Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cycling EDC

us Offline stealth007s

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Cycling EDC
on: October 09, 2012, 03:34:20 AM
Anyone who cycles, what do you carry when you cycle? Could be anything from a cycling computer to spare tubes.

I never leave home without the following:

On the bike:
- Wahoo Fitness Bike Pack (iPhone case, speed/cadence sensor, battery extender and Blue Heart Rate Monitor) with my iPhone 4S in the case that mounts to the stem. I use the Wahoo Fitness app to record my data and post to Strava to view it. I will be upgrading to the new Blue SC sensor soon.
- At least two water bottles (Camelbak Performance Bottles or Clean Bottles). One with plain water and another with Hammer Endurolytes in it. Longer rides, I carry four, one of which has Hammer Perpetuem two of them with Hammer Enduratlytes and one plain water. Two on the frame and two behind my seat. The behind the seat rig is the Minoura double water bottle mount with two Elite Custom Race cages.
- Topeak Road Morph Pump with Guage mounted to the left seat stay.

In my tube bag under the seat:
- Spare tube and repair kit
- LM Charge TI with spare bit kit
- tire levers
- extra zip ties (various sizes)
I want to "replace" the Charge with a Crank Bros Multi or something of that type. The Charge with the bits is a little bulky.

In my rear jersey pockets:
- Hammer Endurolytes tube with extra Endurolyte tablets (for longer rides)
- Hammer Lips- a chapstick like product
- Hammer Gels- usually in the plastic flask. One for short rides and two for longer.
- a small plastic ziplock (pill size) with ID, debit card and $20
- cafe cleat covers for my shoes if I have to get off and walk or go into a store or something
Other gear:
- Plantronics BackBeat Go bluetooth headphones- I only keep one speaker in my ear so I can hear verbal cues from my cycling computer (No, I don't listen to music while riding)
- Giro Saros helmet
- Mavic Avenir cycling shoes
- Depending on the weather I will carry arm/ leg warmers (red Capo Roubaix) and shoe covers (Mavic Thermo Plus)
- Oakley Jawbone sunglasses (Infra-red frame with white jaws, blue thru bolts and white ear socks) lenses vented black iridium with a spare (usually vented persimmon) set of lenses and micro-fiber bag in one of my rear pockets in my jersey
- cycling gloves- Canari Evolution
- Depending on the route I will carry the Ruger LCP

I also own numerous cycling jerseys, shorts/ bibs and socks that I rotate through. I currently own an Orbea Aqua road bike with about 800 miles on it. It is a beginner model as I just got back into cycling since retiring from the Army. I use to do it off and on while I was serving but my schedule didn't allow for much of it. I am hoping to upgrade in the spring to carbon fiber, not sure what make or model yet though (Cervelo is looking mighty tempting right now).

Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Cycling EDC
Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:44:25 AM

LM Micra or Gerber Dime, some water, maybe a small camera, phone.
No special clothes.
At night a good torch attached to the handlebars (Romisen RC-T601, Trustfire TR-3T6, Ultrafire C8).

20+ year old bike.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:14:10 AM
im off for a mountain bike ride this am so its easyer to take a pic  :D   :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 02:13:41 PM
well it was a wet and cold day, lots of mud and big puddles  :D  here is a pic of my stuff, not including tube under my saddle and altoids tin with batteries in my backpack i forgot to get out, although was pouring down  :-\ if on my road bike i just have the saddle bag with tube,tire levers and my p4,

stopped here and had a chat with sparky  :D

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 07:51:51 PM
Way to KIS (Keep It Simple) dks!¡!

Nice setup and bike Zed. You carry all that in a backpack, right? I tried the mountain bike thing in Oklahoma, didn't work out so well for me. We have a course on the installation I was assigned to there (Ft Sill). It had a hill called the "Kevinator" that broke me down. I'm not sure how long it was but it felt like a mile of downhill riding over extremely rough terrain, very steep and very fast; not good at all. I was on my brakes the whole way down (with a death grip) and I was terrified  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh . I will stick with the 50+ mph downhills on a road any day.

This is good stuff here folks!¡! You can list your gear like me and dks or use images like Zed. It doesn't matter to me......... Post away  :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

Terry

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 11:01:56 PM
i dont tend to take too much with me when cycling - ill regret it one day i know!

i wont list my stuff right now but think i have learned is buy a track pump and make sure your tyres are the right psi before heading out  :tu: sometimes saves you from unwanted and unnecessary flats

roadie and slowly getting back into montain biking
I

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 05:00:13 AM
i dont tend to take too much with me when cycling - ill regret it one day i know!

i wont list my stuff right now but think i have learned is buy a track pump and make sure your tyres are the right psi before heading out  :tu: sometimes saves you from unwanted and unnecessary flats

roadie and slowly getting back into montain biking

Not bad at all to minimize gear. I am ALWAYS an overpacker for EVERYTHING (ask my wife or anyone that knows me). I actually forgot about my CO2 inflation system (air chuck for presta valves with CO2 attached and two spare cartridges) I carry in the tube bag under the seat (large tube bag). Yes, I know, I carry a pump as well but I've been in situations where I ran out of CO2 (bad day moment).

