Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Power Assist?

us Offline sjdep97

Power Assist?
on: March 08, 2008, 05:05:30 AM
Have any of you guys picked up a SOG Powerassist yet? I'm anxioous to see what the reviews are on it, looks very interesting!! 8)
NRA Life member

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Power Assist?
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 09:06:41 AM
Bob and I saw three prototypes of the Power Assist at the SHOT Show this year and I doubt we'll see a production version any time soon.  It appeared as if they were still working on an acceptable lock mechanism that would both keep misfires and accidental foldings to a minimum.  With an assisted opener you need two locks- the last thing you want it is to fire off in your pocket!   :o

I have some other concerns about the design we saw, but hopefully they will be reformulated before it sees production.  I'm certain if I see an issue, so will SOG.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 04:13:42 PM
In case you missed it, here are some pics and impressions we got of it at the Shot Show:  http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,3671.0.html
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 05:21:23 PM
I am eager to see this as well.  Hope they get all the bugs out soon.
I'm back!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 06:08:49 PM
I'd rather have two "regular" one handed opening blades like those on the Wave.  Who needs spring assisted opening on a multitool ???

Too gadgety for me.
[

Offline bobofish

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 01:01:39 PM
Who needs spring assisted knives on a multitool? He who has too much time and too little sense, retarded monkeys, also Batman.  :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 05:24:24 PM
Who needs spring assisted knives on a multitool? He who has too much time and too little sense, retarded monkeys, also Batman.  :D

And sad folk like me that just like the concept and like tools to play with.  :D
I'm back!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 07:03:14 PM
Remember that the multitool industry is most often considered an offshoot of the knife industry, so expect manufacturers, especially knife manufacturers, to try to incorporate various "knife" features in their multitools.  Other manufacturers have been doing this already, from liner locks to OH blades to fancy steels, so it only makes sense that SOG does it as well.

Only by creating one of everything can we truly see what does and doesn't work.  I have to say, the prototype didn't impress me, and I see some inherent problems, but it was a prototype, and I have been wrong before (many times!) so I'm not writing it off yet!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline carl

Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 05:20:07 AM
I'd rather have two "regular" one handed opening blades like those on the Wave.  Who needs spring assisted opening on a multitool ???

Too gadgety for me.
Unfortunately, I agree.  SOG, please just concentrate on better BASIC concepts like outside-opening tools, one-handed blades, and decent locks.  That's what makes a winner, not gagetry.  Who even misses MTs like the out-of-production Switchlock ?         

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%