Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Artisan

GigaHz · 24 · 3194

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: Artisan
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 01:48:54 PM
Sure looks like it, an 84 with scissors doesnt show up that often.  Thats alot of money for the condition of those SAKs though.. at least in my opinion.  I mostly hunt down swiss champs lately though, that part cost works out best that way.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

no Offline dagelias

Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 06:32:21 PM
and they are all mine... ;)  :mail:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 09:10:52 PM

Congratulations on the win.  :tu:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 03:53:30 AM
We demand pictures once you've cleaned it up! The Artisan is one I've been looking for for years.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

no Offline dagelias

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 11:07:43 PM
 :sak:

Congratulations on the win.  :tu:

thanks!

We demand pictures once you've cleaned it up! The Artisan is one I've been looking for for years.

ya, I will post some pictures! ;)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 11:18:39 PM
While I'm digging out names, the 'Artisan' was more commonly known as the 'Craftsman', 17-014. The horn-handled version was known as the 'Golfer' (where have I heard that name before?).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 11:24:20 PM by ColoSwiss »

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 11:47:55 PM
While I'm digging out names, the 'Artisan' was more commonly known as the 'Craftsman', 17-014. The horn-handled version was known as the 'Golfer' (where have I heard that name before?).

Yep - I have the same info. These are actually the most common of the 4+ layer 84mm knives and I've managed to find some either with their original box or NIB. The one box from the early 1950s and the one from the mid 1960s are both marked "Craftsman". All the US catalogs I've seen call it a Craftsman. "Artisan" comes from the French-Canadian translations, and has become a good "collector's name" for these, as there are already two 91mm variants also called "Craftsman". The "Salesman" is another example of this - these knives were almost always sold as a "Super Tinker", but Salesman is a good name to use to avoid confusion with the modern 91mm model of the same name.

If you see "Artisan" or "Salesman" in an eBay ad, there's a good chance the seller is either a member here or they get their info from SakWiki.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 12:27:13 AM

Yep - I have the same info. These are actually the most common of the 4+ layer 84mm knives and I've managed to find some either with their original box or NIB. The one box from the early 1950s and the one from the mid 1960s are both marked "Craftsman". All the US catalogs I've seen call it a Craftsman. "Artisan" comes from the French-Canadian translations, and has become a good "collector's name" for these, as there are already two 91mm variants also called "Craftsman". The "Salesman" is another example of this - these knives were almost always sold as a "Super Tinker", but Salesman is a good name to use to avoid confusion with the modern 91mm model of the same name.

If you see "Artisan" or "Salesman" in an eBay ad, there's a good chance the seller is either a member here or they get their info from SakWiki.
I agree with the above (a little iffy on the Golfer designation though), but I just want to clarify that there seems to be quite a few boxes also labeled Artisan.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 12:34:16 AM
They are also sometimes called the Fieldmaster (Small), but that sounds like midget backwoods rapper.

"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 02:00:06 AM
They are also sometimes called the Fieldmaster (Small), but that sounds like midget backwoods rapper.

Yep, that's what the only boxed one I came across was named. :tu:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 03:06:14 AM

I agree with the above (a little iffy on the Golfer designation though), but I just want to clarify that there seems to be quite a few boxes also labeled Artisan.

This apparently came from some catalog, but I don't know exactly what. The use of 'bone' rather than 'horn' may be indicative.

IMG_2564.JPG
* IMG_2564.JPG (Filesize: 61.87 KB)

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 03:20:30 AM
Found it (page 4). Scanned by a certain individual who's memory is almost as bad as mine.  :D

(Getting old is rough, but it beats the alternative)

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-browse_gallery.php?galleryId=90

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 02:55:55 AM
Found it (page 4). Scanned by a certain individual who's memory is almost as bad as mine.  :D

(Getting old is rough, but it beats the alternative)

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-browse_gallery.php?galleryId=90
Oh that one, sounded like you had other references as well.  Maybe like "bone" this is just a catalog printing error, although the other weird names in the catalog have proven to be accurate for the region.   :salute:

gr Offline MARIOS7319

• Happiness depends upon ourselves. Aristotle
Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 01:03:07 AM
I really want to see the photos of them.

no Offline dagelias

Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 03:24:25 PM
So the knives came today! I`ll probable post pictures Friday! ;)

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 03:55:26 PM

The Artisan - which saw does it have? 35 tooth polished, 35 tooth unpolished, or 25 tooth unpolished?

no Offline dagelias

Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 09:00:14 PM

The Artisan - which saw does it have? 35 tooth polished, 35 tooth unpolished, or 25 tooth unpolished?

25 tooth, and it looks polished... It is probably not  ???

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 09:50:33 PM
25 tooth, and it looks polished... It is probably not  ???

I doubt it. I've never seen a polished 25 tooth saw. Victorinox stopped polishing the saws in the early 1960s, before the current saw designs came out. I've never seen the 84mm 25 tooth saw and the 91mm symmetric 27 tooth saws in full polish. You'll find the previous versions - the 84mm 35 tooth saw and the 91mm asymmetric 27 tooth saw - in both polished and unpolished versions.

no Offline dagelias

Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 04:04:37 PM
So here is the ARTISAN:
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
hele_kniven_rezised.jpg
* hele_kniven_rezised.jpg (Filesize: 116.69 KB)

no Offline dagelias

Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 04:05:58 PM
Some more pic:
enden_rezised.jpg
* enden_rezised.jpg (Filesize: 8.42 KB)
kniv_rezised.jpg
* kniv_rezised.jpg (Filesize: 48.62 KB)
liggende2_rexised.jpg
* liggende2_rexised.jpg (Filesize: 80.16 KB)
Logo_resized.jpg
* Logo_resized.jpg (Filesize: 44.31 KB)

no Offline dagelias

Reply #21 on: November 17, 2012, 04:06:54 PM
And some more!
PAT_rezised.jpg
* PAT_rezised.jpg (Filesize: 61.32 KB)
sag_resized.jpg
* sag_resized.jpg (Filesize: 42.94 KB)
skrujern_resized.jpg
* skrujern_resized.jpg (Filesize: 35.79 KB)
venstrefunksjoner2_rezised.jpg
* venstrefunksjoner2_rezised.jpg (Filesize: 53.36 KB)

no Offline dagelias

Reply #22 on: November 17, 2012, 04:07:39 PM
okay last pic... ;)
victoria_rezised.jpg
* victoria_rezised.jpg (Filesize: 55.78 KB)

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 06:09:07 AM
If they brought that back, especially with a keyring, they'd be able to sell a lot of them.

Such a sadness.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%