Terry

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 10:01:17 PM
why carry the Co2 if you have a pump? more to carry plus a pump always never runs out! (can understand Co2 in a race situation i guess)

what clothing do you wear? now its getting colder im starting to look for jackets /long jerseys
I

Offline stantrb

Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 10:24:02 PM
Crunch and some bits.  Those locking pliers are invaluable on the trail.

S.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 10:41:37 PM
Yep stealth all in my backpack,although i usualy use my hydration pack for mtb'ing but sometimes its a squeeze ,my road bike is a much lighter set up but i prefer getting off road and away from the crappy car drivers around here   :D

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 11:05:43 PM
why carry the Co2 if you have a pump? more to carry plus a pump always never runs out! (can understand Co2 in a race situation i guess)

what clothing do you wear? now its getting colder im starting to look for jackets /long jerseys

I have numerous cycling jerseys, bibs and shorts. For the colder weather I just use arm/ leg warmers by Capo Roubaix and fingered gloves. I have the Showers Pass Club Pro Jacket for riding in the rain (not a habit but I tend to enjoy it). It doesn't get too cold here but when it does it's not good to be out on a bike because it's usually freezing rain or the occasional snow.

Crunch and some bits.  Those locking pliers are invaluable on the trail.

S.

You have a bit driver on your Crunch???  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh  :gimme:  :gimme:  :gimme:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I would love to see it, if you do. Also, what driver did you use to put it in the Crunch?

Yep stealth all in my backpack,although i usualy use my hydration pack for mtb'ing but sometimes its a squeeze ,my road bike is a much lighter set up but i prefer getting off road and away from the crappy car drivers around here   :D

Yeah, I heard y'all don't have bike lanes? One of the pros I follow on Strava was furious about that when doing his time trial/ pre race recon for the Olympics. Here in Texas, as with most of the colonies, we have feeder/ access/ frontage roads (roads that are parallel to the main highway but slower) that are nice to ride on at times. Some cities, like Austin, where I'm from have actual bike lanes and cars have to yield to the cyclists (well, they're suppose to). Those aren't on major highways, of course, but on some very busy roads.

I attached a photo of myself the day I bought my Orbea. I rode it home from the shop, only 13 miles or so. It was one of the proudest moments of my life.

IMG_0019.jpg
* IMG_0019.jpg (Filesize: 344.21 KB)

Terry

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 07:41:23 AM
Bike lanes are a must. The good thing is that in my area there are some new bike lanes that lead to large parks/forests, suitable for cycling. (cycling for me is just for fun).

Cycling on minor roads is OK, but cycling on main roads here is too dangerous, as Bicycles on the roads are not common, so no respect is given to cyclists.

I used to cycle a lot more, for short distances, in the UK, especially when going to the city centre, but cyclists on the road were pretty common there.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 07:52:04 AM
Very nice bike steath  :tu: we do have the odd cycle track but there isn't enough and most drivers don't give a smurf for cyclist,although I've raced most type of bikes over the last 30 odd years its mtb'ing that I've grown to love over the last 23 years. I've had some great adventures off road and seen some amazing scenery . :tu:

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 09:55:10 PM
going mountain biking tomorrow, going to take a rucksack with a spare tube, pump ( and shock pump as still setting it up) chain tool bike multi tool (has most allen keys i need and screw drivers) a couple of cans of coke a rain coat and probably lunch! will have water bottle on my bike

havent been brave enough to fit clipless pedals to the mountain bike yet!
I

us Offline danbomb

Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 06:32:37 PM
I ride 10 - 14 miles every night and carry more stuff than I do during the day. I have a leatherman OHT that has come in handy as well as a bike allen key mutitool. The absolute most important thing at night is a strong headlight and a red tailight. It makes things so much safer cars make a noticeable effort to stay away from you. My headlight is a maglite pro and my tail light is a superflash. I do much of my riding in industrial areas on my way to the park and avoid traffic as much as possible. This really keeps the stress level down and makes riding way better.
I used to have a mini pump and carry a tube until I discovered slime. The combination of thick tubes and slime make it possible for me to run over pickers and crap without worry. Slime does such a good job I rarely have to put air in my tires.
I also have a paramilitary 2 and a Fenix L10 on me when I ride.
w

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 08:46:20 PM
Hey S-man007... been meaning to make a post here, but have been lazy...   :whistle:

My cycling toolkit is a Crunch, a 4" adjustable Crescent wrench, a trio of nylon tire levers, a spoke wrench, a chain tool, a self-adhesive patch kit, a spare tube, and a set of individual Bondhus hex wrenches.  That all lives in a dedicated pouch that I strap into a spare waterbottle cage.  I also carry a small pump on my frame.

