... go get a 'SURGE' you know you want to  :ahhh

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 11:33:48 AM
I thought it will be good to throw in a comparison picture between a Wave, a Surge and an ST300
IMG_5740.JPG
* IMG_5740.JPG (Filesize: 157.91 KB)

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 11:37:36 AM
I thought it will be good to throw in a comparison picture between a Wave, a Surge and an ST300
I notice the 'wave' is the one that is dirty ! i think that speaks volumes ?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 11:43:31 AM
I notice the 'wave' is the one that is dirty ! i think that speaks volumes ?

:D The Wave and the Surge were bought used (lightly). The ST300 was new. The only one I am actually using is the ST300.

us Offline TMFKAMJ

• Uh... I'm back to look around
Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 04:42:40 PM
BUY IT MAN! BUY IT!! :twak: stop thinking! its a huge, heavy beast of a tool but it's amazing!  :D Oh BTW i love the blade exchanger i stole the idea from (i think it was )J-sews and Def when they made the sawzall blades fit in the lanyard hole of a charge tti ( 8) ), i made mine in the blade exchanger. So stop over thinking it just do it!
Anyways hope this helps  :angel:
hi

us Offline SuzukiGS750EZ

Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 05:11:10 PM
I love mine. The saw is the SAME SIZE as that on a wave and such. If you plan to carry it with a clip, dont plan on it being solid. I like the exchanger though, but the tool is big. When running out, i just throw my wave with clip in my pocket, but for woods or long trips, the surge comes.

Offline landwomble

Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 05:28:41 PM
I really like mine.  It's a bit big if it's your only multitool, but it's built like a tank.  The pliers are awesome, the build quality is great, and the blades are really really good.  Hold a great edge and come shaving sharp out of the box.
get the bit kit with it and a pouch and you've got pretty much anything you might need in one tool.  I'd say realistically a bit heavy and sizeable for EDC but a great thing to have around.
I had a Wave before and even that I thought was a bit large for pocket carry, so I figure you might as well go with one that's a man size...!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 05:54:52 PM
Just think of all the chocolate covered chocolate Kendal mint cake you could be waiting a few months for instead  :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 06:57:09 PM
There's no doubt the surge is big. BUT it's a puppy in comparison to the Gerber Freehand.
Now that is a Beast   :ahhh :ahhh
Still, I think the surge is great - if I could, I would carry mine, but here in the UK I'd get locked up for a very long time. - I don't want that!  :cry:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 07:09:33 PM
I HAD two. ;)

While it's an awesome tool but I never could get along with it. None of mine rattled though.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 02:18:12 AM
It's too big/heavy for regular guys. I suppose it's good if you use tools for a living, but for those who don't it's way overkill. Mine sits in storage, don't think I've even used it once.

us Offline Yalius

Reply #16 on: October 06, 2012, 03:39:23 AM
It's my main EDC, along with a Select Fire. I love that it has just about every option I might need if I'm in a crawlspace or attic and find out I need a saw... or a torx bit... or a heavy pair of scissors... or whatever. And if I'm one-handed for some reason or other, nearly all the tools, even the inside ones and the pliers, are one-hand accessible. And the tactile markings make it easy to find a tool I need even if I'm on my back, one handed, with a headlamp and can't bring the tool to my line of sight. The ruler markings provide outstanding grip even in gloves or with damp or dusty hands. The size and weight are... well, considerable, but for belt carry, it's no big deal. I've never felt like I was asking more of it than it was able to handle. It's a tank and keeps on going.

I suppose if you're pocket-carrying, you would likely not appreciate it very much, but in sheer utility, handiness, and git-'er-done-ness, you can't go wrong.

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
I kinda want a Surge...
Reply #17 on: October 06, 2012, 04:27:35 AM
The surge is well built and well designed but when compared to other multis like a charge/wave swisstool the surge just seems unnecessarily big.
:)

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #18 on: October 06, 2012, 04:39:43 AM
Get both mate  ;) :D standard & camo versions  :P :D :D.

