Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cycling EDC

us Offline MeadMaker

Re: Cycling EDC
Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 05:16:32 AM
I just use my iPhone 5 and the Wahoo Fitness app for recording. I use Strava to post the data for viewing. When I had the iPhone 4S, I used the Wahoo Fitness bike pack. That was a case for the phone that mounted to the handle bar and a combo speed cadence sensor. I also had the spare battery pack made by Wahoo for the case. I still have the Wahoo Fitness equipment that only has some short use on it of anyone is interested in it.

I want to get the Wahoo RFLKT so I can view the data while I ride (my iPhone is in my back pocket in the jersey). I still can't pull the trigger on a $500+ Garmin 810 :think: or $650+ for the combo pack. THat's what everyone's using now for cycling computers though I'm told.

I have only seen a few cyclists with Garmins on their handle bars, but I am riding in an event next month that will have about 700 riders.  I'll keep an eye out to see what people are using

I use my Galaxy S3 running Endomondo mounted in an Otterbox belt clip that is zip tied to my handlebars.
Tick Magnet

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 06:21:33 AM
I just use my iPhone 5 and the Wahoo Fitness app for recording. I use Strava to post the data for viewing. When I had the iPhone 4S, I used the Wahoo Fitness bike pack. That was a case for the phone that mounted to the handle bar and a combo speed cadence sensor. I also had the spare battery pack made by Wahoo for the case. I still have the Wahoo Fitness equipment that only has some short use on it of anyone is interested in it.

I want to get the Wahoo RFLKT so I can view the data while I ride (my iPhone is in my back pocket in the jersey). I still can't pull the trigger on a $500+ Garmin 810 :think: or $650+ for the combo pack. THat's what everyone's using now for cycling computers though I'm told.

I have only seen a few cyclists with Garmins on their handle bars, but I am riding in an event next month that will have about 700 riders.  I'll keep an eye out to see what people are using

I use my Galaxy S3 running Endomondo mounted in an Otterbox belt clip that is zip tied to my handlebars.

Are you going on The Great Owyhee Ride Against Hunger on Saturday, June 15th 2013?? Wanted to go but doubt will be ready in a month.

Wanted to ride at the 7th Annual Weiser River Trail Bike Ride on June 8th, but is too early for me. I would have to ride 10 miles a day to prep for that.  :rofl:   If I only had a recumbent, then would be way easier. Have that big computer muscle (tummy) to contend with, and weighing in at 365 pounds only helps when going downhill.  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 12:56:20 PM

Are you going on The Great Owyhee Ride Against Hunger on Saturday, June 15th 2013?? Wanted to go but doubt will be ready in a month.

Wanted to ride at the 7th Annual Weiser River Trail Bike Ride on June 8th, but is too early for me. I would have to ride 10 miles a day to prep for that.  :rofl:   If I only had a recumbent, then would be way easier. Have that big computer muscle (tummy) to contend with, and weighing in at 365 pounds only helps when going downhill.  :D

Those both look like fun events, but since they are about 2000 miles from my home, I'll have to find some rides that are a little closer.

I'm riding the 62 mile course in the Tour de Taylor http://www.tourdetaylor.org/ on June 15 and I plan to ride a century in the fall, but haven't chosen an event yet.  One possibility is the Apple Cider Century http://www.applecidercentury.com/   I've ridden the ACC a few times, but that was back in mid 1990's.

Congratulations on getting back on the bike Xelkos. 
Tick Magnet

Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 04:25:50 AM
  It's rough staying motivated on a bicycle, but had a lot of encouragement today. Saw a geezer at 65+ on a carbon fiber racer, and seen his training bike today clipped on his Yakima rack. He was a skinny ol' fart.

Saw another fellow in his late 40's, with spare tires on the sides, be bopping it down the sidewalk. So didn't feel too old really. Then got home and neighbor looked at me quirky like, asked if I was losing weight. Said only been on the bike a couple of times but didn't think I was losing weight...  :think:

Also in need of new tires, so going to put some standard Trek ones on when they come into the shop, and told the fella I wanted curved handlebars. Them flat things are not comfortable anymore.
  And Joe looked at my saddle and said it was for a different style of bike and that's what is throwing me into the bar. Either get a cruiser or try a different saddle. He's got a saddle coming in that has cut-out in the middle, and is hoping the horn is not nearly as wide. It comes with a 60 day warranty on the saddle, and Joe said he won't quibble about refunding the money if it doesn't suit me.

