Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite basic SAK?

cbl51 · 83 · 8932

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Re: Favorite basic SAK?
Reply #60 on: October 28, 2012, 05:12:25 PM
Restricted to two layers on a stock SAK:

• Compact
  • Classic SD and Pioneer.

either way, I get scissors and T&T, but with the Classic & Pioneer, I get the robust tools of the Alox line plus the scissors and T&T on the Classic.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #61 on: October 28, 2012, 09:46:41 PM
I feel like a freak, I like the Spartan. :)

I'm with Steinar  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #62 on: October 28, 2012, 09:51:58 PM
Not sure what we're defining as basic, but I'd have to say the Alox soldier.  Hard to get more down to the basics than the issue model.  I'd also throw in the Pioneer (same thing) and Cadet.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #63 on: October 28, 2012, 10:49:12 PM
Not sure what we're defining as basic, but I'd have to say the Alox soldier.  Hard to get more down to the basics than the issue model.  I'd also throw in the Pioneer (same thing) and Cadet.

Well my answer of 84mm golfer was based on the OP's question of favourite two layer SAK. Since then the Yeoman came into the equation which I prefer even more, but it does come down to what people's basic requirements are I suppose. To me scissors are a basic requirement, and I only carry a SAK without if I have another decent option on me. Golfer, Traveller, Pocket Tool Chest, Yeoman are all regular carry, as are Classics and a Manager. If I'm out and about hiking or camping, to me a saw is a basic requirement, and if I haven't got one on my SAK I'll have another on me of some sort. I'm sure for some people though, having a Swiss Champ is a basic requirement  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

spam Offline donalddarko

Reply #64 on: November 23, 2012, 09:16:33 AM
I swear by my Vic Tinker. I'd really like to see Victorinox make some one/two layer SAKs comparable to the Waiter and Compact, but with a phillips driver instead of a corkscrew.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #65 on: November 23, 2012, 09:25:31 AM
I swear by my Vic Tinker. I'd really like to see Victorinox make some one/two layer SAKs comparable to the Waiter and Compact, but with a phillips driver instead of a corkscrew.

How about the Duke of Edinburgh Pocket Tool? It has a rounded blade though.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: November 23, 2012, 12:02:19 PM
Although I tested a Compact my "basic" SAK is still a Spartan - i believe this is because it was my first (although that could  have been a 84 tourist, too) and i consider it "THE SAK".
it serves my daily cutting needs, i use it for light prying, poking and so on and teh toolset is right for my needs. And i did not even question it until i came here....
From there on it was a downward spiral that you know too well.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: November 23, 2012, 01:55:34 PM
Tourist and Compact for me during the week,on the weekends its a differnet story, I like the carrying the big guys.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #68 on: November 23, 2012, 02:27:55 PM
I'd have to go with Lumberjack. (Especially Alox Lumberjack).  I need a saw way more often than I need scissors.

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #69 on: November 23, 2012, 02:36:30 PM
I'd have to go with Lumberjack. (Especially Alox Lumberjack).  I need a saw way more often than I need scissors.

What do you find yourself using it for? I mean.. obviously some kind of saw-work.. but, in more detail. :P

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #70 on: November 23, 2012, 03:39:43 PM

What do you find yourself using it for? I mean.. obviously some kind of saw-work.. but, in more detail. :P

On the farm, to clear errant branches and vines off the bridle paths and off fencelines and gates.  When we're out on the trails, it's extremely handy to remove irritating branches that are at the right height to dismount a rider.

Sometimes at creek crossings, there's a root that is oriented where a horse or runner could catch a foot and get injured. 

In these settings a pocket saw makes very quick work of the offending vegetation.

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #71 on: November 23, 2012, 04:27:37 PM
Ah yeah, sounds like it would come in handy then. :tu:

I find myself in an urban environment most of the time and hardly ever see the need of a SAK saw tbh. At least not nearly as often as a pair of scissors.

no Offline dagelias

Reply #72 on: November 23, 2012, 04:47:03 PM
My favorite is the Original Electrician! witch I got today!  :mail: ;)

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: November 23, 2012, 05:48:08 PM
To me , a basic SAK , is like paying a hooker for conversation . I want one with lots of tools , like a Handyman . There isn't a gadget on my big SAK's that hasn't seen use !

Is that a big SAK in your pocket , or are you glad to see me ?

Chris

spam Offline donalddarko

Reply #74 on: November 23, 2012, 07:11:59 PM

How about the Duke of Edinburgh Pocket Tool? It has a rounded blade though.

I looked into that knife, and while it has the tool configuration I want, the rounded blade is a deal breaker for me.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Favorite basic SAK?
Reply #75 on: November 23, 2012, 07:20:26 PM
That's my attitude too. The bigger the better, as long as it fits at hand and it is usable. But one needs something more pocketable when he isn't able to carry a bag or a belt seath. I found that I can carry in the lower inner left pocket of any suit an Executive, Cadet, Spartan and, surprisingly, Harvester, without the SAK revealing itself, while a mini SC on the car keys isn't a burden at all in any pocket. If I could carry the XLT that way I wouldn't hesitate. Wearing a suit the manicure tools (scissors, nail file) are of great importance. A scissored alox cadet would be great, because the 58 and 74mm scissors can't manage my nails easily.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: November 24, 2012, 09:17:16 AM
To me , a basic SAK , is like paying a hooker for conversation . I want one with lots of tools , like a Handyman . There isn't a gadget on my big SAK's that hasn't seen use !

Is that a big SAK in your pocket , or are you glad to see me ?

Chris
I too, tend to prefer my SAKs either big, or small.  I don't currently own a single SAK that's less than 6 layers, or more than 3.  The middle size ones just don't do it for me.  The only mid-size SAK I'd really like to have would be an Explorer modded with a pliers layer added in.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: November 24, 2012, 02:20:46 PM

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #78 on: November 24, 2012, 03:02:31 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Oh.. just the model Syph and I were walking about a while ago.

Care to post some more pictures of it from different angles?

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: November 24, 2012, 03:04:52 PM
Mock up only.

se Offline Northern Geek

Reply #80 on: November 24, 2012, 03:08:01 PM
That's just cheating! ;)

Thanks for the picture though. Still really like the tool selection of that mod.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: November 24, 2012, 03:18:04 PM
That's just cheating! ;)

Thanks for the picture though. Still really like the tool selection of that mod.

Yes it is. I thought I could inspire Heinz to finish his.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: November 25, 2012, 07:32:04 PM
That's just cheating! ;)

Yes it is. I thought I could inspire Heinz to finish his.
Agh!   :ahhh  I know... I've been so lazy about getting mine done...   :facepalm:

I actually have some outside work to do today around the house... mostly bagging up yard waste and other junk to be hauled away. 

I was planning on doing some work on reshaping the handle of my Golok too, so I suppose I can find time to do a little work on peening the ends of the pins so I can start assembling my Yeoman...  I've got all the parts now, and I managed to save enough bushings that I can start putting it together, so I guess I better get my carcass moving and get some more done on it! 

I hope I'm not letting the cat out of the bag here, but Syph told me he was working on making his own Alox scales...  I'd love to have an Alox Yeoman... hopefully it wouldn't be much thicker than a cellidor Compact, so I could carry it in one of the side tubes of my Skinth SP.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%