Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kershaw LEEK?

us Offline getpower

• More money, younger women, and older whiskey
Kershaw LEEK?
on: March 05, 2008, 07:23:05 AM
I am sure that this is the wrong place to post this. But I am also sure that the mods will forgive a first-time offender and let me off with a warning.

So, here goes:
I have had a Kershaw Scallion for a few months and have had my eye on getting a Leek. There are three things that I want to know (or two, depending on how you count).

First question, if I buy the regular brushed stainless steel knife, can I polish it with a Dremel tool and make it look chrome or really shiny?

Question two and three (or more of your opinions): Should I get the Leek with the serrated blade, or the straight blade? Obvious answer would be serrated right! But I am worried about the serration not being able to get sharpened when it gets dull (thats the same issue that I have with my scallion).

Is there any place that sharpens the serration too? Can I send my knife to Kershaw and get the whole thing sharpened once every couple of years? I know that just using a steel rod will hone the knife and that should last a while. But like I said, what about the serration?

Offline bobofish

Re: Kershaw LEEK?
Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 08:37:05 AM
First off, there's an "Edged Tool" forum down the page a little on the main window. I'm sure the mod's will move this thread shortly.

Second, I don't see any reason why you couldn't dremel the body of the leek to make it shiny. You would however have to be better than most people with the dremel; most people will put scuff marks all over the metal rather than shining the whole thing. Personally I would leave it as is. If you really need it shiny, a combination of sandpaper, buffing cloths and the dremel with a buffing bit will be your huckleberry.

Lastly, to sharpen the serrations get yourself either a Spyderco Sharpmaker, as one of its primary strengths is the easy ability to sharpen serrations on the corners of the rods. Alternately, get yourself an EZE-Lap sharpening rod, either in pen style or fold out style. This is a slightly more ghetto way to sharpen serrations, but it works and costs around 5-10 dollars. DMT also makes good fold out rods for more money.

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe the Leek comes in a full serrated. For that you'd have to go to Spyderco. I guess for lack of knowing the entire catalog by memory you could try a full serrated Native as a substitute for a smallish knife like the leek.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 02:48:54 PM
I'd stick with a plain edge, but that's a matter of personal choice.  The plain edge will do everything a serrated edge will do (although be less effective at some jobs) while the serrated edge will be more effective on about 1/3 of jobs, adequate for another third and virtually useless for the last third.

If you are having a problem with the Scallion, don't get the Leek the same way because you will certainly have a problem with it too.  Besides, by getting the opposite blade type, you have the best of both worlds.

There are many companies that will sharpen your blade for you, plain or serrated.  In fact, if there are any malls near you that have stores that cater to higher end cookware, they will often offer a sharpening service.  The best idea is to get yourself a good quality sharpening kit and learn to use it.  DMT and the Sharpmaker (that sounds like a cool name for a 50's rock band! :D) are excellent choices, as is a Lansky system.  The Lansky isn't as convenient as it takes more time to set up, but it is almost completely fool proof and guaranteed to give you an excellent edge.

As for buffing and polishing, make certain that you cover the edge of the blade with something to protect your fingers.  I use a small amount of masking tape and put several layers over the edge to protect it and me.  You can still cut yourself if you aren't careful, but it does help quite a bit.  You may also want to look into a good set of mechanic's gloves which will add a certain amount of protection while still giving your fingers freedom to move and retaining tactile feel.

It doesn't matter how sharp your knife is, or how pretty if you've severed all the nerves in your hands and can't hold them anymore!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 02:53:55 PM
I polished my kershaw storm to a mirror finish with dremel, but it was so much pain in the ass I'd never do it again.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 02:59:46 PM
I was thinking the same thing after doing the Little Bird! :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 09:17:37 PM
Def, I have the same gloves with a mini LED light. The Mechanics in yellow though!
B

Offline kent ct

Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 12:55:16 AM
  First post,

I have experience buffing small and difficult parts. Anything with an edge that the buffing wheel can catch on can be dangerous but the fix is easy. just place the knife edge on a flat board and hold it there. If you go over the edge with the wheel it only contacts the board and will not catch on the edge of the knife. This is also the way to polish any thing that has a large hole like a clock bezel which can really grab. You will also need a stick of emory polishing compound to charge the wheel with. Use a soft cotton buffing wheel charged with the emory and keep it moving to keep things even. Do not use a rubber wheel charged with abrasive like Brightboy as it will be impossible to keep things uniform. If the finish is too satin you may have to first sand with wet and dry paper in the finest grades you can find. Use it wet.

Polishing in the flat is a real art and is done quite well on the SAKS, but is very much below the standards set by the watch industry.

