Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Stainless Steel Blackener 370

Mike · 3 · 3672

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Stainless Steel Blackener 370
on: March 19, 2008, 09:12:39 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has used this product-Stainless Steel Blackener 370 from http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm It's down towards the lower portion of the page.

I saw someone on another forum mention they wanted to try this on a watch. Specifically on one of these Casio AMW320R-1EV as a poor man's Chronosport UDT  So, I contacted the company via live chat and they said it might not attack o-rings or plastic. Obviously they recommended to test on similar non-critical parts first. If that were the case though, a person might be able to simply clean the watch, buckle, etc really well and simply dunk it in the chemical, then rinse to give a nice blackened patina.

This product is used at room temperature and does not require any acid cleaners or post coloring sealers. It's a Clean-Dunk(for a few minutes)-Rinse procedure. Thought maybe it would work on knife blades and multi-tools as well. It seems like it's a cold bluing, but for stainless steel.

Thanks for any information you can give.
Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Stainless Steel Blackener 370
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 10:28:39 PM
I haven't heard of it myself, but JoeBW is pretty knowledgeable about this stuff- maybe he'll know something?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Stainless Steel Blackener 370
Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 12:49:29 AM
That's new to me. (I've tried a variety of Birchwood Casey gun blueing products on stainless steel, to no effect.) Too bad they don't sell smaller/cheaper bottles of it though.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%