Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK Jig

us Offline WoodMan

SAK Jig
on: November 17, 2012, 04:08:49 PM
I wanted to share a SAK jig that I've found useful.  I use it to confirm positioning/operation of components.  It doesn't help with actual assembly.

The first image shows the opener layer installed on the jig.  The rods are cut from a wire coat hanger, but any slightly undersized metal wire will work, of course.

The second image shows the blade layer on the jig.  The large blade on this knife was savagely sharpened by a previous owner and will be replaced.

The third image shows an 84mm combo tool installed in place of the small blade.  Due to encouragement in another thread, I acquired and disassembled a cellidor Bantam to obtain the combo tool.  The jig confirms that the 84mm combo tool works perfectly on the 91mm knife in direct replacement of the small blade and the only modification required is the redrilling of the hole in the combo tool.

The fourth image shows the blade layer tools in the deployed position.  The wooden blank on top allows even pressure/clamping to be applied to the assembled knife to confirm correct operation.

IMG_0529 800x533.jpg
* IMG_0529 800x533.jpg (Filesize: 130.3 KB)
IMG_0530 800x533.jpg
* IMG_0530 800x533.jpg (Filesize: 124.64 KB)
IMG_0531 800x533.jpg
* IMG_0531 800x533.jpg (Filesize: 132.51 KB)
IMG_0532 800x533.jpg
* IMG_0532 800x533.jpg (Filesize: 127.02 KB)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:10:29 PM by WoodMan »

de Offline crackout

Re: SAK Jig
Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 04:26:50 PM
The rods are cut from a wire coat hanger, but any slightly undersized metal wire will work, of course.

Doesn't look so slightly to me. ;)
I found that non-matching pivot holes and pinstock result in a lot of snap-loss, which would influence your testing results, especially when working with reshaped tools and springs.
Say my name.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 04:56:23 PM
I do something kind of similar.  I use aluminum blocks and sink brass rods in them to use as test fit up blocks for each size and type of SAK I work on.  It makes things easier than trying to use individual pins for sure.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline WoodMan

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 05:02:19 PM
The rods are cut from a wire coat hanger, but any slightly undersized metal wire will work, of course.

Doesn't look so slightly to me. ;)
I found that non-matching pivot holes and pinstock result in a lot of snap-loss, which would influence your testing results, especially when working with reshaped tools and springs.

I measure .071"/1.81mm for the wire coat hanger stock that I used.  This undersizing allows for easy assembly of parts on the jig.  It also allowed me to check the fit of the 84mm tool on the 91mm frame since the diameter is smaller than both the 2.5mm and 2.2mm standards. 

I get snap on pretty much all the tools I've checked so far although in a few cases, the backsprings were obviously shot.  Replacement with a newer backspring took care of the problem.  Identification of worn out backsprings is another advantage of this jig that I neglected to mention.

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 06:19:16 PM
i use the same idea for assebly  :tu: holding everypart in your hand trying to get the knife together is a real nightmare
custom swiss army knives

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD