Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Razor knives

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Re: Razor knives
Reply #60 on: March 24, 2008, 04:24:41 AM
I put my SAK away today and carried my Lowe's razor knife.
Well that lasted until about 5 PM. Then I started getting anxious and got my Farmer back in my pocket and all was good.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline SxS

Reply #61 on: March 27, 2008, 02:06:21 AM
"I admit it. I have a thing for razor knives. I don't know why, I just like 'em..." Calvin

To me, they have pretty much (functionally, for me) squashed any need felt for all the other relatively expensive and beautiful every day carry knives available. Always replaceable and always sharp; I use the "Gold" blades (by Lenox) in both of the folders below and consider them as valuable as the upcoming Skeletool Cx's blade combining the best of both styles:

http://www.lenoxtools.com/enUS/Product/LOCKING_TRADESMAN_UTILITY_KNIFE.html 
http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(hjbo2n55pu0yrkaqrbqxvc55)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=998007520 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 05:32:03 PM by SxS »

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #62 on: March 30, 2008, 12:01:07 AM
Where is that locking tradesman knife made?

I bought a 5 pack of those Lenox gold blades and put them in my Craftsman retractable razor...they don't fit in my Stanley :P
[

Offline SxS

Reply #63 on: March 30, 2008, 01:21:37 AM
Not sure where it's made; yet it does feel solid and surprisingly nice in the hand with rubber-like side grips (also locks at a 45). Some pooh-pooh the entire Gold series; yet I feel that Lenox puts out a decent product that one can cut or saw with some level of confidence.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #64 on: March 31, 2008, 11:53:34 AM
Hey Kreskin, how is this Kobalt razor knife(top) compared to the blue aluminum one(bottom)? I have the bottom one. I love it but the top one just looks a little nicer.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

DTH, sorry I didn't back to you earlier. The top one is basically a big chunk of steel, VERY heavy duty and heavy (195g). The lanyard slot at the bottom could probably crush a few hundred skulls and not show any signs of wear. :o

It is a very nice tool, has a steel pocket clip on the back, rubber inserts on the handle and comes with a belt sheath. I can't remember what I paid for it but it was only money. :D

Calvin

[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #65 on: April 03, 2008, 02:48:36 AM
Is there a folding razor knife out there that has a really good locking mechanism for the blade itself?  The Husky razor knife I have seems really sketchy in regards to how well the blade will stay in place...

And a little bit of info I didn't know before about the Superknife that I was looking into getting;
7. What is the warranty on Superknife products?
Superknife branded product is warranted against factory defects in workmanship and materials for a period of 1 year from date of purchase. Upon notice in writing, Gerber Legendary Blades will promptly repair or replace the defective product. Warranty does not cover equipment damages resulting from abuse, damage in transit, or other damage beyond the control of Gerber Legendary Blades.

[

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: October 23, 2008, 12:19:32 AM
It's close to Halloween so I'll bring back a dead thread.

I've been EDC'ing my Lowes Kobalt Razor knife again for the last few days. I got to noticing I used it all the time with stuff I didn't want to use my good knives for. Mainly cutting cardboard and stuff like that. So I dropped it in my pocket Sunday Morning and I've been carrying it since then. And I must admit that I really like it despite it being cheap and unrefined.

I'm fairly good at sharpening but I can't get my SAK's as sharp as these razor blades. And it's so easy to pop the blade out and replace it when it gets dull. I may stick with this for a while. The only thing that I can't do with this as well so far is cut food, it's a little short for that but I manage.

The Lowes Kobalt is a beast. It's a big heavy duty knife and I have 100% confidence in the locking system AND the system that holds the razor in place. It's big tough and unrefined, like an old school pickup. It is also a little rough around the edges so I may get the stainless steel one because it looks just a bit smoother.

I have a Vic Classic and a little key shaped thing that holds a flathead and Phillips head screw on my keychain. I have a P-51 in my wallet. Between these I have enough tools to get through most days. I have extra razors in my junk drawer at home and a pack in my car so I always have a fresh blade should I need it.

http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: November 07, 2008, 02:08:25 AM
Great topic. I really don't have that many razor knives but I do have a Superknife and a Superknife 2 (w/gold lenox blades).  I EDC the Superknife everyday.  I originally had the "patent pending" version that held the blade in place with a screw but then I switched to the push button latch version.  The SK2 is also a bit bigger and has the thumb wheel lock which I'm not a big fan of so I don't use it very much.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 02:10:04 AM by PyroJames »
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: November 21, 2008, 05:29:17 AM
I'm still carrying the razor knife. With the stuff on my keychain I can handle 99% of what I come across. I'm gonna go buy a smaller keychain model for "formal" occasions. We're moving so it's getting a LOT of use lately.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: December 08, 2008, 05:03:11 AM
I got a new razor knife yesterday. It's the same as Kreskin has above, the real nice stainless steel one for Lowes. Mine came in a value pack, you got the razor knife and a lockback folder for 8 or 9 bucks. The regular razor knife is usually 12 or 13 bucks. I LOVE this thing, it's even heavier than the blue Lowes one I have. The folder that came with it is was worth the money I paid for it, free.  :D The thing I really like about this one is that it will lock hold of the razor on the second hole meaning I have more cutting surface. I will take pics later to show what I mean.