Hope this helps,
Richard

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 01:15:41 AM
Welcome to the forum Richard!  That sounds pretty helpful.  Where were you last week when I was doing it to that Little Bird? :D  Boy that sounds dirty... :ahhh

LM123- those gloves are the greatest.  I wear them fairly often when doing any kind of work where you need to find a better balance between protection and dexterity.  I have a few gouges in my fingers from where the wire brush on the Dremel tool slipped and bit me- not enough to draw blood, but removed a few layers of skin and made them pretty tender.  I wish I hadn't been so lazy as to decide it wasn't worth the effort to dig them out and wear them! :D

Def

us Offline Splat

Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 01:51:18 AM
Question two and three (or more of your opinions): Should I get the Leek with the serrated blade, or the straight blade?

I just got back into knives last year and asked myself the same question... serrated or plain-edged?  I work in a hardware store and need to cut various materials such as rope, tubing, plastics. I've found a plain edge can definitely cut most, if not all, the same materials as a serrated knife. It might take one or two cuts more with the plain-edge, but it will do the job. I now buy plain-edged blades.

Is there any place that sharpens the serration too? Can I send my knife to Kershaw and get the whole thing sharpened once every couple of years? I know that just using a steel rod will hone the knife and that should last a while. But like I said, what about the serration?

I don't know if Kershaw does customer resharpening but you can get a sharpener by DMT made for sharpening serrations. It's easy, IMO, but also serrations don't go dull as fast as a plain edge so I wouldn't worry too much about that yet. You can also get something like a Spyderco Sharpmaker that can do serrations and plain edges. Good luck whatever you decide to go with and remember... you can come here when/if feeling guilty about all the $ you will spend on knives. :multi:
Splat

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 01:58:38 AM
Question two and three (or more of your opinions): Should I get the Leek with the serrated blade, or the straight blade? Obvious answer would be serrated right! But I am worried about the serration not being able to get sharpened when it gets dull (thats the same issue that I have with my scallion).

If you don't have the time/inclination to get a system for sharpening the serrations I would say get the plain edge. Plain edges are also a lot easier to repair if you (accidentally) end up cutting into the dirt while gardening, finding metal wires reinforcing a rubber gasket and so forth.

Unless you work on a boat, it is my understanding that nautical knife use demands a serrated edge.

Offline bobofish

Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 02:02:41 AM
Exactly; for nautical use a serrated edge is invaluable, but for 90% of everything else a plain edge is either perfectly usable or better than serrated. The main appeal of serrated knives for the general public is that they will rip your tomato into mush after 10 years of no sharpening. Of course I prefer my tomatoes to be sliced.

Kershaw does offer sharpening. If you are lucky enough to live in the Portland area, you can drive to the factory in Tualatin and they will sharpen it to you gratis. Kershaw is also known for the good sharp edges they put on their knives. I seem to remember that they are one of the only knife companies that also sharpen serrations for customers for free. Don't quote me on that. I imagine shipping your knives to them involves a $5 handling fee or some such.

Offline crls1

• I do Exist!!!!
Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 02:51:19 AM
Maybe you want to try the Eze - Lap 571 t sharpen serrations on a knife, is very easy to use and the price is very affordable

Carlos
(

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 08:18:16 AM
Unless you work on a boat, it is my understanding that nautical knife use demands a serrated edge.

Can help with sawing through some of the tougher lines & bones, but otherwise there's not really any special reason for serrations on a boat.

I get by more or less fine with a plain edge.(though I do have a Serrated Sheepsfoot on board somewhere)

I advocate the Plain Edge for our thread-starter is Plain edge, it's less confusing.

A combo might be alright, but I don't recommend being stuck with only Serrated edges.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 10:50:41 PM
I have the Kershaw Leek in the rainbow coating! I have about six other Kershaws: Whirlwind, Chive, Steven Seagal knife, Vapor, E.T, rainbow Scallion, and lastly a Blur!
B

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 02:46:07 AM
I always wanted a rainbow leek! But no local source and I didn't want to pay shipping for just itself.

us Offline Splat

Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 03:56:54 AM
I always wanted a rainbow leek! But no local source and I didn't want to pay shipping for just itself.

Where you located?

I love the rainbow Leek. I really must exhibit self control when I see one because I have bigger bills to make before buying another folder.
Splat

Offline scibeer

Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 05:26:25 AM
I have a couple leeks (rainbow and the black with gold hardware).   They are great knives.   Amazing slicers with a very useful blade shape.

My vote is on the plain edge.    Serrations are for steak knives (and OHT's!)   The leek blade sharpens up so well it scares me. 

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 11:06:23 AM
Ok I want to see this rainbow Leek.  Can you take a few pics for us LM123? :)
I'm back!!

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 06:42:28 PM
Where you located?

I love the rainbow Leek. I really must exhibit self control when I see one because I have bigger bills to make before buying another folder.

Heh, that's the other thing keeping me back as well, already have some knives and got other bills to pay.  :(

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 09:02:57 PM
I will try to take some on the weekend!
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 11:51:26 PM
I will try to take some on the weekend!

Great! :)
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99