Usually on my person is at least one SAK with pliers (they are awesome for digging stuff out of tire treads when fixing flats), and a regular MT.  Used to be my Skele CX until I lost it, so lately it's been my S2.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 01:47:21 AM
Great idea to carry the Crunch. Until the other day, I had no idea the Crunch had a bit driver capability. All this time I've been carrying the MTs that had that capability only. Totally changes the way I think about my EDC overall not just for my bike. Having the vice grip capability and bit driver is huge for me in my EDC.  :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

Terry

us Offline getahl

Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 06:41:13 AM
I don't bike often, but here 's the tool kit I've cobbled together:

LM Style PS - I like the spring loaded pliers to remove thorns and prickly bits from my tires.
4 inch Crescent wrench
Stubby bit driver for the #2 Phillips bit. Also has a slotted driver, but don't think there are any slotted screws on the bike.
5mm Allen key/hex wrench. These bolts are everywhere!
Small patch kit, which does me no good since I need to pick up a frame mounted pump
2x lever wrenches, to remove tire and tube from the wheel
I need a chain tool, too

Other bits and bobs:
Spyderco H1 serrated rescue salt, in black. I don't know why I bring it, just do. Being a sheepsfoot blade, it would be great in an emergency.
Orange Camaelbak MULE, with 3L reservoir
Chapstick

ca Offline KDX

Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 06:48:18 AM
I bike the same 18 mile route every day (except for late fall through early spring) and all I take is a cell phone and a water bottle. If I get a flat I call my wife and she picks me up with the truck. I guess I'm not very self sufficient but it's all pavement and I haven't had a flat for over a year.

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 08:42:26 PM
I don't bike often, but here 's the tool kit I've cobbled together:

LM Style PS - I like the spring loaded pliers to remove thorns and prickly bits from my tires.
4 inch Crescent wrench
Stubby bit driver for the #2 Phillips bit. Also has a slotted driver, but don't think there are any slotted screws on the bike.
5mm Allen key/hex wrench. These bolts are everywhere!
Small patch kit, which does me no good since I need to pick up a frame mounted pump
2x lever wrenches, to remove tire and tube from the wheel
I need a chain tool, too

Other bits and bobs:
Spyderco H1 serrated rescue salt, in black. I don't know why I bring it, just do. Being a sheepsfoot blade, it would be great in an emergency.
Orange Camaelbak MULE, with 3L reservoir
Chapstick
Look for a small frame pump called the "morph".  They make a road and a mt. version.  I have the road version.  The nice thing about it is that it's got a small fold out foot-peg on it, so you can hold it down with your foot while you're inflating your tire; lets you get a lot more air pressure in a tire that way, than just trying to hold both pump and handle in your hands.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 03:44:34 AM
My cycling EDC has been based on a Cool Tool for many years.  Now that I have a new bike the Cool Tool will no longer work because it will not fit some of the fasteners that are used on newer bikes.  I am starting to acquire the items for a new cycling EDC based on Heinz's kit.  Today  ordered one of these to carry everything in.  Next on the list is a Crunch.

http://www.cagerocket.com/dry_spod.htm
Tick Magnet

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 10:22:07 AM
Here's a short vid on the pump that I use.

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 03:53:31 PM
Same pump I use Heinz

Terry

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 08:09:44 PM

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 12:40:42 AM
Sorry for necroposting. I bought one of these after my chain broke in the middle of nowhere and I couldn't fix it. http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Tools/hexus2

I wish there was a separate "Cycling" section on this forum... for Cycling EDCs etc...  :whistle:

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 01:17:46 AM
I recently dropped the Charge and spare bits for this

I got this to replace my Leatherman Charge Ti and Spare Bit Kit in my under seat bag on my bicycle. This fits great in my jersey back pocket. Here are the specs of the tool from where I bought it at biketiresdirect.com

The b17 Multi-Tool includes the most-used bike tools in an innovative and compact package. Magnetic driver bits lock into either of the two drivers located at the corner edge of the tool body. When not in use the driver bits are held in rubber sleeves on the tool body that fold in for a compact size and to lock the bits in place so they don't get lost.