I love my Surge(s) , I think the blade exchanger is a definite plus for me  :tu:.
It is a big brute though  :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: October 06, 2012, 04:54:57 AM
If you don't want to be missing a standard tool, the SURGE is the way to go.  I have nearly every Leatherman made, and use them.  If you are looking for a heavy duty tool to use, there is nothing wrong with the SURGE.  If you want to stare at one, let these guys talk you into an orange WAVE or FUSE. 

us Offline Hypnos3510

Reply #20 on: October 06, 2012, 08:11:07 AM
I love my surge, it was my first leatherman and one of my favorites.  I have put it under a lot and it even out cut my powerlock.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 02:57:58 PM
Big, bulky and heavy. That's the Surge! Just like the other big tools. But if it's nice to handle like what you said,and fits your hands, I say go for it. ;)

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 03:19:15 PM
Big, bulky and heavy. That's the Surge! Just like the other big tools. But if it's nice to handle like what you said,and fits your hands, I say go for it. ;)

(Image removed from quote.)
fwarrr ! Big is beautiful !

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 02:50:05 PM
Too big to EDC?  Nah.  I started using a Surge as my weekend EDC this weekend.  It rides in my pocket with the pocket clip very nicely. 
Tick Magnet

00 Offline Kukamunga

• drool, *drool* for cool multitoolz
Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 06:04:51 AM
I love my Surge.  I'm not in the trades or in a position to use it *every* day [though I try to find an excuse]; I'm merely a lowly house owner.  Personally, I LOVE the size and weight.  If it didn't really pack what it does have, that would be a different story, but it's great.  Wait, did that sound right?

As stated, the Surge's one-handed capabilities are substantial.  Man, are those knives sharp.  Gloves within reasonable thickness parameters are no problem, save maybe getting the scissors out.  Also as mentioned - get the whole bit kit and you are definitely set.  Biggest Leatherman pliers.

In terms of color...unless you're going to check your teeth in the reflection of the stainless steel version - be a man and get the black oxide version.  Batman would.  And remember, once you go black... :facepalm:

Omigod...I am so sorry...

Really, you can't go wrong unless you've got hip and bad back problems and you plan on belting the tool.  It's truly awesome!
...nothing in his pockets but knives and lint...

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
I kinda want a Surge...
Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 07:16:48 AM
Hmm. The crowd seems undecided...

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 02:38:10 PM
Of all the leathermans I've used the surge has the most comfy handles when using the pliers. I love my charge ti but when some jobs are too much for it, the surge will eat them for breakfast. Scissors and awl, boom. I keep the file and saw in the sheath and carry a hacksaw in the exchanger. When used as intended the wire cutters will cut through and not tear like the replacable ones on the st3 and with less effort. The outside opening tools sit flush with the lower edge of the tool and not the middle line of the handles.

The scissors have a long handle and short cutting area. Once your grip is sorted they are great, OHO and will hack through most anything. I like the tapered handle on the st2 and st3 over the brick style of the core and surge. And I also liked the serrated blade on the st2 better as well, the one on the surge works fine just doesn't look as good.

I've never liked how the surge looks. For me though, it more than makes up for it in ability. I like how simple and rugged the core or st3 is. I figured the surge was riced up and most probably going to give out before long but so far I have been wrong and it is rock solid just like the others.

Some say size doesn't matter, but there are times when it does and when that happens you want to be able to say you've got a bigger one.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 10, 2012, 11:44:34 PM
Hmm. The crowd seems undecided...
I looked at Surge over the weekend; I did an outdoors training class on fire and cordage methods, and one of the other people there had one.  It was nice, very high quality, but seemed like a Wave on steroids.  I wasn't all that impressed in terms of the tool selection and all, compared to a Wave.

I have a BO ST300 and it's a great tool.  The lack of scissors isn't an issue for me because I always have a SAK of one kind or other on me.  Hard to beat the replaceable cutters, and if you want to carry a BIG multi, may as well go with one of the biggest, eh?  :D 

I say get an ST300 instead of a Surge.  Just my two pence.  :)
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline tattoocharge

Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 05:51:04 AM
I say go for or it. I EDC one and use it everyday. I carry it on my belt and its no bother to me. If your gonna be a bear be a GRIZZLY!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 08:52:37 AM
Someone said GRYLLS Bear?  :salute:

* knife-bear-grylls-uses-285.jpg (Filesize: 13.98 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%