So now it is a waiting game on the parts. Hope the Rockhopper has enough cable for the curved bars, otherwise that's going to re-cabling.  :ahhh

Did order a Sigma BC 1009 Bicycle Speedometer off of Amazon a bit ago. The wireless one looked great, but chose the wired version. Had read a few comments on Amazon that the higher powered LED bike lights will interfere with wireless transmitters. Not that I could afford any of these lights, I cannot foretell the future either. So going wired, and will find some silicone sealant to reinforce the wire on the sensor.

Where can one find plastic/nylon spiral wire harnesses at? The ones I have are old, but are great for protecting wires on the cycle computers. Cateye was good at supplying spiral wiring harnesses back in the day. Did not like what Cateye had for computers now, 'cept maybe the Endura.
¬ Outback in Idaho

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #34 on: June 02, 2021, 02:42:21 AM
 :tu:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: June 02, 2021, 06:37:35 AM
I ride a 'bent so it's probably somewhat different, I carry more for a start, you can't just sling it on your shoulders and walk with it if things go pear shaped out in the wild. Ask me how I know.

Water bottle, lights, spare folding tire, inner tube, LM Charge with bits, spare brake and gear cable, puncture kit, chain breaker and a few links, spare battery for front light, emergency matches, emergency survival blanket, strap on walking pole, mini sun cream, tissues, sunglasses and probably some other stuff I've forgotten. I'll add water as needed, gets hot out here and my regular bottle only holds 1L.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: June 02, 2021, 10:31:47 AM
I ride a 'bent so it's probably somewhat different, I carry more for a start, you can't just sling the bike on your shoulders and walk with it if things go pear shaped out in the wild. Ask me how I know.

Water bottle, lights, spare folding tire, inner tube, LM Charge with bits, spare brake and gear cable, puncture kit, chain breaker and a few links, spare battery for front light, emergency matches, emergency survival blanket, strap on walking pole, mini sun cream, tissues, sunglasses and probably some other stuff I've forgotten. I'll add water as needed, gets hot out here and my regular bottle only holds 1L.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Reply #37 on: July 24, 2021, 02:39:55 AM
  Best cycling computer I've found which is fully customizable across multiple screens is a CooSpo BC200. Can lock in on multiple sensors.
  Picked up a XOSS G+ computer last year, which is smaller. Has better GPS tracking, and seems to only track or show two sensors, cadence and hear rate. Heart rate sensors can be either chest or arm versions.
  Waiting for a newer CooSpo to appear. It uses the XOSS app as well, and this one is smaller in screen then the BC200 yet larger than the XOSS G+. Hoping it will appear on Amazon Vine this month.

So a GPS driven cycling computer, with sensors pickups, is a near must have.

Out here I'm the only one that gets seen as much. Friend Roger does well too, though I think my rear lights are better and I have far more reflective items to be seen. I also run a GoPro 6 Black on the left Versa bar, and maybe a 360 camera on the right. A contact found a 360Fly 4K on eBay, old new stock, for $50. Hope it's not the lesser version... but the fella knows these things and they can export 360 videos to YouTube and Facebook.
  And the older GoPro Session 4 square camera goes in the back.Have to recharge it a lot more, but I can plug it into an external power source for power longevity.

Lighting, day/night strobe effects, reflective brightly-colored vertical (not fish poles) flags are a must.

I run a AirZound horn, have a frame bag to store 1 pound lithium battery to charge device and phone when needed. The headlamp battery weighs another pound although can light up the nigh for 12 hours or more. Carry a newer Ryobi air pump with a disconnected battery, two spare tubes, snake bite kit, first aid kit, essential bike tools, few hex wrenches, and a bike chain tool.Also have a medium pill container of spare parts, valve stems, extra SPD cleat, scabs, missing links.
  All these stored behind the seat of the recumbent trike in a special bag, and also have an older version of a Tern bicycle rack that is invaluable for its features. Has a handle in the back which makes loading and unload the trike much easier.
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 24, 2021, 03:31:25 PM
Phone, wallet, keys, Vic Spirit, tube, cycling folding hextool, wrench, snacks, water, folding poncho.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

ca Offline N05J3W3

Reply #39 on: August 03, 2021, 01:04:23 AM
Depends on the bike and the ride, but usually a minimum of: spare tube and CO2 inflator, tire levers, master link, boot and patch kit, Crank Brothers multitool, cel phone, wallet. And more water than I think I'll need. Where I live and ride, it can be a long way back to 'civilization'.

On the right kind of day, riding down the coast, with panniers mounted: blanket, picnic, dry clothes, the works.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%