In the center of the tool body is a chain tool with spring-loaded removal. Once removed, the chain tool features a magnetic hex that fits into the driver for a better grip and leverage. 230 grams.

Includes:
1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8mm Hex Wrenches
T10 and T25 Torx Wrenches
Flat and Phillips Screwdrivers (Two sizes each)
#0 and #1 Spoke Wrenches
Chain Tool

Terry

Offline hiljentaa

Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 03:32:18 AM
Depends on the distance I'll be riding, but mainly:

-4,5,6 mm Allen wrenches.
-Co2 inflater.
-Tube.
-Patch kit.
-Tire lever.
-Chain breaker and extra links. (Usually just on longer rides.)

-Water bottle and food (usually seeds/nuts).

-Phone, credit card, ID, $20.

I took my multi tool apart to mod it awhile ago, and haven't put it back together yet. :facepalm: When I get around to that, that'll replace my loose Allen wrenches and chain breaker.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 03:39:23 AM
Depends on the distance I'll be riding, but mainly:

-4,5,6 mm Allen wrenches.
-Co2 inflater.
-Tube.
-Patch kit.
-Tire lever.
-Chain breaker and extra links. (Usually just on longer rides.)

-Water bottle and food (usually seeds/nuts).

-Phone, credit card, ID, $20.

I took my multi tool apart to mod it awhile ago, and haven't put it back together yet. :facepalm: When I get around to that, that'll replace my loose Allen wrenches and chain breaker.

Please don't forget to post pictures of you mod when you get it put back together! 
Tick Magnet

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 04:37:35 AM
well it was a wet and cold day, lots of mud and big puddles  :D  here is a pic of my stuff, not including tube under my saddle and altoids tin with batteries in my backpack i forgot to get out, although was pouring down  :-\ if on my road bike i just have the saddle bag with tube,tire levers and my p4,

stopped here and had a chat with sparky  :D
(Image removed from quote.)

Zed, what bars are those? When I first bought my Specialized Rockhopper it had rolling bars on it. For some unknown reason I went with a tapered flatbar, might of been when getting the Girvin Flexstem. Been trying to get back into riding, did a messily 4 miles to the dentist and back home today and am not liking the flatbar at all.

What I had before as a handlebar. Am so going back to a curved bar again!

Did go with this wide cruiser seat because it had no horn. Being over-weight a horned saddle was making me black and blue between the legs. Horrible sight, didn't feel very well either.
  The horned saddle is great in that it keeps your butt planted whereas the hornless cruiser seems to be throwing me onto the bars. Yeah, I know, you aren't supposed to be on the saddle much. Am seriously out of shape and need to get back into shape, so cutting corners where I can and trying to save on gas too.  :tu:

What do y'all use for cycle computers? Had a cheaper XLC but lost the instructions and even the company that made it doesn't have them. Today I pulled the meter off to get trip data; distance, trip time, average speed, top speed, ect. and the stupid thing was blank! It did add to the odometer, that was all. Grr.

Used to have a horseshoe shaped Cateye back in the day, the year they came out with a solar version. Wished had gotten the solar one, but they were very expensive.

Have to get a valve core tool yet... seems most bicycle supply sections do not have them, neither does the automotive sections. Those plastic valve core tools fail. Recently replaced the inner tubes with a sealant type, and one of the valve cores was in there probably at 40 fp! Broke both plastic valve core tools that came with the tubes. After locating a metal cap version it would not budge it either!! Grabbed the sidewall of the metal core cap with my Charge TTi and got the valve core removed!!! Gawd, someone was either bored or hated cyclists that day.

Looked around at the so-called cycle tools at Wally's World, Bi-Mart, all heavy cast and over $30. Not one have a valve core tool either.

Have always partially inflated the tube, squeezed and bounced it, then popped the valve core. Repositioned for a straight stem, then inflated it up to pressure. As one time had a pinched tube and sounded like a M80 going off when I got on the bike. Valve core remover works way better than pressing the stem and waiting for the air to escape enough.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 04:46:04 AM
I just use my iPhone 5 and the Wahoo Fitness app for recording. I use Strava to post the data for viewing. When I had the iPhone 4S, I used the Wahoo Fitness bike pack. That was a case for the phone that mounted to the handle bar and a combo speed cadence sensor. I also had the spare battery pack made by Wahoo for the case. I still have the Wahoo Fitness equipment that only has some short use on it of anyone is interested in it.

I want to get the Wahoo RFLKT so I can view the data while I ride (my iPhone is in my back pocket in the jersey). I still can't pull the trigger on a $500+ Garmin 810 :think: or $650+ for the combo pack. THat's what everyone's using now for cycling computers though I'm told.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 04:53:41 AM by stealth007s »

Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31