I also got a little keychain razor knife too, from Lowes of course. It takes these little bitty blades and is of limited usefullness. But it's perfect when you're wearing a suit and a tie but still want a razor knife. I've been EDC'ing a razor knife for over a month now and I'm really loving these little things. No more sharpening and I don't have to worry about damaging the blade cutting something I shouldn't. Plus they're a LOT sharper than I could ever sharpen a knife.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #70 on: December 08, 2008, 05:24:52 AM
I need to replace my Husky brand knife...the tiny bolts that held the clip on don't screw in anymore..the holes are stripped :P

The original clip was wiggly after a while of use..so I retrofitted the clip from a Gerber Paraframe on it and it worked for a long time before it loosened up again. 

I know what you mean, these are the definition of "beater blades"...I've seen one that held another few blades in the handle also.  I'm not sure it is worth the extra size/weight, but it was interesting.
[

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #71 on: December 08, 2008, 05:38:26 AM
I know what you mean, these are the definition of "beater blades"...I've seen one that held another few blades in the handle also.  I'm not sure it is worth the extra size/weight, but it was interesting.

I got one like that, its okay. The storage compartment is on the wrong side so blocking the thumb disk for right handers, no one hand opening on that. I think I paid $8 for it, decent quality for the price.

Although if I were to choose again I'd go with the regular version and keep spare blades elsewhere.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #72 on: December 08, 2008, 10:13:16 AM
I really love my tiny Lowes blade. It is perfect to just thow into your pocket when going out. Plus it does stay on out entertainment center. I use th thing all the time to open Clam packs and cd cases.
S

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: December 08, 2008, 11:18:25 PM
.I've seen one that held another few blades in the handle also.  I'm not sure it is worth the extra size/weight, but it was interesting.
My keychain model has this and for this size I like it. It actually makes it a little easier to hold and those little blades aren't the best so having a few extra is great, OTOH I don't like the larger knives with them. They're simply too bulky. I keep a pack of 10 replacement blades in the glove box of the car so wherever I'm at I have extra.

us Offline inkster

• Administrator
  • Administrator
Reply #74 on: December 10, 2008, 08:43:48 AM
I been using a blue husky for a while, as well as a generic one here and there.. I do like the Husky.   I actually have touched up the blade on a sharpmaker (white stones)  works awesome, and quicker than changing it, believe it or not.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #75 on: December 11, 2008, 05:31:36 PM
Tajima Handy Saw - Link

I use mine as a tang saw for Scandi knife handles. The come with a snap-off blade stored in the handle.
tajima03.jpg
* tajima03.jpg (Filesize: 40.63 KB)
tajima04.jpg
* tajima04.jpg (Filesize: 35.29 KB)

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: December 11, 2008, 08:18:57 PM
I like that.

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #77 on: December 12, 2008, 07:21:28 PM
Kreskin13,
I don't see a Superknife in the collection,  surely you have to have one of those.   I beleive they started the "folding" ultility knife craz.

nutnfancy

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #78 on: December 12, 2008, 10:37:31 PM
Kreskin13,
I don't see a Superknife in the collection,  surely you have to have one of those.   I beleive they started the "folding" ultility knife craz.

nutnfancy

opps,  I meant Nutznboltz.......  been watching too much of that guy.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #79 on: December 12, 2008, 10:38:52 PM
Kreskin13,

nutnfancy

Yeah his stuff is a bit adictive isn't it :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #80 on: December 12, 2008, 10:54:50 PM
Kreskin13,

nutnfancy

Now there's a knife collector.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #81 on: December 12, 2008, 10:56:39 PM
Kreskin13,

nutnfancy

Now there's a knife collector.
He must have a much better job than me that's for sure :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #82 on: December 12, 2008, 11:06:37 PM
Kreskin13,

nutnfancy

That guys videos are superb.  :tu:
I'm back!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: December 13, 2008, 01:17:08 PM
My next "gotta have" is a Superknife but it's gonna have to be a while. It was a fight buying my last 2.  :( :(

Offline Nutznboltz

Reply #84 on: December 14, 2008, 01:15:29 AM
The superknives are my favorite type of razor knifes, I used them daily at my job for the last four years without fail.  The SK2 version is the best.  It uses a roundel instead of a thumb stud to deploy the blade and it also acts as the locking mechanism for the blade.  The roundel rotates to release the locking tab and the blade just pops out for quick change.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%