Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

tomahawks for $50 or less?

us Offline TMFKAMJ

• Uh... I'm back to look around
tomahawks for $50 or less?
on: October 08, 2012, 02:53:38 AM
I think i want a tomahawk   :D so I thought i'd ask the experts here. i'm looking for something around the  $50 ( £31 ) range. It'll be used mostly for camping stuff like chopping down small bushes to clear a site, chopping small firewood, ect. . I know a hatchet would work better but i kinda just want a tomahawk  ::) . I know about the sog's and that cold steel one anything else im missing? thanks in advance guys cause im helpless when it comes to axes/hatchets/tomahawks :)
hi

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Re: tomahawks for $50 or less?
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 01:58:34 AM
You can probably get them for less than that if you are willing to go with United Cutlery or the like, but... really? You can do better for not much more.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 02:05:14 AM
Hawks aren't the best choice for chopping wood. They are really a weaponized version of the classic wood cutting implements. Because they are designed for fighting they are faster and set up for piercing rather than chopping.

If you want something for light camp chores there are a variety of low cost hatchets available at almost every hardware or outdoors shop.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline TMFKAMJ

Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 05:41:00 AM
Hawks aren't the best choice for chopping wood. They are really a weaponized version of the classic wood cutting implements. Because they are designed for fighting they are faster and set up for piercing rather than chopping.

If you want something for light camp chores there are a variety of low cost hatchets available at almost every hardware or outdoors shop.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
I guess maybe if a hatchet would do the job better id be ok with it. stupid question: you can hammer with the back end of a hatchet right? or would it slip or break something?
hi

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 07:39:26 PM
If you really want a Tomahawk?  :viking:

But I'm not sure if these are available yet?  :think:

http://www.estwing.com/ao_black_eagle_tomahawk_black.php

Everything’s adjustable

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 07:46:46 PM
I like the look of the British Belt Axe as sold by Ragnar: http://www.ragweedforge.com/ThrowingCatalog.html

No idea about the quality or if it would really suit your needs though. :shrug:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 07:55:38 PM
That looks nice Gareth  :tu: also reminds me of the cold steel version
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 01:10:49 AM
I don't know if I agree with the statement that 'hawks are weapons, any more than I agree to a similar claim about a one handed folder when I hear it. They aren't as heavy as a hatchet, but they don't both fill quite the same niche- the comparison is like comparing a Mora to a big blade like the RTAK. The 'hawk evolved in a culture were a chipped stone axe would be used for limbing and the detail work with wood, along with processing meat, in much the same way that we would now use pruning shears. The heavy wood processing we westerners associate with a full sized axe, iron axe was more done with fire and wedges.

Trying to use a 'hawk with a sub-pound head at a substitute for a hatchet with a pound and half worth of head can be done, but remember to let leverage be your friend with chopping and if you want to split a lot make some wedges. Same as you would with a large fixed blade and a baton; personally I say a 9-12 large knife is in a very similiar niche and is in many ways interchangeable when working with wood. But if you want it to be a substitute for a smaller axe, say in the 2-2.5 pound range, irr... no, the 'hawk will fail worse than the hatchet will.

The "weaponization", well, thats something that everyone here should know is a matter of intent. I'd rather hit someone with a hudson bay or boy's axe (or a flanged mace) than a tomahawk.

Oh, and Jack- yes, you can hammer with the back of a hatchet. It's not the best hammer, but you can do it.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

us Offline TMFKAMJ

Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 03:18:34 AM
I like the look of the British Belt Axe as sold by Ragnar: http://www.ragweedforge.com/ThrowingCatalog.html

(Image removed from quote.)

oh I like the look of that! i like the viking ship builders one too  :tu: there both under $50 but the viking ship builder is out of stock

Oh, and Jack- yes, you can hammer with the back of a hatchet. It's not the best hammer, but you can do it.

ok thanks i was thing mostly for pounding tent stakes into the ground or the occasional macgyverish quad or go kart fix  :)
 BTW how well does a machete baton through wood?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 03:26:50 AM by multi jack »
hi

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 01:38:31 AM
Depends on the machete- they are designed for clearing brush and vines, not chopping wood. I've broken or bent a couple of cheap machete's batoning, but that is the fault of the user. It can be done, but I'd get a good one and, honestly, a shorter one- IMO the length and the flexibility is what got me.

us Offline TMFKAMJ

Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 06:44:29 AM
Depends on the machete- they are designed for clearing brush and vines, not chopping wood. I've broken or bent a couple of cheap machete's batoning, but that is the fault of the user. It can be done, but I'd get a good one and, honestly, a shorter one- IMO the length and the flexibility is what got me.
Where i camp/ride (california  high desert area if that matters to anyone) i guess from what ive learned now i think a hatchet would be better because it might not be as good at bush clearing but i don't want to bend a machete batoning through firewood. maybe i could get a sog entrenching tool too  :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 07:44:17 AM by multi jack »
hi

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 03:04:41 AM
How about a half hatchet?  Axe head with hammer back.  Eastwing calls theirs a Carpenter's Hatchet.  It would seem to be a good compromise for stake driving and occasional chopping.
r_carpenters_hatchet.jpg
* r_carpenters_hatchet.jpg (Filesize: 31.08 KB)

us Offline TMFKAMJ

Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 06:22:26 AM
How about a half hatchet?  Axe head with hammer back.  Eastwing calls theirs a Carpenter's Hatchet.  It would seem to be a good compromise for stake driving and occasional chopping.
that looks good for what i wanna do! and its $40 so when i get some more knife money ill definitely look at it as were going back into riding/camping season  :)
hi

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 07:57:39 PM
I'm a bit in getting to this thread  :oops: but ...

(Image removed from quote.)

... it says they're cast in 410 stainless, which for me is two big negatives ... cast and stainless ... when it comes to any kind of axe type tool. I did some work with some very large stainless casting many years ago, which I'd been assured had been subject to a special heat treatment process which increased the ductility for high pressure applications. Unfortunately they were bent, and an attempt to straighten them caused one to break violently sending several tonnes of stainless casting several metres in three different directions. I no longer trust stainless castings, no matter what the boffins say. Thankfully no one was hurt, but one guy probably wished he brought a spare pair of clean underwear to work that morning  :whistle:

Otherwise it looks very nice  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 10:37:15 PM
For your use , I'd just get an Eastwing hatchet , preferably with the blue handle . Cuts well , and very usefull . The stacked leather handle is OK , but doesn't like water very much . The hammer works OK , but wouldn't be my choice for protracted nail driving .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD